• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What happened to the walleye fishing in Shetek?

We used to be able to catch a few walleyes in shetek but now its mainly catfish and a few crappies, any ideas as to how to improve the fishing?

Patience grasshopper! Many said the exact same things about Okabena in Worthington, and the numbers are great now! Lakes run in cycles, it will work out!

Unfortunately for Shetek, muc is spot on. I won't come out and say it's not a good walleye lake, but it's not as good as it was a few years ago. The population of catfish is steadily increasing and that has a lot to do with it.

Things will come around again, but it's going to take a while.

Just got off of the DNR website and checked out the lake finder for Shetek. Kind of tells the whole story as of 8-11-2008. Too many catfish but actually decreased a little. They have stocked the heck out of the lake with a couple of 3.4 million fry stockings of late. Average size of walleyes was 12 inches. Hopefully better fishing in the near future. Perch are pretty much history too.

Is there a chance that the poor fishing is due to an abundance of forage and not a lack of walleyes?

Looking at the DNR date it doesn't seem this is the case, but with Channel cat numbers down it may start to turn around soon.

All I know is the fishing on Shetek tonight wasn't worth anything...caught about 50 million little gnats though

Catfish are killing the walleye population! The MN. DNR could care less about the walleye population in praire lakes of SW Mn , not part of the great tourism scheme. Only so much money with the economy the way it is now. 15 yr's ago you could go to Shetek fish for couple of hr's & get a limit of nice eater fish in the teen's , plus throw back a bunch of shorty's. I also remember many large walleyes caught there , just not by me. There were no catfish caught back then.

JMO Get rid of the catfish.

I'm behind you 100%. Aren't the bullheads bad enough? I remember 5-10 years ago I would look in the paper and people holding up all of these really nice walleyes from Shetek and Sarah but now you don't see that as much

Catfish are the great equalizer when it comes to controlling the bullhead population.

This is just a bump in the road. Shetek will come full circle again, as will Sarah. This will take some time tho. One thing area anglers can do to help is instead of holding up stringers for the camera, take a picture of the release.

Having worked very closely with DNR fisheries management the past few years, I can wholeheartedly disagree with the "The DNR doesn't care about SW MN lakes" type statements. I'll go as far as to say the DNR should be commended for the work they've done. Shetek and Vermillion are 2 totally different bodies of water, and are managed accordingly. To even have a population of walleye in lakes that average less than 10', are full of fertilizer and algee, no weeds, and 3' of silt on the bottom is quite an accomplishment. Toss in the 400 fish houses on Sheteks north side every winter and the fact that you can walk from Sarah's west side county park to the east landing, on boats, during the first couple weeks of the season and never get your feet wet.

There is excellent fishing to be had in SW MN. It's up to the individual angler to go to the lake and find them. So you can't just toss out a minnow under a bobber or troll around all day pulling a crank and catch a limit? Change your tactics. Change which lake you're going to hit.

With any luck the Des Moines river will never flow back into Shetek again for a long time. We all have to be a little patient, Shetek will bounce back.

i agree with BG!! the only thing the dnr doenst fully cover in sw mn, is having GWs where they need to be.. instead of whining about the catfish go try and catch em!! little ones are just as good as walleye..

I think the idea that the lake will return to a decent fishery on its own and that it is a natural cycle is at best a pipe dream. We now have a large and growing population of catfish who seem to be adapting very well to the lake, they will grow very well on a diet of stocked walleye fry, crappies and bullheads and anything else they can eat! The 3# today will soon become large enough to make a 10" walleye a snack and I am sure the cats are reproducing well in the lake as I have caught many different size classes. The crappies that I have caught seem to be a little thin compared to fish from other lakes which leads me to believe the forage base may be a little thin. What we probally need is to find a way to harvest a large number of the catfish and continue to stock walleyes at a high rate and mabye the fishery will return.

The only thing the dnr doenst fully cover in sw mn, is having GWs where they need to be..

The DNR can only do so much with the funds allocated them.

Originally Posted By: broken_line
The only thing the dnr doenst fully cover in sw mn, is having GWs where they need to be..

The DNR can only do so much with the funds allocated them.

That is partly my point, If it came down to putting X number of dollars in SW Mn lake Shetek or North Central Leech Lake. Where do you think the money would go? How many Govenor Openers are held in SW MN v.s. The rest of the state, if you split the state into quarters, the SW would be FAR less then 25%. As far the catfish , as long as there in the lake the walleye population will suffer greatly.JMO

I realize this may be playing devil's advocate a bit but if catfish truly has been the reason for the decline in walleye numbers, what's the explanation for places like the Horseshoe Chain, Tetonka, Fox, Hall, Budd and many others?

I agree with boilerguy. There needs to be more catch and release. I only fish for walleyes a few times a year during the open water season and I release almost all of them. Only keep one or two for a meal. I do catch a few 27" or bigger walleyes while muskie fishing every year and they all get released. Look at what catch and release has done for the muskie fishing in minnesota...I don't think there's a better place in the country to go muskie fishing then right here in our state.

