• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anthony Swarzak sent down

SledNeck

I honestly thought that Anthony Swarzak would stay up with the club. He has performed well...better than some OTHER Twins starters NOT named Baker, Blackbrun, and Slowey...

uggg

Well HelI.... For that matter substitute him for the hated Crain Wreck in the pen.

typical twins move. he just mows down a club, send him down and bring up a pitcher who got rocked a couple of times so he fakes a injury. way to take the high road glen.

Yeah I definately think he should have stayed with the club, if not as a starter then as a reliever.

I honestly thought that Anthony Swarzak would stay up with the club. He has performed well...better than some OTHER Twins starters NOT named Baker, Blackbrun, and Slowey...

uggg

Guess I've been watching a different Twins team with a pitcher named Slowey. The Slowey I've seen pitch has been doing pretty dam good. Crain or Liriano should have gone and Swarzak stay.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck

uggg

Guess I've been watching a different Twins team with a pitcher named Slowey. The Slowey I've seen pitch has been doing pretty dam good. Crain or Liriano should have gone and Swarzak stay.

Sleds saying Blackburn, Baker and Slowey are doing good.

Gardenhire does a few things that always leave me scratching my head- this is one of them

Swarzak had no control in the last two outings he had. He looked a little rattled, maybe gardy didnt want to leave him out to completely wreck his confidence before sending him down. . . We need help in the pitching department.

a heathly neshek would be awesome.

After a 7 inning shut out? That is a head scratcher.

I agree. Why in the world would you send a player down after one of the best pitching performances of the year? I don't question many of Gardy's choices very often, but this is definitely one of them. Swarzak really looked impressive in that last game.

Again, you don't make long term decisions particularly with young pitchers on such SHORT term samplings its not how its done and the Twins origination is the best in the business in the area of developing young talent CORRECTLY! it's a marathon not a one game playoff.

So far I like him but its not like there is a scouting report on him and he hasn't faced the same batters enough to have enough data on how good he'll be!

I wouldn't blame Gardy either. I'll bet he'd rather have had him stay up, but the front office has the future of this KID and the team to consider versus living for the moment like we do sometimes!

I don't ecpect him in the Bullpen anytime soon either it appears he could be a good starter some day!

Don't get me wrong I do understand the frustration but there are many reasons he was sent down. Reasons ranging from his contract to his confidence which all lead to his LONG term success..

He'll be back..... grin

Go Twins!

There you go again PB...trying to make some sense for some of the naysayers.

It took Baker, Slowley, Perkins all several trips to the big time before they came up to stay. I think I even remember a guy named Santana that got sent down.

It happens to them all, but it sure seems like once we have some good talent, they trade them off for the next (up-and-coming) BIG thing.

I can't believe Joe nathan has lasted this long.

Swarzak being sent down shouldn't be much of a surprise. And I don't think Gardy had a lot of options right now.

With Cuddy, Crede and Span banged up they needed another bench player. Swarzak went down to bring up Morales so they had another option off the bench.

Swarzak was expendable becuase Perkins was coming back as well when Crain was sent down. With Perkins healthy I think you need to go with him over Swarzak as he's had a longer period of success. Swarzak had 1 good game and other not so good games so its not like he was just blowing teams away.

I suspect you'll see him back before the end of the year but right now I wouldn't worry to much about it. Perkins came back and pitched very well so in the end it looked like a good decision.

The point is still the same. He was doing well but he wasn't blowing the doors off of hitters. Trading him for Perkins in the rotation is a pretty fair trade.

I just don't think you can take Perkins job away from him and give it to a guy who is unproven and done no better then Perkins has.

I don't see why they are scared to demote Liriano. Throw him in the pen or send him down for a bit.

I just looked and Liriano has 6 quality starts out of his 13 starts. A quality start means 6 innings giving up 3 runs or less.

Here's my guess on the front office's thought process:

Perkins went on the DL, allowing him to rehab for 30 days in the minors without using an option. He may not have options remaining, so at some point, he must re-join the 25-man active roster and another starting pitcher has to go. If you send Liriano down, you've used up his last option year and you hate to do that at this stage with him.

Players are only charged one option per season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Swarzak/Morales/Tolbert/Pridie up and down from the minors all year to fill gaps based on injuries.

I know it seems easy to think that you can just send players up/down whenever you want, but it's not quite that simple. Player salaries, years of service, and option statuses all come into play.

I just looked and Liriano has 6 quality starts out of his 13 starts. A quality start means 6 innings giving up 3 runs or less.

Guess that means tonight's game isn't a quality start for Frank!! Definitely having some control issues. Mauer asks for one low and away and Frank tosses it over the plate.

I wanna see liriano go to the pen

I wanna see him sent down and Swarzak come back up. It really opened Lirianos eyes last year when he got sent down. He was practically untouchable when he was recalled.

I hope he knows he isn't the same guy he was a few years ago, I know people are going to jump on this and say it was "one night" but c'mon, send the guy to the pen.

A clutch hit for the Twins last night and it would have changed the outcome of the game. Right now there is not one person who has come through when it has been needed most. Same thing on the road trip, a couple clutch hits and some of the losses would have been wins. They have some great hitters, just not in clutch situations. The bullpen needs a complete overhaul as well. If we bring up Swarzak, Liriano might give the bullpen a lift. Even if that happens our pen will still be garbage IMO.

I agree with what you have all said about Swarzak being sent down. Some great points there. I guess professional baseball is run a lot different than most other professional sports. They don't have minor league football, basketball, or hockey in the same sense as minor league baseball as players come up and down all the time. Allthough I think they do a little in hockey, but not the extent they do in baseball.

I just see this as a player who pitches one of the best, if not the best, games I have seen all year. Any other level of baseball besides the professional level, or in any other sport in the professional level, you would never see a player benched or let go after a great game. I realize Perkins earned his spot where he is now, but we have some pretty questionable players as well. I know it's a long season, but I like to go with the players that are playing GOOD as of late and coming off of great games. Confidence can carry a player into huge hot streaks. I thought Swarzak had that type of flow going for him.

I think he wrote his own ticket down based on the two games prior. Not so good. He totally melted down in Oakland. For pete's sake he hit a guy in the head. And it wasn't like it was one pitch that got away from him, he totally couldn't find the strike zone period. The game previous to that he wasn't very good either. The nice thing and what I think everybody including the organization saw was he bounced back in his last start and showed what he has and what he's made of. I beleive he'll back especially the way the option-thing works. He can come back forth all year as needed. Its a long season and its almost assured one of our starters will falter or need some DL time. The other thinig is, Swarzak is being groomed to be a starter. I don't think they want him in the pen or missing any starts. Back down to Roch, get your innings in, get your work in, and he'll be back.

Zamboni, I think you get your wish sooner than you think, if Swarzak is still doing well down there, or as Sledneck said stick him in the pen. The franchise has a great ERA the first time through the order, after that it jumps quite a bit..