• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So hows the fishing going has it picked up at all ? Was out sunday an was pertty slow lots of fish down there but only ended up with 5 crappies

Panfish are pretty much always biting out there. I bet you were fishing in some group of houses if it was slow? Honestly, if you are gonna do that, you're gonna have a tough time.

Washington is a meat market as long as you stay away from guys and go seek out some fish that haven't been pounded on. Recently when I have tried out there have had good luck. But sometimes it takes a few holes to make it happen. Ploppin down next to a bunch of guys is good for drinkin beer, but tough to get many fish. 2c

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• DLK

• BoneCollector9

• dan z

Negative. Actually tried both with drilling lots of holes. Surprisingly caught all the fish with the groups of shacks. Just havent been able to have luck when out adventuring new areas. Drilled holes all over bakers bay about 5 days ago with minimal luck. Back to the drawing board.

Tons of people drilled hundreds of holes all over bakers bay today and just kept on moving guessing they weren't having any luck. Houses were really on the move out of Bakers for the most part. It's getting pretty sloppy out there hope the perms got some blocking under them by tomorrow otherwise there's going to be some chiseling to be done on Sunday. Walked over and talked to the one closest to our perm "I read in the outdoor news fish are biting in Bakers Bay" LMAO

We did manage one jumbo perch today. Thought I was on Mille Lacs for a minute then realized I had saved $200 in gas

I managed to get a limit of crappies this morning. It was a tough bite to say the least. Every fish I caught had to be earned, meaning you had to coax them to bite. I had a couple that would follow the jig for 10 minutes before taking it. One thing that helped me was a tip I read on another thread last night. Using a rattling buckshot with 1/2 a minnow produced the most hits. If you are not getting any takers, mix it up a bit. Change lure, color or size of lure, change bait, or jigging technique. If you just drop a hook and minnow under a bobber and leave it sit and wait for the bobber to go to the bottom of the hole you are in for a long boring day on the ice.

Was out the other evening. Fished in 6 different spots ranging from about 15' to 43' and caught nothing. Was using minnows and spikes. Anyone have any tips? We're desperate. There's plenty of people out on the lake so someone's gotta be catchin' something.

I have never Fished lake washington in the winter but am planning on makeing a day trip on thursday for a couple hours. Which landing are most people using? hows the ice? is there any where on the lake I should watch out for if i drive my 1/2 ton out?

Thanks in advance

I have made numerous posts on Washington bite the last few weeks. been there 5 times or so and had good fishing every trip.

I have been fishing between 3rd point and Grassy Island.

For gills, I have been west of Grassy about 75 yards in water from 14-17 fow. drill some holes and you will fish this area from say 13-20fow. You should catch some gills in these holes using a small pink and white or green and white panfish jig tipped with a red spike. Has worked for me every trip during the week and 1 day on Saturday.

Crappie, I would go between the island and 3rd point anywhere and drill some holes and use the same bait as I have for the gills. Best time for this area for crappie for me has been in the am from 6-9am. I have also picked up some eyes here also.

If you are in search of some pike, the area around Grassy Island has been giving up some pike too. maybe a tip up with a small sucker or a jig and minnow or deadstick.

I can honestly tell you this has been the ticket for me almost every trip out. Biggest tip from me to you, drill holes until you mark or ice some fish. many times in these spots, you will ice 3-4 and then a small wait until the next pod comes through.

As far as a jigging techinque, the fish will have to tell u when to jig aggressively or not. When u are jigging the panfish lure and red spike, I would also have a deadstick down with a hook and live minnow with an ice buster bobber just incase the eyes are around or the crappie wopuld like the minnows instead of the spikes.

Good luck and like I statted, cut holes and search and u should be rewarded. I like to stay as far away from the big group of houses as possible but, u can catch nice fish by them at times also. If you can go out during the week, best for the bite as there will be far less traffic and noise on the lake to turn the fish off.

I have never Fished lake washington in the winter but am planning on makeing a day trip on thursday for a couple hours. Which landing are most people using? hows the ice? is there any where on the lake I should watch out for if i drive my 1/2 ton out?

Thanks in advance

I would say from the 5-6 times I have been there, 50% on Bakers Bay and Mud bay out of the Westwood landing and the other half out of the North landing fishing by grassy, 2nd and 3rd point areas.

Ice I have found to be from 12-14 inches last week befdore it got to warm.

I would NOT drive your truck between the east and west sides of the lake throught the narrows. I would also not drive to close to the shallow area by Squireels nest point from mud bay to Baker's bay.

On the east side I drive close the the weeds above the ice by Grassy Island but not withing say 75 yards or so. I also do not drive to close to 2nd or 3rd point.

The post I made above has been good fishing for me for all specie this ice season in the last few weeks.

If you see my white chevy pick up with a black Canvas Craft portable in this area next week on Thursday, stop and say Hi and I will tell you what I know and have found. More than Likely I will be on the ice by 6am and moving around by 7:30 searching for fish. My name is Tom.

Don't be shy, stop and say hi. I will be out of the North landing between grassy Island to the left of the landing or staight south to 3rd point on the ice somewhere.

I would guess I will be there form 6am till probably 9-10am, depending how good the bite is and how cold it is. Won't be there if the temps are well below zero

Thanks for the update and pointers on where to drive and where not to. Right now i'm thinking were probably going to drive out from the north landing. I will make sure to stop and say hi if we get out early, however i am thinking we probably will not be out on the lake until around 1 or 2pm. I drive a blue f-150 and fish out of a Red Eskimo flipover.

I heard of a house going through in Baker's Bay on Washignton last Monday. Any body know if this is true and if so where it would be located? I hadn't heard of anything until now so just wondering...

Been a follower for awhile Hervey user as well as a die hard washington lake ice fishermen. I will keep my eyes open for you. 97' red dodge and dark blue old school shappell or a blue clam flip over.

I headed out to Washington yesterday, fished from 8:00 til 5:00. Managed to get a nice limit of bluegills and a few crappies mixed in. Blue ant tipped with a waxie was the hot lure. I can't remember a year when the ice fishing has been as good. Access are in great shape and haven't seen any vehicles stuck in the snow. laugh

Gonna take a buddy and his 2 daughters out to washington sat. can anyone tell me how the ice is from westwood to bakers? still driving out there? its been a while since ive been there, also are the panfish still in bakers? i realize its the big bobber contest so i hope bakers isnt too crazy. thanks for any input.

• 1 year later...

Have not been there yet this winter, how is the ice and depth off the north landing out to 3rd point and also out of Westwood going around the point to bakers bay? Thanks for any info?

On Monday I heard 3rd point had 3-5 inches and 2nd point had anywhere from 4-7inches, ice varies everywhere on every lake, and hear some perch are biting all over on washington

As of last Saturday I found 4-7". Drill a bunch of holes and get flooded out. One hole would have that 7", next hole ten feet away would have 4". Quite spotty.

As posted the ice is variable and getting pretty trampled by foot traffic and wheelers even some snowmobile tracks... fishing has been pretty good Tom. Pm me if you want details...

My concern is if it rains or warms up enough to form water on the ice.

All those holes people have drilled will grow in size due to the water flowing in then freeze over creating man traps.

If you can see them and avoid them no problem but if it snows and covers them up it makes for dangerous walking.