TO the difference probably is the amount of catfish that are in the lake. The DNR themselves hinted in the 2006 assessment of the lake that the overabundance of cats could be hurting the walleye population. Coincedence or not when the cats became thick the walleye fishing went down the tubes.

TO the difference probably is the amount of catfish that are in the lake. The DNR themselves hinted in the 2006 assessment of the lake that the overabundance of cats could be hurting the walleye population. Coincedence or not when the cats became thick the walleye fishing went down the tubes.

I have a hard time getting my arms around the fact that channel catfish, regardless of quantity, have diminished the walleye population in Lake Shetek more than the angler has. I just don't see it.

From an earlier thread on FM...

There was a recent study done by Windom DNR Fisheries on the topic of walleye, bullhead, and catfish abundance. There is an inverse relationship between bullhead and channel catfish numbers, which is believed to be a result of catfish predation. In 1975, there was a research project on food habits of walleye in southern Minnesota lakes that found walleye must be larger than 16 inches to effectively feed on small black bullhead. That’s a lot of time for a fish to learn to eat other forage first or to ever effectively feed on bullhead. The results of that study suggest that there doesn’t seem to be a negative relationship between channel catfish and walleye abundance.

It comes down to the type of predators and feeding style that catfish and walleye are and exhibit, their respective positions in the water column, and their mouth shape. Cats are more efficient predators of bullheads. If you want a strong walleye lake you usually don’t rely on bullheads as forage, so I wouldn’t say that from a walleye fishing perspective that fishing would be better off with a bunch of bullheads instead of in-check numbers of bullheads via catfish. Remember that black bullheads in excess can have similar negative effects on waters like carp: increased turbidity, decreased vegetation, algae blooms, etc.

Lake Tetonka - Waterville, MN is a great lake for both catfish and walleye (although most people don’t target the catfish and they don’t show up the best in nets). You could say the same thing about all of the Cannon River chain lakes in South Central Minnesota. Catfish and walleye co-exist with no problem. Lots of great lakes for walleye and catfish out there. Loon, Bass, Fountain, Albert Lea, Cannon chain lakes, Swan, Allie, Marion, Shetek, Fox, Okabena, etc.

The human element of fisheries plays as much into fisheries management as the fish do. More than a few people have told me that fisheries management is more about people management than fish management.

Why would the DNR suggest in the 2006 assessment that maybe there were too many cats in Shetek? Why is it that when the cats were the highest the walleyes were the lowest per net sampling? It looks suspicious that's for sure. It's possible the cats have pushed the forage off of the points and rocks of Shetek and made it harder to catch the walleyes that used to come to these spots but just roam open water now. Still mid lake trolling should still get you fish. I'm no fisheries biologist but Shetek hasn't put out much for open water fishing for some time now. Neither has Okabena and that lake is full of fish according to the net samples. If those cats get as thick as they are in Shetek in Sarah that should tell the story. Actually I'd rather not know.

In Lake Shetek, channel catfish have been around since 1993. The best year for walleye's was 1998 after cohabiting with channel catfish for 5 years. And there is a huge 3-year old class of 'eyes up and coming in the 11 - 12" range all while being in the presence of channel catfish. These walleyes are sure to provide solid action for years to come if the angler is reponsible. Combine a strong year class with increased stocking efforts, annual lake surveys, improved water quality and responsible anglers and we're in for a treat.

What was the fishing pressure like in the late '90's and early 2000's on Shetek and how much catch and release was practiced?

From Minnesota's DNR webpage...

Fishery status as of 08/11/2008

Covering 3,596 acres, Lake Shetek is the largest lake in the Windom Area. It has a shoreline length of 35.4 miles and a maximum depth of ten feet. The immediate shoreline is covered primarily by woodland areas and the majority of the surrounding watershed is cultivated. Shoalwater areas are dominated by sand and gravel substrate. As with most lakes in the Windom Area, aquatic vegetation is considered sparse. Lake Shetek is managed primarily for walleye while providing secondary populations of yellow perch, black crappie, and northern pike. Northern pike had nearly disappeared from the lake due to drought conditions in the late 1980's, but may be making a comeback after restocking and higher water levels once again gave them access to wetland spawning areas.

Lake Shetek was opened to liberalized fishing eight years during the period of 1930-1971. A Helixor aeration system (the first such system in Minnesota) was installed in 1974 and very little winterkill has occurred since then. The heavily developed lake has long been a center of recreational activity in SW Minnesota and it is a primary vacation and fishing destination for residents and non-residents alike.

Concerns over water quality led to acquisition of a Clean Water Partnership Grant, Phase I of which was completed in 1996. Phase II was the implementation of best management practices (BMPs) within the watershed, with the goal of reducing total phosphorous in the lake by 30% and improving overall water quality. Water quantity concerns during dry years brought about the construction of a diversion ditch and associated dams in the 1930's, to divert water into Lake Shetek from Beaver Creek. One of the recommendations coming out of the Clean Water Partnership was that the diversion no longer be operated, as it was determined that it was a huge contributor of undesirable nutrients to the lake, greatly outweighing any benefits of additional water. The diversion structure was subsequently removed and the ditch plugged in 2000. Shoreline owners are now in the process of updating their sewer systems.

