• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Record Dogfish?

any news yet?

It'd be interesting to know if they'd give her the record after it had been buried for a day and a half.

there'll probably be an asterisk by it in the book.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muddog

• Jakesbuds

• JBMasterAngler

• The Grebe

There is absolutely no way they'd give her a record, but I imagine they'd be interested in seeing it.

So this got me thinking, would the first few days of decomposition add weight to a buried fish or subtract? laugh

dude, bowfin are skanked out. You guys always claim there so misunderstood and so native, coyotes are native and id never let one of them live,

Bowfin, just like pike and bass are predators...they are just as important of a link in keeping stunted panfish in check. Plus they put up a darn good fight!

By the way, 17 pounds would destroy the state record (11 lbs 4 oz). I believe the world record is about 21.5 pounds, out of alabama I think.

dude, bowfin are skanked out. You guys always claim there so misunderstood and so native, coyotes are native and id never let one of them live,

I would..

If more people had more common sense, we would need so many regulations.

Quote:

So do you think Bowfin should be killed on sight?

No matter what you think or someone tells you, a fish is just a fish. There are no bad fish. If thing get out of wack one fish type population will explode. Take the big Head Carp, Our lakes and streams have so much nutrient in them and so much plant matter because of the nutrient over load, that no other fish are exploiting that Big Head Carp are finding a prime environment with no competition. This doesn’t make them bad, they are just taking advantage of what we are so willing to give them.

BBB if you want a copy post your email and ill send it to you. Just a regular spreadsheet on one page so it can be folded and stuck in your box...Just in case

I'll take one if you wouldent mind.

Originally Posted By: Jakesbuds
BBB if you want a copy post your email and ill send it to you. Just a regular spreadsheet on one page so it can be folded and stuck in your box...Just in case

I'll take one if you wouldent mind.

Whats your email address bud?

On another note, any updates on this story?

Alright here's the update so far. Sorry I've been busy and this lady moved departments so it's harder to keep in contact.

She said the DNR has had a hundred questions because although the fish is shaped like a dogfish the scales are more carp-like. They aparently also said that it wouldn't be possible for carp and dogfish to interbreed?? Sooo, she's waiting for the genetic testing to come back on just what exactly this fish is, weird I know. Perhaps it is a cross.

that's odd, scales????? the scales of a carp is 5x bigger than a bowfin. a 40" carp would have silver dollar size scales compared to a 40" bowfin which should be about dimes size. all they need to look at is the head. if the biologist can't even tell the diff between the two, makes me wonder how many fish goes misid'ed. i think it's rather ridiculous. even if it's partially decomp'ed, the skull bone structure is still there for easy id.

if you want a copy post your email and ill send it to you. Just a regular spreadsheet on one page so it can be folded and stuck in your box...Just in case

Jakesbuds I'll take one if it not too much of a hassle

[email protected]

Could be a different kind of carp species...although, I don't think there is any kind of carp that looks remotely similar to a bowfin.

haha, how could they not ID a bowfin? look at the jaw, my god. Unless maybe she cut the head off and put it on a stake to ward off any undesirable intruders, a 17 pound bowfin would have a pretty frightening skull.

bowfinskull.gif

Thanks!

All requests for the Spreadsheet sent! Good Luck and hopefully you need it someday!

So is it safe to assume this Dogfish was some kind of carp?

and the plot thickens more, maybe its a one of a kind fish half carp, half dogfish with some good sewage dna

This is bugging me I want to know the result.. so if it is true I can give up on catching the state record..

IMO, there is no way this should even be considered for the record books. Too many questions surround the whole deal. Great story though!!

I'm just as excited to find out as everyone else. My hopes are down now though but I can't wait to hear the final result!

Aside from the size of em, a dogfishes scales being much smaller, they aren't even shaped the same. Nor could it be a gar, same deal. Maybe she got Buffalo fish and Dog fish mixed up?

What did she catch it on, what kind of bait? The fins should tell the story, dog fish have different dorsal fins....kind of one contineous fin....no pointed fin bones. Shape of the head, size of the eyes, the teeth.

Unless it is some kind of exotic, it shouldn't be that hard to ID? Even if it was and exotic type of fish, that would be evident also. Is this happening to anyone else?

Did something get changed? I get a few paragraphs typed and the box jumps back up to the last paragraph? This happened on other threads also? Is th

Is anyone else having trouble posting? The text keeps jumping around after you get to the end of the box. Has there been a limit put on length of replys? I can't even get back to the home page? That keeps jumping around also?