• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckycrank

• Matt C

• hawkeye43

• smeese

This post is probably a waste of time but why not?

Each species has it's own stocking budget in the DNR. Some time ago I posted all the different species that got stocked in the state. I'll try to find that information again.

The Cliff's Notes version is that muskie stocking was only 2% of the stocking budget while the number of muskie fishermen in the state grew to 14%.

As far as walleye fry/fingerling stocking being cheaper, you're correct on one point but WAAAAAAYYYYYY off on the net cost of the stocking. I think that it was 1/10,000 walleye fry that made it to maturity (if that) and 1/100 walleye fingerlings that make it. Not only that, but they're usually harvested the first time their caught. I'll find that info and post it again.

Thanks Willy. I might need you to save me a parking spot at the launch though. It's a bit of a drive from NE metro. wink

Seriously though, I used to drive by that lake sometimes on the way to school at MSU. Looked cool, glad to hear you guys are catching nice fish there.

Now that the anti Muskie guys have thrown their stones so hard that they are hitting other species such as Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Walleyes, Catfish, Northern Pike, Ringneck Pheasants, Turkeys and Salmon by saying its time to stop stocking fish that are non native; such as the walleyes in Tetonka, we can see the true colors. Maybe you fish haters are right we could save a buck up front, but in the end we have nothing but loss to our enjoyment of the outdoors and economics, I don't agree with it at all, if you get your wish of stopping all stocking of fish and transplantation of land animals I would say 99% of what I hunt and fish would be gone.

How long is it before you guys say "No More Walleyes" "No More Trout" your already saying they cost to much to keep stocking them in their non native range.

How much would MN save if they didn't stock Walleye, Trout, Salmon, Catfish and Muskies into non traditional water? I know and I don't want to know, I do know it generates jobs and local income. I think you guys are opening up a can of worms that's way to big for its own good.

The fact is Muskies, Trout and Walleyes bring a ton of money into this state and into regions that need the economic stimulation, if your worried about connected waters you better shut down the Mississippi River system because guess what that's were all our stocked Muskies come from and its connected to about everything.

Are you also against stocking sand pits and old quarry's? that have had mother nature stocking sunnys turtles frogs and minnows or is this all just against Muskies.

Are you against digging pits that create areas that may one day be stocked

I have no time for your fish and fisherman hating Peta like hypocritical mindsets.

It's not like the pressure is going to ruin the fishing down there on the lake. Muskie fisherman will be fishing muskies not your bass, crappies, walleyes, etc. So I wouldn't think fishing should change much. Most lakes that have muskies if you look at them have outstanding bass and walleye fishing as well.

Also most guys in the metro I don't think will drive the hour or more down there when we have Tonka, White bear, etc. Right in our own back yards. I can see some pressure increase at the end of the season if your talking about finding open water, but no one else is fishing any way then. I'm sure Waterville wouldn't mind the increase in Muskie fisherman coming to town and spending a little cash either.

K2, Madison is a possibility in the next round. The shad in there would make excellent forage for muskies.

Coming from a walleye guy-

I am all for filling Tetonka up. I live next door to French lake, although I couldn't get my boat in there this summer...due to low water, In previous years, the busy time at the ramp; 4th of july, memorial day, labor day, walleye opener....they where not musky fisherman. Non holiday weekends...plenty of ramp space.

I really enjoy my walleye fishing around the musky guys. I think they scare the walleyes to me, smile and nothing beats reeling in your little walleye jig and watching a 40" plus fish following it. What a thrill!

I fish Tetonka quite a bit in the summer. Traffic? There is none. 8/10 times I am 1 of 6 trucks/trailers at the DNR landing. This is weekend and week days.

Heck, I may bust out some big baits next year!

Frenches "full" landing hasn't been all that full for the last 3 yrs, and after all the harvest that took place over the last 7 yrs fishing hasn't been the same since. I fish Tetonka for bass walleyes and pike and have never seen an overcrowding problem in my life unless you count the pontoons & jetskies. The most pressure the lake sees from anglers is bass guys, but even that isn't that much. You can expect to get half the guys French sees and could cut that by another quarter to a third by adding another lake in the area.

I wouldn't call 574 fish every other year a ton of fish either. I think it's a shame some are spreading so much misinformation around that area If any of you guy's that are against muskie stocking should go to lake finder and look up French and Fox than see what you think. I kind of like the idea of muskies eating drum and crappies taking their place Tetonka is a class 24 lake go to the study provided earlyer in this post and you will have a very good idea of exactly what will take place.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=66003800

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=46010900

Many anglers still believe that northern lakes - cool, deep, clear, clean - are the ones packed with fish. But actually, it's southwestern lakes that contain and produce the most fish per acre. A northern Minnesota lake simply can't produce as much fish as a similar sized southwestern lake, any more than an acre of land in St. Louis County can grow as much corn as an acre in Le Sueur County. A northern Minnesota lake such as Vermillion in St. Louis County produces about 8 pounds of game fish per acre, while a southern Minnesota lake such as Tetonka in Le Sueur County produces about 40 pounds of game fish per acre. I got this info from this, so I think the forage will be there, let's stop growing rough fish and start getting game fish.http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries/management/myths.html

