• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Sallie Fishing Reports

I used to live in Dilworth and moved for job reasons. I came back three years ago and now live in Fargo. I still fish all

the places around DL I used to and will continue to do so. A buddy of mine from SD and I just spent the last five days northeast of DL catching and releasing EVERYTHING we caught. Walleye up to six pounds and slabs up to 14"+ while happily spending around 6 to 8 hundred in camp fees, bait, food, gas etc. to do so. We have the dates for next year already lined up to spend the cash again and release everything we catch. ( unless a 17" crappie for the wall comes my way that is). Good luck to all and remember, the small resorts that survive from cash from all over are very appreciative. CATCH AND RELEASE.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pan man

• auggie78

• paceman

• SM1

Copter,

I used to have phenomenal crappie fishing on Mellisa and Sallie. I still do pretty good if I spend some time looking for them but you are right, the numbers are not quite there like they once may have been.

I fished Melissa yesterday and all the fish were on the weedlines in about 14-15 feet of water. Nothing special to mention being caught except for a bad sunburn. The whole afternoon we saw a black helicopter flying around. Was that Copter John?

Any word on if the big northerns have started hitting on Sallie yet? I havent been out there in a few weeks

There were some nice ones caught the other day out there. Junk weeds are not up as much as usual which is nice for fishing cranks.

As Brett mentioned, lake is running behind normal but fishing has been very good. Last Friday eve we found large fish suspended a few feet under the surface over 29 fow and had a ball.

I was out on Sallie today and got some nice ones while crappie fishing. We saw a dead northern that had to be pushing 40", the thing was gigantic.

nice day for fishing got some nice gills and a couple of bass no pike wich was strange but was fun anyhow my three yr old cought his first fish all by himself was cool to see expecially when he looked at me and told me to give him nuckles

Thats priceless!! We were up on Upper Red for the weekend not alot of fish but had a good time. Weather was great!

Did the same a couple of days ago. Caught several nice bass but no pike. Tons of minnows in the water.

cought one of the little fry out on one bar to see what they where and it was perch fry going to be alot of them i'd bet next year but mayby the slimers are gorging on them thats why they wouldn't bite

• 1 month later...

I have never before been skunked on one of my favorite lakes and last night, my wife and I were skunked. One broken fishing rod, 400 mosquito bites, and nothing to show for it but fresh air and a little sunburn forhead. I am not complaning too much, I was glad to be out and on the water but not even a darn snot rocket. frown Oh Well, Happy labor day everyone. Just got home from 6 hours at Rollag's Steamer Hill taking pictures. Check out photography forum later tonight or tommorow if you want to see my results.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=74&page=1

Dont think you are alone Paul. I have been skunked the last two times I went out. Fished with Leeches and Fatheads. 30ft to 14ft. Nothing. I think its the weather. I think tomorrow night is going to be the night to get out. With the front moving in hopefully the walleyes start hitting.

I didnt fish sallie this weekend, but I was out for a pontoon ride Sunday and I didnt see any hooks out deep. Mid last week they were all over the place.

I did get a chance to run up to LOW for some downrigging. We did well over two days. Nothing big but good numbers. 23" was the biggest fish. I also had the first (and second) wave come up over the bow on my 18' boat. I guess a good carpet washing never hurt.

• 2 months later...

Am planning on getting one more weekend on the water now that I am done deer hunting. Anyone been on Sallie lately or know how the northerns are out there after turnover? Thanks

• 1 month later...

A few houses popping up. They are fishing the first shorline break. Most are walking out but there was a blazer driving out there last night. Sounds like small perch/walleyes. I will put my house out there this afternoon. The perch action is good for the little dudes. Waiting for driveable ice to exlpore other areas....

Any other reports from Sallie???,

Also, I have always fished walleye on sallie, are there any crappies or sunfish, northerns that are worth trying ?? THANKS May be Heading there saturday and will report back if so.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know if they are drivin out there yet? just got back from five days of fishin leech lake did real good on jumbos and the eyes

they were driving midsize SUVs out last week before xmas. Don't know how bad the snow conditions and flooding are though. I don't have any recent reports as I also was out of town.

I've got Dad duty all weekend, but let me know how you do. I might have to sneak out there one evening after work.

I have a buddy out there. He is driving his full size truck. Ice is about 11 inches. He is catching quite a few tiny (6-7") eyes. He had one keeper last week. Pretty slow from his report.

fished sallie tonite, setup in about 20 ft. got there a lil late but caught 2 14in eyes and missed a few others. they were down there but they didnt want much to do with it.tried lots of different things