• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cedar Lake Fishing Reports - Scott County - New Prague

Radar, was out there yesterday a good 12" of ice and 1/2 ton pickups pretty much all over. As far as the fishing went set up at 10:30 am action was pretty fast til about noon then it was just a couple here and there. good luck

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portlis

• ThunderLund78

• BronzeBrother

• Mike Dumas

Not sure where riff raff was, but this am i was out on the north side of the central group of houses near the small access. i measured with a tape measure 9.5" of ICE. Yes nine point five.... I re checked sevral times thinking i was reading it wrong but no.

People need to be more catious just cuz someone wing nut drives out does not mean its safe for travel.

Zelmer, you remember Bud Steiner putting his car through the ice on Cedar when we were in HS? Lol ... People are morons during early ice. Be careful out there. As far as 10" crops in Cedar ... Check your ruler lol.

This rain sure will make things sketchy out there! Fished Medicine in Plymoth and did well on crappie, 38 ft of water. Nothing big but eaters. How's the bite out there on Cedar?

I went out on Sunday Night and was suprised at the amount of people on the lake.

We had 11 inches under us.

We caught about 50 crappies in a couple of hours and brought home 8 keepers.

This rain sure will make things sketchy out there! Fished Medicine in Plymoth and did well on crappie, 38 ft of water. Nothing big but eaters. How's the bite out there on Cedar?

This cold snap will firm things up in no time. But it will make for a slippery adventure though...

Went out today and drilled 13 inches of ice in 3 different spots. Pretty slow day. I'm guessing all the traffic on the lake has had an adverse affect. Very windy and very cold out there today. Did manage a 9 inch sunny out in the deep spot, other than that, not much.

Measured 14" and growing on the North end. Sucks having a hand auger =\

Fishing seems quite slow during the day. Evening/Morning may be better, but I couldn't get much to bite on minnows, plastics or waxies during daylight hours. With a crappy old Mora hand auger I'm not the most mobile though and not willing to pop 20 holes to search them out. The 908234908 fish houses and fisherman out there might have something to do with it too.

Just got off the lake. drilled some 20 -30 holes found the fish four about 5 minn and then they shut off as the lake grew louder and more crowded.

went out saterday night and caught them nonstop on plastic

first time i ever did that well on plastic

starting hitting at 5:00pm and caught them till i left

very fun

As far as 10" crops in Cedar ... Check your ruler lol.

I'm sure somewhere out there somebody sells a fisherman's ruler that starts at 1"

Still waiting for you to introduce me to cats btw. PM or give me a call sometime. We need to catch up

I've been out a few times in the last couple weeks,. I never caught one bigger than 9.5, most seem to be 8 - 9. I'm sure there are a few larger ones out there. Certainly bigger than the last couple of years.

As far as parking at the north access, it was planted into prairie grass last year, and has no parking signs all over. Ice is thick enough to drive if you are comfortable with it. Cedar has always been iffy for driving due ti currents, areator, etc. My $0.02

Man, it's always been a popular ice fishing lake, but I can't remember the last time it was this packed with perms. This summer I experienced what others have already commented on, the crappies are a bit bigger than they have been running and still plentiful. I'm guessing more will be kept this year which might be a good thing. Now if I could just find a weekend where my wife didn't have to work or that I wasn't sick, I would get out there and see for myself smile

I couldn't believe the sea of humanity out there yesterday, portables, popups, perms and people on buckets......we tried to stay away from everyone else, caught 10-15 of the 9" crappies, and one 12" walleye that came off the bottom at 95 mph

A couple of guys were trying to rescue their wheel house as it seemed to have sunk right next the landing on the north side, not sure of the story behind it, but the ice is only 14" right now

I'm sure somewhere out there somebody sells a fisherman's ruler that starts at 1"

Still waiting for you to introduce me to cats btw. PM or give me a call sometime. We need to catch up

Cody, can't send you a pm, says you've reached your limit. Shoot me a pm or give me a call (952 564-5648) sometime. I've always got an open seat in the boat for ya bud.

They sure didn't seem bigger to me this year. I did keep a few for a meal, but I don't think any of them went more than 8.5. Pretty much identical to last year.

Cedar has been that way for as many years as I've fished it. Summer or winter.

I agree, all the pressure might actually help the size structure but the overall numbers have to be taking a bit hit this winter.

I was out this am and got a few keepers early on towards noon they really slowed down.

• 10 months later...

Were you out there in the evening?? I passed 3 people going in when I headed out at 4:45. We were about 200 yrds off the access. 8 ft crappies are hanging near the bottom. Very very slow bite. As we left at 8 after all rods were packed the flasher lit up like an Xmas tree with fish. Dropped a line with a minnow but no luck. Ice was a tad over 5 inches were we were. Don't go out the south side were the aerator is. Wouldn't trust that ice for a while.

The aerators have not been turned on yet. when we do turn them on, there will be signs at each access and signs around the area where the open water will be. I'll post when they do get turned on.

Jeff

New Prague sportsman's club member

The aerators have not been turned on yet. when we do turn them on, there will be signs at each access and signs around the area where the open water will be. I'll post when they do get turned on.

Jeff

New Prague sportsman's club member

Can't "like" this post lol. Glad to hear an update. Just to update y'all even more on the ice. Went out this am. About 300 yards out from the north access there IS AN OPEN SPOT. A crack separated with open water about a foot wide. Its easy to see daylight but watch where you walk at night. I was about 50 yards from it and there is 5 inches of ice from there all the way to shore with a few open pockets right at the start of the launch. Crappie bite is very on and off. When its on its very short few bites then it is off for a while. The morning bite stopped around 9:30

Are there any fish left in cedar after it got slammed last year by people taking limits of dink sized crappies?

Are there any fish left in cedar after it got slammed last year by people taking limits of dink sized crappies?

Its been that way every year for as long as I can remember. Nothing will change this year. Its a crappie factory.

That was me you passed by probably. I may have even made a comment about needing ice skates out there.

Yes that was most def you lol. My roomate went ahead with the gear and house while me and his gf went to fill the propane that we forgot to fill. I think you had your headlamp on and we got on right as you left. We only picked off 3 crappies and they were hugging bottom hardcore

Ice is getting even thicker! I don't have a ruler on me but I got the spot it hit the sticker on my ice scoop. Will post later but I will not be surprised the least bit if we are driving end of next week. At least a new inch of ice since Tues. These fish are turning on more now that we got a layer of white ice on top. Waxies or minnows works.