No big preditors and this is what happens: Status of the Fishery (as of 07/17/2006)

Shields Lake continues to supports a diverse fish community with 14 species being sampled in test netting. The previous survey of 2001 indicated a fishery dominated by yellow perch, bluegill, and black crappie. Since that time, the fish community appears to have shifted, with black bullhead and freshwater drum being the most abundant species. Black bullhead appear to have increased in recent years, although the population continues to support large individuals, providing excellent angling opportunity for this species. The yellow perch catch has historically varied among sampling events and has decreased since 2001. Size distribution of perch was good with fish over 8 inches being common. Catch rates of both bluegill and black crappie decreased dramatically from 2001 and the size distributions were primarily composed of small individuals. Age estimation indicated that fish older than age-5 were rare in both bluegill and black crappie populations. Several younger year-classes are present, suggesting that quality panfishing may return to Shields Lake in the near future. Other gamefish remained at average abundance. Despite frequent stocking, walleye remained at low levels. Most fish were age-1 and were < 10 inches in length. Northern pike continue to maintain a small but viable population in Shields Lake. Size was typically small with a mean length of 20.8 inches. Pike older than age-5 were rare, suggesting high angler exploitation of older individuals. Largemouth bass were sampled in low numbers, although an electrofishing survey in 2005 indicated a fair number of largemouth bass, providing a sought after angling opportunity for this species. ?

It seems like you guys are looking for more. If you would take care of what you got, and improve what you got through your Musky Inc dollars, you would be better off. You have no chance at winning this tetonka thing. Focus your dollars and time into what you have. Nobody in this area supports Muskies and you will find that out when 400 people show up at the proposed meetings that "might" happen. The town people don't want it, the business people don't want it and the only bait shop in town thinks its stupid. The only hotel/motel in town owner is gonna be one of the most against it. Take what you have and improve it. This thing is gonna have to be held at the hs gym if it gets that far. Waterville lakes assoc and Mn Darkhouse Assoc southern chapter will not let this happen. We are waiting.

Now that the anti Muskie guys have thrown their stones so hard that they are hitting other species such as Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Walleyes, Catfish, Northern Pike, Ringneck Pheasants, Turkeys and Salmon by saying its time to stop stocking fish that are non native; such as the walleyes in Tetonka, we can see the true colors. Maybe you fish haters are right we could save a buck up front, but in the end we have nothing but loss to our enjoyment of the outdoors and economics, I don't agree with it at all, if you get your wish of stopping all stocking of fish and transplantation of land animals I would say 99% of what I hunt and fish would be gone.

Muskiefool, walleyes are too native to Tetonka. It is part of the Cannon river chain. There can and has been decent natural production in Tetonka. Shoot, there is a good size year class of eyes we are getting right now that have been naturally produced.

Noone ever said quick stocking lakes. We just don't want Muskies stocked in Tetonka.

In the end it will come down to what the public wants. I am guessing most in our area are against it. The people will speak.

mjgrose,

They hate money in that area? As a resort operator I would love to have muskies in the lake I am on. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is all I have to say about that. Since I fish muskies I feel 100% comfortable saying that as well. Will you explain to me why the bait shop doesn't want it????? The only hotel/motel doesn't want it????????? I didn't get to fish during the summer due to my career, but I can tell you the Alexandria area definitely benefited from having muskies during the months of Oct and November. My wife saved my receipts (I know scary) and I spent almost $750 dollars on JUST gas (99% bought in Alex), food (McD in the morning and Taco John's at night) and suckers at Christopherson's. That helps the local economy if you ask me. I'm not claiming to be a walking talking stimulus plan, but I know I wasn't the only one doing it. I know a lot of guys that make an effort to support the local economy while fishing in the area. They stay at local places, eat at the local diner and spend money at the local gas station even when they could travel a ways to save money. I don't understand the perception that muskies will eat all the fish (the studies are out there that says they actually help the game fish in most situations) and muskie fisherman are going to take over the lake. Just doesn't make sense to me.......

If you would take care of what you got, and improve what you got through your Musky Inc dollars, you would be better off.

mjgrose, this comment alone shows that you aren't up to speed on the musky scene. Efforts are continually being made to take care of and improve what we already have in the state. And what we have is one of the best musky fisheries anywhere. But just taking care of the existing lakes won't allow this to last forever. When you have people from all over the country flocking to MN to fish for muskies and when muskies are one of the only species that is seeing more and more people fish for them each year, more needs to be done. Without doing more, a decline in the quality of the state's musky fisheries is a sure thing. Why would you support the idea of not creating more fisheries, when such a thing will only cost the state money in the long run?

Ask the businesses in the Tower and Cook area of MN how they feel about the musky fishery that has been created on Lake Vermilion. There's great fishing for all species in that lake. But I have no doubt that they are very thankful to have muskies up there with all the extra income it brings them.

