• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka Fishing Reports

Just don't troll between the two ends and you'll be fine. They sit on the bottom 6 feet of water. Otherwise you'll be donating your shad raps to some fish counter geek.

LOL fish counter geek. laugh

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjk

• jerkin'm

• Acemac

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

State Math Education Mandate Bulletin:

Please be advised and learn the following equation for the benefit of the public!

Propeller + Absent-minded driver + weedbed = Floating Mess

I deduced this today. Finally, Calculus 6 at the U is paying off!

its bad enough when I have a small amount of line out but when the counter on the leadcore line is at 150 and I have to keep reeling it up to take the weeds off it kind of sucks. Going out at 6 tonight and seeing as grays bay launch has been full by about 5:15 every night (drive by it every night on the way home from work)

probably have to go to indy anyway it seems

PC's there is no "damaged pike numbers" on tonka. Infact it's the exact opposite, the population boomed a few years ago. Funny thing is that the boom in pike happened when the DNR started doubling it's walleye stocking. If you look at Leech the pike population boomed after they increased their stocking as well.

This information all comes directly from our DNR.

Not a bad idea to fish right around the nets! I'm sure they're all bunched up right around them

First thing I noticed was water temps in high 60s - a drop of 10 degrees in a week. Water also cleared up nicely and weeds are poking above the surface. Sunnies have left the shallows and it looks like it is time to concentrate on the deep weed edge. I just picked up a Bird 997 Sidefinder and was zipping around to spots I knew well to learn how to read it. Threw a line back just for fun. Small bass and pike and one mid 20s musky. A deep diving Taildancer caught all the fish - spinners and DTs did nothing. SPeed of 2 to 2.5mph was what the fish wanted.

Was cool to see the baitfish balls and actual fish on the sidefinder. Also learned that the milfoil tends to form a solid wall in almost a straight line at 14ft - very few dips or points. By the end of the evening I found I could troll the weedline with just the sidefinder going. Just keep that weed wall on a certain part of the screen. Was also impressed with the Bird as a straight sonar unit. Now it's time to get down to some big pike hunting.

I was out there yesterday and didn't do very well at all. We got one little bass. We mostly fished edges with jigs, senkos, flukes, and tubes, but did some shallow fishing w/ weightless senkos, flukes, and spinnerbaits. My buddy did really well before I got there, he got into a nice school of average fish and got 10 or 11 in almost consecutive casts.

I've heard a lot of reports of fish being schooled up on shallow breaks and weedlines on there way to deeper water.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys! Moved down to Rochester a few years ago and I'm back up trying to hit my old spots up here. Is the ice safe to drive on out at North Arm Bay on Lake Minnetonka? Is there a road from the public access?

Fishgutz

If you would be going out to try for walleye's, what depth would you start at if you were going to fish the late afternoon/evening?

thanks little chief . .. buddy of mine and I can't decide whether to hit up a smaller lake for crappies and catch some or, head out to Tonka and possibly get skunked. Where would you go on Tonka where if the walleyes aren't hitting you can still catch some pannies?

that's a good question my never fail spot for pannies is empty right now had has been for awhile. we are thinking its because the bigger pike and musky are chasing them out of there as we caught at least a 36" the other day plus we have seen quite a few on the camera. we have been catching perch all day though which makes a little less boring! we have done a lot of exploring and havent been able to really find much for pannies but we have been mainly looking for eyes.

There ia access on south end of lake off CR 51. I was there last weekend and people were driving trucks. I drilled a whole at one spot away from road and ice was only may be 7''.

anyone driving around crane/eagle/wawatossa island? i remember seeing open water mid-winter a few years back near eagle and crane island.

Minnetonka is generally good to drive on but there can be problem areas. The lake can get some good current and the springs and carp in it can help keep ice thin in some areas. I wouldn't say don't drive, but I would say be careful.

Anyone been out there in the past few days and know how thick the ice is? I had 18" on Excelsior Bay a couple weeks ago but with a 3/4 ton Diesel, the warmer temps and todays rain you have to wonder......

I drove out on tonka bay yesterday all the way around Locke point. I drve a Yukon so those weight a ton. The rain won't have much of a effect the snow will insulate the ice so I would say your fine

Checked my shack on Wyz Bay today. Very wet, very slushy. I needed to add some additional blocks to keep it off the water/slush. Had I not done this and we had a cold snap, I think my shack would be pretty locked in. The landings are going to be rough once this freezes again. Just a heads up for people who have houses out on the metro lakes. I did not notice any change in ice thickness from last weekend.

I talked to two of my sons and they had already pulled one of their houses and were heading out to block the other one up. By next Thursday, the cold will be back and there's going to be some really stuck houses.

i have always heard its not safe channels on any lake are the very last to freeze, if they freeze at all. I have a buddy who lives on one of the bays and he just about has it to himself because the channel never freezes and you cant get out there without walking into someones back yard.

The only guys I've seen drive through channels have been snow mobiles, and I watched as they tried to fish one of them out. Some keep open water all winter and some are more dangerous, they skim over enough to sucker you in. As for the bay you can't get on, I've fished it for a lot of years and its nice to have an undisturbed body of water.