• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smelt are one of the biggest reasons walleyes dont bite like they should on Pokegama. This is the walleyes main source of food on the lake. The lake is loaded with smelt. Another reason why the walleyes are so fat on Pokegama.

• 5 weeks later...

What time has been best for those people fishing Sun Up vs Sun Down?

Is this the same in winter vs summer?

I was up north this weekend and talked to the guy at Ben's Bait Shop, said Pokie really got hit hard this year for crappies. Kinda bummed, it use to be one of my go-tos for big crappies, not many people knew about it. Any of you guys get out there this year?

did pretty good out there early this year. Went out one day caught a bunch of craps and gills and went out the next day and every body and there brother was out there. Cant keep a spot to yourself for to long on that lake it seems as far as crappies go

Been out on pokey twice this past week. My spots I usually fish later in the year has been invaded by cigars. Its good to know the eyes are still reproducing good but wheres the keepers? Any one else gettin small ones too?

Talked to a guy with a couple spear houses- 8 to 12 fow, been seen nice eyes but they have lock jaw. Said it doesn't matter what he put down there- some look and go - others just go.

I have been fishing the lake with moderate success for close to 10 years now. Nothing real heavy, but when I go I'm serious. I have gotten to the point ice fishing where I will hit either the dusk or dawn timeframe. Each seem to be about the same. Largely the same in the summer, but we I have caught eyes during the day. To initially figure the lake out after a few years of almost nothing, by brother and I hired a guide. He said he consistently catches walleys all day. We did catch them up through 1:00 in the afternoon. All told that day we probably caught 6 eyes or so in that outing along with some nice smallmouth. On my own, I have added a few to the livewell during the day, but I normally chase other species during the day, or do deep water tactics.

I have also seen BIG eyes laying in 6-8 FOW in a hole in the cabbage weeds. 2 sows just laying there.

The Keg is quite a lake!

The Tioga access area gets POUNDED, as does the Trooptown area. I'm gonna grab the wheeler and do some exploring once the snow melts down a bit. With a little work a guy should have no problem finding some panfish that probably haven't seen a hook all winter!!!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever target lakers on pokie?? it looks like a needle in a haystack sort of deal but I just seen pics of a decent fish a guy caught out of the lake from an area that you would not think held lake trout. Me being a laker fanatic am just kind of curious being all of the itasca county lake trout waters besides pokie wich is considered clear water itself are aqua blue making them tough to fish especially this time of year.

I tried it 3 times. Twice I was skunked. Once I hooked a pig over 65 fow. I would say it was 15ish. I had it too the hole once and im not exactly sure if it broke the line or I had i nick in it or what but it broke. I was bummed! I know some buddies that caught 3 walleye fishin one day this year in 30 feet of water. I also know people see them spearing quite a bit too! That makes you wonder if you should be in ten feet or 50!

Me and my buddy have caught 6 over the past winter while walleye fishing in 15 FOW or less. It sure is fun to catch them and what a pleasant surprise when walleye fishing. Most are in that 3-4 lb range. I have heard of a spearer that sets up in deeper water and he said he sees a 20+ lber swim by at least every year.

I have tried riggers in the summer with no luck. I have caught nice pike while downrigging, but no lakers. Someday...

Caught some of those trout before season opened- 30 fow. Tried some deep water just a while back - all white fish, so i tried movin to shallower water and do some sight fishin cause of the pike- hooked 1 decsent fish but in shallow water one needs to set the drag alittle different or one breaks the line. Seen some pike that would make a pike fisherman really happy- thats why i said sight fishin cause if the pike come in slow enough one can get his tackle out of the water before he has to buy new. Many of the spear people said they saw trout this year come thru they're hole this year.

I've tried for them in the summer, but have only caught pike.

I too have talked to spear fisherman who regualarly see lakers swim threw the spear hole.

Lee, let me know when/if you want to give it a shot. I've got a couple of ideas. We have through the end of March to trout fish right?

Brian

caught two 3-4 lbers last year in the same hole at different times haven't been out yet this year working to much but if anybody wants to hook up and try i only live a couple blocks off of sherry's arm and will be off for break-up for a few weeks

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im just guessing that since pokie is not as clear of water as bluewater , trout , caribou, or the canisteo pit laker fishing HAS to be better if trout swim in there than those bodies of water wich have kicked my $@%$#%# this yr. Im no expert on pokie either ......Ive fished the lake a very LIMITED amount of times. Im also not surprised you guys say you caught lakers out of shallow water and are surprised.....im a shallow water laker fisherman and have caught plenty of big fish from such and in my opinion offers the best shot at a big laker where deeper water only yields me juvinile lakers more times than not. I fished bluewater the last 2 afternoons and it was a total waste of time.....I seen one fish right before dark and it was pretty timid. I guess old habits die hard with everybody because I should have known not to waste my time there after the hours ive put in with little success..I caaught 2 fish there in about 8 trips. I used to catch and RELEASE lots of fish in the 10 lb class and one that was 18 6yrs ago but now I cant even see a fish on my electronics after many hours of work!! MAKES me wonder!!!! Looking at the stocking reports on trout and blue a guy would feel pretty good about his chances but on trout I have NOT even seen a fish in 5 trips and I know both lakes rather well.

also brian....Id like to give er a shot b4 ice out ...Im hitting b-side and snowbank for a week but ill be itchin to fish after or before work plenty of times b4 ice out.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee--be careful on B'side. The ice is going fast. I was out there last weekend and it was starting to get iffy for me. Several other guys are fishing this week and then calling it. Walking only is the advisable means of transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to my Bro at the cabin and he said Sherry's Arm is out. I am guessing that with this wind it will be out within the next few days. Always an excited time.

I spent Saturday and part of today on the lake (on shore), and with my drive across the bridge on 169, it looked like it was clear. Boy, the wind was blowing on Saturday, so I can see how it'll get eaten up quickly. Bring on the panfish!

• 1 month later...

I have a cabin on Sherrys arm. Jig and minnow. Crank baits, or lindying any help would certainly be appreciated. Thank you and enjoy your time on the water.