Walleye catch rates in Shetek decreased from a high of 30.6 fish per gill net in 1998 to a low of 2.8 fish per net in 2007. The catch rate in 2008 was up a bit to 6.2 fish per gill net. We would expect to catch anywhere from 3.2 to 15.3 walleye per gill net on lakes similar to Shetek. Lengths of walleye caught in or gill nets ranged from 7.4 to 22.1 inches and averaged 12.1 inches. The small average length is primarily because of the huge year class of age 3 walleye sampled in 2008. All walleye sampled were from years walleye fry were stocked. In an effort to bolster walleye numbers the operational plan was changed from stocking fry every other year to two of three years. The lake is now surveyed annually rather than once every four years.

Yellow perch numbers in Shetek were up slightly from 2006 and 2007 but still low. Lengths of yellow perch caught in gill nets ranged from 5.5 to 8.9 inches with an average length of 7.9 inches.

Black crappie numbers are down a bit from previous years but Shetek still has what we would consider a normal crappie population when compared to other lakes like Shetek. Lengths of black crappie caught in trap nets ranged from 5.1 to 10.5 inches and averaged 8.3 inches.

Channel catfish numbers have been gradually decreasing from a high of 11.8 in 2006 to 7.8 in 2008. Lengths of channel catfish caught in gill nets ranged from 7.1 to 20.1 inches and averaged 15.9 inches. Channel catfish have never been stocked in Shetek. It is likely adult channel catfish migrated into the lake from the Des Moines River in 1993 when high water inundated the dam.

Other species sampled during the assessment included black, yellow and brown bullhead, bigmouth buffalo, white crappie, quillback, and common carp.

To maintain a healthy fishery in Lake Shetek, we need to promote Best Management Practices (BMP's) within the watershed to help reduce nutrients entering the lake. High nutrients and sediments in a lake can cause algae blooms and reduce water clarity.

There is no way there were the number of cats in Shetek eleven years ago like there is now. Not even close. You would have to look at the test nettings back then to be sure though. I'll bet the fishing pressure on Shetek was greater in 1998 than 2008 just due to the fact the fishing was better back then. Hopefully with those big year classes coming up things are going to get better.

What if it is bad water clarity/quality and a overabuance of carp that is causing the bad walleye fishing, and not high catfish populations.

What if it is bad water clarity/quality and a overabuance of carp that is causing the bad walleye fishing, and not high catfish populations.

Very possible scenario.

It's just the same old story, over and over again, in Southern Minnesota. Nutrient overloading is just hastening the day of our lakes death.

Prairie Pothole lakes are a wonderful and beautiful thing on the prairie.

Animal manure, farm chemicals and human p-o-o-p running into the lake are not....

Bad water clarity and lots of carp were there back when the fishing was good. The lake is probably cleaner now with the efforts they are making to control the nutrients through buffer strips, feedlot cleanup, and other measures to control the nutrient load.

123 fish is exactly right. Carp were abundant back when the walleye fishing was good, & the clarity of the water only changed your presentation, baby bullheads could be found all over the lake. Catfish killed the Lake! In the late 80's to Mid 90's nobody even fished Sarah, for the most part, people that had cabins on Sarah came to Shetek too fish walleye's , That I know for a fact. Get rid of the Catfish!

I fish Shetek regularly (only because we have a cabin there) and the fishing has been brutal the last few years, unless you like catfish. I catch 6 cats for every one perch, crappie or walleye. It's been really disappointing. I do think the lake water quality has gotten a little better, but fishing is still tough. So it's gotta be the catfish, right?!

Personally I like to fish lakes with good populations of mid sized channel cats and walleyes. Shallow water and any weeds will hold walleyes and the channels provide a good afternoon break when the sun is high.

Sometimes a change in tactics can change your opinion of a lake.

TKwalleye pretty much nails it my opinion. 6 cats to one of everything else. That really isn't probably too much of an exagerration. The problem isn't that there are cats in the lake it's how many cats are in the lake. That is a very interesting observation that pointerboat made about baby bullheads in the lake. We used to fish West Graham for over twenty years. It has a rock pile in it that is the number one fishing spot on the lake. Big enough to troll which is pretty much what everybody did. There are spots on the spot on that rockpile when trolled over back in the day would turn your flasher red from top to bottom and it would be three to four inch bullheads which you knew they were because you would snag them with your rap every once in awhile. Walleye fishing was very consistent and you almost always could pick up at least one walleye off that rockpile no matter what time of the open water season it was. You occasionally caught a five to 15 lb. cat also but it was rare. Now the lake has as many of those 17" cats as does Shetek. The bullheads that you catch out on that rockplie are now about 9 inches and whole lot less of them. The spots on the spot no longer has those baby bullhead bait balls and the walleyes aren't there any more because of it. It's not because that there are cats there it's just because there are too many. Like Shetek they have accelerated the walleye stocking in West Graham and last year there were a lot of 13" fish that we were catching so hopefully it will get turned around again to be a good walleye lake.