• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins trade rumors

IFallsRon

The frustrating part is how cheap the pirates gave away sanchez for. I like the twins but they need to do a little to improve.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PierBridge

• KMR85

• greebs

• zamboni

Oh and good luck to the Yankee's winning the world series this year.

Yankee's Worlds series Wins in the last 9 years...ZERO.

Central division World series titles in the last 4 years ONE.

Yankee's World Series participants in the last 8 years.. ONE

Central divisions World series participants in the last 4 years TWO.

Go Yankee's maybe you can buy it this year. I'll take baseball the way it was meant to played any day of the week over this $250,000,000 a year payroll non-sense any day and sunday!

Go Yanks..LOL

I think you need to look at the payrolls of the two central teams that went to the WS in the last 4 years compared to the Twins. Chicago and Detroit spent some big money. Of course it wasn't Yankee spending, but no one here wants us to be like the Yankees. I absolutely despise how they spend money. Pretty sure this last offseason they spent close to our entire payroll. Either way, we could have picked up Sanchez and a reliever from Pitt without giving up too much. Probably could have thrown in Casilla, Keppel, and Harris to get two decent guys from Pitt. I like Harris, but he brings more in a trade than Punto or Delmon.

I guess I'll take having a better team year in and year out than the Tigers and Sox like we have for the last decade. To me anyway that gives us a better chance to Win the Series!

And if we're going to be flip flopping "not you kmr85" and basing it on World series titles I'll take our 2 in the last 21 yrs over the Tigers ZERO in 25 yrs and the Sox's 1 in the last 90 yrs.

Different strokes for different folks I guess and thats fine!

I was hoping we'd get Sanchez and starter also but I disagree we could have easily done it nor do I think Sanchez would have been that big of a difference maker.

Lets face it short of signing Pujols or Nolan Ryan we aren't going to be pleasing a lot of FANS around here J/K "joke" "lighten up "... grin

Star Trib is reporting that we could have had Sanchez for Valencia straight up. That's kind of a tough one to decide, since Valencia is supposed to be our future 3B. I still think the future is now and if we got Sanchez for a run, we may have a better chance at keeping Joe around. Although it would take more than just Sanchez to keep him here, it would be a start.

Agreed! I feel the Pain but it is what it is so I just go with it.. kind of like politics... grin

Yes, very much like politics. Just go with the flow. If things turn out for the worse in a couple seasons, the owners will see it with low attendance.

I didn't say I necessarily like everything they do. I just know I'm not going to change the Pohlads mind on how they run a very successful business in a smaller market with the rules stacked against them.

I don't see us losing Mauer or any attendance issues in the near future.

EDIT: I just noticed Sanchez is a lot better than I thought and he could have been a difference maker.

The Pohlads are running a very unprofitable team for many years.

The success on the field is not of their doing.

That's crazy in MY opinion!

And the team is not all that profitable and it has no bearing on their already BILLIONAIRE wealth!

The Pohlads are running a very unprofitable team for many years.

The success on the field is not of their doing.

Anyone that says they aren't making money has never bought a $6 beer at the Dome, then multiplied that by number they sell a year divided by the cost of a keg and how many beers can be had out of said keg. Not to mention hot dogs, $40 hats (that same hat costs $25-$30 at the mall) foam fingers and anything else they sell out in the concourse. Then throw in ticket prices and luxury box prices. If that isn't making them money, nothing is.

I didn't say I necessarily like everything they do. I just know I'm not going to change the Pohlads mind on how they run a very successful business in a smaller market with the rules stacked against them.

I don't see us losing Mauer or any attendance issues in the near future.

EDIT: I just noticed Sanchez is a lot better than I thought and he could have been a difference maker.

Justin Morneau told the press in an interview that Mauer stated that if the Twins did not go out and get a few better players to make the team a bit better, he would leave the Twins.

So I would beg to differ with you Pier on the statement that mauer will not leave.

I would agree with ya Harvey, it's hard to think otherwise. I just don't think we'll have what it takes to keep those guys here. Why do you think Santana, and Hunter left. Yeah more money, but if they thought we were going to win they would have stayed. i would say the same for the M&M boys!

Anyone that says they aren't making money has never bought a $6 beer at the Dome, then multiplied that by number they sell a year divided by the cost of a keg and how many beers can be had out of said keg. Not to mention hot dogs, $40 hats (that same hat costs $25-$30 at the mall) foam fingers and anything else they sell out in the concourse. Then throw in ticket prices and luxury box prices. If that isn't making them money, nothing is.

I think a big portion of the money that comes from food concession stands goes to the vikings, even during Twins games. I think the Vikes are the main lessee of the dome and the Twins sort of sub-lease from the Vikes. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think that's how it works.

If the Twins dont pick up help and keep Mauer and Morneau then Im done with baseball forever. New public funded stadium now, no more excuses.

My thoughts exactly. I won't support a club that gets a publicly funded stadium, then the owners don't put any money towards bringing in good ball players.

