• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

.22 Rifle with Scope???

Just wondering what your guy's thoughts are on a good .22 rifle.

Used for a little of everything. Possibly with a scope. Spend $150 to $250. Prefer to by one that will last.Thanks for the help.

I have a Remington 597 .22LR with a scope. Fun for plinking, but that's all I use it for. Good little rifle.

Overall, the best .22LR you can get, and many will agree is the Ruger 10/22. Tons upon tons of aftermarket goodies to customize as you see fit.

I havent looked at prices of .22 lately but lep is right the ruger would be my recomendation but i think its in the 225 range. I would stay away from the 597's. problems with mis feeds, jams and overall i feel you can buy a better gun with your money. I like the savages and I think you can get one with a scope for 150-175. The scope wont be anything great but you can always replace it later. just my 2 cents

The problems with the misfeeds that slabchaser mentions I was able to avoid by using a better quality ammo. But if I were to choose again, I would go with a bolt action in either a 22 Mag or .17 HMR.

I like the 10/22, but my friend has a henry lever action, nice light little 22, pretty accurate with a scope as well. Right about in the price range you are looking if I remember correctly, but I haven't had time or the money to go shopping lately. Good Luck and make sure you post a picture of what you get

I agree with the Henry and Ruger choices, and Winchester makes a nice bolt gun - The Wildcat

I am going to be in the minority here but I had absolutely no luck with my 10/22. It constantly jammed all different kinds of ammo. However, my uncle had one that never jammed, so, I might have gotten a lemon. I traded it for a Marlin SQ880, very nice gun. In reality, it depends on what you want to do with it and whether or not you want a tackdriver. If you want it for screwing around and just shooting, go with the semi-autos. As for me, I wanted a tack driving bolt action. If I were going to buy one now, it would be the savage Mark II, Outdoor life magazine called it the most accurate gun they ever tested, and it is in your price range. Throw on a Simmons scope and you are set.

96trigger

I saw the article about the Savage 22 and it looks to be one very accurate rifle.

I have a 10/22 that is over 40 years old. Three of my sons also have them. Never had any trouble with any of them. I own nine or ten .22 rifles, but if I need one for knocking around, its the Ruger. Others may be more accurate but none are more dependable.

Have really enjoyed the Ruger. Have not had any jams, etc. Great gun for the money.

I own a Remington 597 and I have to say it is a great gun, but I will admit I would rather get a 10/22 for a little more if I could go back. No regrets though as the 597 is a great rifle, just picky on ammo.

I usta to help work for a old gun smith he would always brag up the marlin 22 semi-autos said he seen some come out of hillbilly pickups from behind the seat. havent been cleaned or oiled in years. He said they always always would work fine and still shoot pretty accuarate. Plus I think there more in your price range. I would however not cheap out on the scope I personally would spend about 200 bucks and get a nikon

I would not recommend spending a lot on a scope for a .22 LR. I spent $80 on a nice Bushnell 3-9x40mm scope for my $180 Remington 597 that came with a cheap BSA .22 Special 4x32 scope. Should have either left that one on there or upgraded to a cheaper 3-9x32mm scope instead because the .22 LR is very short range weapon and they are not the most accurate things in the world either.

You speak for yourself there. I pride myself on my accuracy when it comes to my .22lr laugh Now as for a scope couldn't agree more with ya.

Just had to give ya sh*t Jeff

Haha yeah I mean it's fun trying to hit a target at 200 yards but it's incredible how much the windage and elevation play into the shot.

We ever gunna go fishing man? I am down to go out anytime whether from shore or boat.

Um ya I think we are going out on monday night down in the chaska area. It will be shore, but it should be a great time. Shoot me an email

Yeah I will see my work schedule next for next week on Friday so I'll let you know then.

The ruger 10/22 is a great 22. They are accurate and very dependable.

What are you going to be using it for? If you will be small game hunting a scope is a must.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 10/22. Very dependable gun, started misbehaving on me but I think that's due to not enough cleaning. BTW, if you do buy one, make sure not to take it apart if you don't know what you're doing! wink

I also own a Remington 597 and it has been good to me, shot many a squirrel and rabbit with it, the only time I have jamming issues is with the first gen magazine which are notorious for jamming, I have cycled many many different types of ammunition through it in my day and it will shoot em all, some are just more prone to flyers and possible jamming than others. Jeff is right when he says to not go overboard on the optics package, as the .22lr has a maximum effective range of about 100 meters, but shots out to 300 meters can be possible. Shots past 100 meters are usually a crapshoot, as when the round drops from supersonic to subsonic speeds, the resounding shock wave overpasses the bullet and can throw it off quite a bit. I would recommend something a little smaller optics-wise, I use a Bushnell Sportview in 3-7x20mm. No reason to go huge on it, as you will not be engaging targets out to great distances. The marlin 795 is a nice enough weapon, designed to compete with the Remington 597, and the 10/22 is also a great choice ... autoloading .22 are fun to shoot but if you plan to ever shoot larger bore longer range weapons, try to find a nice bolt-action .22 you can use as a trainer so your brain builds a memory for working the bolt.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite inexpensive .22 is the Remington Model 5 (a/k/a Zastava 99 or Charles Daly Superior II). Cabelas had them as low as $189 this spring IIRC. Has similar weight and stock feel to a light centerfire. In fact I cut the stock and the barrel in order to duplicate the dimensions of my wife's Model 7.

Have mounted a 3.5-10x36 Bushnell Banner with AO (about 80 bucks from Gander clearance bin) on weaver style rings and B Square adapter bases that really lock down on the grooved receiver.

The rifle loves el cheapo Fed Valu Pack ammo. Will put 10 in a big ragged hole at 50 yds. My only beef is it fed roughly out of the box and I needed to bend, file and polish the magazine to make it feel right.

If was looking to put together a utility .22 that would serve for big game muscle memory practice, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• 4 months later...

Everyone looks at Ruger, Remington and Savage for a 22 rifle. I have owned all 3. The Rem 597 was junk, the 20/22 was terrible until I converted to a heavy barrel with an aftermarket heavy barrel and stock I customized my 10/22 and then is was good, but the gun was pretty heavy so I decided to try a CZ 452 american. That is far and away the finest 22 rifle I've ever owned. Super accurate, feeds perfectly and has the quality and feel of a full size high end centerfire rifle. Check them out. They are a bit on the pricey side though.

For anybody that has a Ruger 10/22 semi-auto you should check out the rimfirecentral website. Anything you'd ever want to know about accurizing and customizing your 10/22! They even have a post on how to put it back together when the spring goes flying. Looks like blued/wood versions are $200 and stainless/plastic are $250. Tons of accessories and options available for that model. Start with 25 or 30 round magazines and a speed loader lots of fun for the kids.

Ferny.