We have literally hundreds of lakes in the state that could support excellent musky fisheries, lakes which currently do not have musky populations. It's a shame that we don't take better advantage of these waters. But with the misinformed opposition, doing the smart thing for the state doesn't always happen. Adding muskies to a lake like Tetonka will only enhance the fishery. When people fight against having muskies stocked, it's almost always based on a lot of misinformation that is spread about by those with other agendas. There's a lot of good information out there. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of garbage one has to sift through.

Explain this one....

"The only hotel/motel in town owner is gonna be one of the most against it."

Where's the logic there? The last I checked hotels/motels only made money by people coming to their area. The owner doesn't want business?

Aaron

If you would take care of what you got, and improve what you got through your Musky Inc dollars, you would be better off.

What? The Minnesota muskie fishery is phenomenal. What we have is not in need of improvement. The problem is the rapidly increasing pressure on what we have, which cannot be fixed w/o more lakes. I would be curious to see the number of people who would be at this meeting against muskie stocking, but who have at one point or another spent time w/ a guide on one of there vacations up north chasing a muskie. I would also say that any business owner who would be against stocking a local lake is either a poor business owner or misinformed. I don't even want to know how much more money I would have if I wouldn't have gotten into muskie fishing. I wouldn't still be renting that's for sure.

The bait shop is clearly not against it as he postpics and brings attention to them all the time. Speak for yourself not for everyone in the town. Although you may fish the lake, it is not yours believe it or not, although I would rather see Madison, I will push for Tetonka just in spite of haters like you. I assure you more Musky people could show up if we really wanted to get this rolling, so if you want to get together all your buddies we can certainly gather ours. For you to argue your point is fine, but to be rude and tell us to stay away from a public lake is just going to feed us to try harder.

I talk to the bait shop and hotel guy daily, lets just say its part of my job. The bait shop isnt gonna carry rods/;reels etc to fish muskys becuz he knows at his price nobody will buy them. The hotel/;motel is full all summer, where is part of the pie? Both dont want them here. Sorry

It's the fall business that is going to help the hotel/motel anyway

You know how some guys won't buy a shad rap at a bait shop because they can get it for $0.07 cheaper at Wal-Mart? Let's just say that isn't the case with most of the muskie guys. If they need it and he has it....SOLD.

I think for them to oppose this would be a very bad decision, but what do I know...I only run a similar business and fish muskies......

People that live on the lake I can see wanting to base an opinion, People that live near a lake, less likely to matter to the lake association for sure. You do not live on the lake so be glad it is public and you can fish it regardless of whats in it. I suppose you think you own the baseball diamonds over there too huh? They are after all in your area smile Heck I live by that lake too I guess

why in earth would a hotel or a baitshop be against bringing in more customers? what an erroneous misguided statement. Even if the baitshop doesn't stock rods and reels, so what? He'll still sell suckers, terminal tackle, lures, etc. Not to mention a ton more people will come in for information and buy stuff too.

Nobody in this area supports Muskies and you will find that out when 400 people show up at the proposed meetings that "might" happen. The town people don't want it, the business people don't want it and the only bait shop in town thinks its stupid. The only hotel/motel in town owner is gonna be one of the most against it. Take what you have and improve it. This thing is gonna have to be held at the hs gym if it gets that far. Waterville lakes assoc and Mn Darkhouse Assoc southern chapter will not let this happen. We are waiting.

Are you kidding me? You MUST be speaking for yourself...because uh, well I AM from this area, and I support it.

If you want to argue, I would think you should check on your facts before posting again.

Thanks!

mjrose-

If you can find me 1 business, chamber of commerce, tourism dept, bait shop, hotel, restaurant, etc that wouldn't want an extra customer or 2.....c'mon man get real.

Im with you Smeese! I pounded some 10 inch perch and large crappies out there last year. Right in front of the beach. Its a great early bite. Everybody get out there!

Originally Posted By: mjgrose
Nobody in this area supports Muskies and you will find that out when 400 people show up at the proposed meetings that "might" happen. The town people don't want it, the business people don't want it and the only bait shop in town thinks its stupid. The only hotel/motel in town owner is gonna be one of the most against it. Take what you have and improve it. This thing is gonna have to be held at the hs gym if it gets that far. Waterville lakes assoc and Mn Darkhouse Assoc southern chapter will not let this happen. We are waiting.

Are you kidding me? You MUST be speaking for yourself...because uh, well I AM from this area, and I support it.

If you want to argue, I would think you should check on your facts before posting again.

Thanks!

I still support Muskie socking in lake Tetonka and I am from the area and fish this lake. I don't get it it is Just a fish there are multi species in this lake and also muskie are in there already. Stock them maybe some of your rough fish will go down in population even them sheephead!!!!!!!!!!

Stock them maybe some of your rough fish will go down in population even them sheephead!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of lakes I'm aware of in the state that have muskies and high sheephead populations grow some of the heaviest muskies in the area. Muskies will love feasting on the suckers and sheephead out there!

Aaron