Twins have no choice, spend big, or have a fan backlash so great that we will become the washington nationals with 2000 fans a night.

You Twin fans are always welcome to come over to the N Side of Chi-town you know.

I came to this thread late and have to laugh at the title. Rumors. Every year it's rumors. Personally there is no one left. Eat crow and finish 3rd, get 2 free agents next year that cost no picks. Oh, I forgot.

This line up would look alright

Span

Mauer

Morneau

Hunter

Kubel

Cuddy

Crede

Soriano

Bartlett

Santana

Holliday

Baker

Blackburn

x (I actually like the swarzak kid)

I'd like Hunter, Santana, Bartlett back please, and we could've given up Garza a couple years ago for Soriano, but chose not to, only to give him up later for Delmon Young. Doh.

So much to address so little time...LOL

First off, Harvey, If Mauer leaves the Twins you get your lodging and gas money payed for by me to the Next Sturgeon Excursion you attend...Done Deal... smile

Anybody else want to bet straight up cash I'll gladly take the action.

So we're the Washington Nationals now and the New stadium isn't even open yet...

I guess I give up on this one.

It's always quick to make the twins out to be crud if we don't trade. It's the same banter year after year. This guy will leave, that guy wants more money, etc. etc. Mauer will NOT leave MN. He was born here, raised here, and has been here hiw whole life. The twins WILL pay him his dues. Can you imagine the backlash if the twins let the hometown boy go and the yankees signed him. Good bye fans at the new ballpark.

Why would he want to stay on an avg team his whole career. If we don't win, or do somethinig TO win it will be tough to sign him when his contract is up, Morneau too. He helps Mauer out quite a bit, w/o Morneau Mauer wouldn't see as many pitches. I could see them both gone when their contracts are up if we don't add some talent somewhere on the team.

It's always quick to make the twins out to be crud if we don't trade. It's the same banter year after year. This guy will leave, that guy wants more money, etc. etc. Mauer will NOT leave MN. He was born here, raised here, and has been here hiw whole life. The twins WILL pay him his dues. Can you imagine the backlash if the twins let the hometown boy go and the yankees signed him. Good bye fans at the new ballpark.

Joe has stated that he will leave if they don't get some better players so they have a better chance at winning it all.

That is what Joe stated. One cannot say he won't leave. Money is not the whole picture. Whats a few million to a good ball player?

Depends on the ball player. Many an athlete has gone to really, really bad teams because of more money.

With Mauer, this is probably not the case. He would need the right opportunity before he considered leaving. He has to realize the value of being a home town guy with an MVP type bat right behind him. He's got a brand new ball park in which he will be one of two premier hitters.

It's somewhat rare to have it all: League-wide competetive team, great salary, great fan support, nice ball park. He's got 3 out of 4. We're 1-2 starting pitchers, some middle reief, and an infield bat with pop away from being really competetive (okay that's a lot!).

Yeah, and If the vikings had a QB, Fullback, Center, Right Guard, Right Tackle, Safety, dominating linebackers, and a more creative Head Coach, we'd be on our way to the superbowl.

LOL>

I think you have to consider ties. Once a player has a wife and kids, it's often difficult to uproot them from their home/schools/friends/etc. Mauer and Morneau don't have those sort of ties yet. If the Yankees offer them $50 million more than they're going to get here, they'll leave. You would've liked to think Tori was a home town guy. He left.

Depends on the ball player. Many an athlete has gone to really, really bad teams because of more money.

With Mauer, this is probably not the case. He would need the right opportunity before he considered leaving. He has to realize the value of being a home town guy with an MVP type bat right behind him. He's got a brand new ball park in which he will be one of two premier hitters.

It's somewhat rare to have it all: League-wide competetive team, great salary, great fan support, nice ball park. He's got 3 out of 4. We're 1-2 starting pitchers, some middle reief, and an infield bat with pop away from being really competetive (okay that's a lot!).

The problem with this rationale is that the yankees will have lots of strong bats to surround him and they've also got a brand new ballpark. They've also got a league-wide competitive team, great fan support, and they will likely pitch a whole lot of $ at him if we don't get him signed to an extension before that comes about.

What I understand about Mauer is it isn't the money. He wants to win it all. He has been very competitive all his life and that has not gone away. He will leave if the Twins don't sign some players to give them a shot at the WS.

just seen a rumor that orlando cabrera is getting traded to the twins.

we'll see. that would be a solid move.

Quote:
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Twins have acquired Orlando Cabrera from the A's for 21-year-old shorstop Tyler Ladendorf.

Ladendorf has a .322/.403/.496 batting line, four home runs and 21 RBI and three stolen bases in 121 at-bats this season at the Single-A level. He may not be in striking distance of a major league job for two or three years, but is young and cheap -- just how Oakland GM Billy Beane likes 'em. On the other end of the deal, Cabrera finally gives Minnesota a reliable shortstop, both at the plate and in the field. They're making a run for the AL Central. Jul. 31 - 1:09 pm et

Source: Yahoo! Sports on Twitter