• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

why do people think thhey own the lake!?!?

baitshopboy

ugh sunday night was out and the wind had picked up so we pulled up the bowmount and started making passes. well the wnd was moving us around a bit and i ended up in the same line as another boat. except here is the thing, i was at least 300 ft from him but then he caming by and gave us a wave wash, no big deal, but then the guys conituted to bleep, up ahead of us cuz i apparently took there line.. what a joke. and its just a line. geezzzz

That's pretty standard for Mille Lacs and I've seen a lot worse. I expect it to happen when I am there so I don't let it get to me any more.

I guess the way I look at it is that the lake is 100K acres, there is no reason people should be close enough to cross other fishing lines. Just my opinion.

Last year, after one of our party got a little loose lipped bragging about our rightous bucket of keepers. We went out the next day and there was a launch parked right on the area we (and many others) had been drifting the day before. As we attempted to approximate the previous days activities, we were greeted by a bunch of static from the peanut gallery on the launch. They weren't catching anything anyway but still....pretty much fouled the area.

We never let that guy live that down.

Moe, there is a difference in being too close that you are crossing lines and being 100 yards away drifting the same area. There have been many times where I have fished an area the day before and went back to find someone else in the same spot. This person thinks that because they were there first that day, that this is their spot! I use the utmost etiquette and stay as far away as possible and if there is still a problem, I try as hard as I can to ignore it. If the problem still arises, just get the boat registration numbers and call the DNR. There are laws set in place that protect the fisherman as well as the hunter against "harrassment" on the lake or in the woods.

I see no problem in drifting the same lines. Some get to worked up for it. Fishing should be relaxing.

You think that is bad? I think it is 10 times worse in the winter.

I had a guy 2 years ago threaten to kill me because I was drilling to many holes! I WAS A 100 YARDS FROM HIM!

Once he saw me grab the big dipper ice scoop he shut his mouth.

A lot of meth heads out there.

elusivecrappiecatcher, I actually heard about that on this forum it think. It is too bad that people are crabby out on the lake. Put it this way if you have to YELL to the next boat to get someones attention then your far enough away from them. If you can just talk normal then your probably to close.

Also I see NO problem at all drifting or anchoring in the same place. But if you get to your spot and someone else is in it, then fish elsewhere and go back to your so called "spot" when they are done with it.

I think if you fish high traffic areas you tend to get used to it. Most high concentrated areas have a bunch a good boat captains that respect everybody one the water. there is always the sour apple that thinks its his "spot" or area. Pool 4 in March and April, Mille lacs on opener, side of a stream on the north shore... they all can be fun, but respect is the key

If you're too close and got their lines, then maybe you were too close. Fishing is all about being out there in the nature and relaxing, not having conflicts with one another. Boaters should also respect the shorefishers, that's why we have boats,to stay away from the crowds right? This reminds me of yesterday, fishing at Prescott. Some drunk or crazy teenagers were going too close to the shorelines and snagging the shorefishers line and of all the sudden rocks were flying to his boat. Felt sorry for the fellow, especially his Mercury boat.

Funny story, used to live out in Virginia and was a bit of a "Pier Jockey" fishing off the piers for Blues and what not..never wanted to get close with a boat though..saw some pretty heavy prymid weights casted and thrown at boats getting too close and hit boats, sail boats sails, etc..golden rule "Treat others as you would like to be treated"

when i say lines, im talking gps lines. there was a certain set of contours we were following and to be wave washed wash kinda crappy. yeah the boat can handle it just fine. but seriously?!?!? thats alright, just frustrating. i think the best part is when they turned to throw out the drift sock, i stuck a 20 incher right in front of them

you guys think its bad now? Wait till the tourny's get rolling... You might want to bring extra rubber for bumper boats.

It's kind of nice to hear that even the locals or in state people share some of the same experiences we have. If you guys want to see really bad imagine the possibilities in a boat with IOWA tags. Just putting the words "bullhead fishermen" between all of the cuss words can only scratch the surface. Really though we don't really care much anymore, I think we've pretty much heard it all. We just everyone goodluck and keep right on fishing.

That's pretty funny Spit but probably true. At least you have the right attitude towards the verbal abuse you get.

Why can't we all get along?? WHEN I had a boat I experienced some of the same. Even had a guy cast his musky lure into my boat. Seemed like I was in his way though I had been on the spot for along time before he showed up and there was plenty of room for another boat. I just cut his line and told him to get more practice at casting.

Now when I have been shore fishing I find the situations haven't changed. Do people really need to catch fish that bad they turn into jerk-baits?

I fish to relax and have fun, but sometimes I wonder what others are really thinking.

I have also experienced "friendly WI fisherman". Me and my buddy were setup on a hump bobber fishing away from everyone. We both had our boats and I had put out a marker on the top. Way off in the distance we see 3 boats following each other going past us then all of a sudden they make a 90 degree turn right at us. Next thing they are fishing all around us which is no big deal really but it is a large lake and lots of places to fish. Then all of a sudden one has the nerve to come right between me and my buddy and ran over my marker and got it tangled in their motor. No apology or offer to replace. Just a shrug of the shoulders and drove off. We were anchored in so no way to get everything in to chase them. I sure hope they had a problem. Not the first time I have experienced this type of personalities. I know that I try to avoid others and hope that others will do the same. If we are haeding to spot and see that someone else is fishing it we just look for a different spot. This is usually a good thing so we can explore more places.

I would rather use a red/white bobber for a marker. I have a spare reel with 35ft of musky line a loop tied every 6ft. The yellow or Orange markers tell everyone your on fish. Then you have guys almost sitting in your boat.

At first when you said you ran over there lines I thought that was too close. But now when you say that you ran through there gps lines that is no biggy they should chill out.

I know, same thing happened to me and my fellow fisherpeople over here in Wisconsin! some "nice guy fishermen from Minnesota" pulled up next to us and hit on our girl friends, wow the nerve of some people! smile

I gotta say, I'm new to the site and fished this opener, (Stupid decision since it was so flippin cold during the day), but anyways it ended up being worth it. But have to say there are always so many many boats out there that you really can't help but to end up close, or they end up close to you when drifting, but isn't that where the boat control comes into play. I struggle with the thought of anyone getting angry or blaming each other, nobody owns the lake, I really don't think anyone intentionally crosses lines, I think everyone is just looking to have some fun and catch some fish. I like to talk with the boats that are within range, doesn't mean that we're to close, just means that's where the drift brought us closer. Maybe I'm fortunate that I haven't run across any aholes, or maybe because I'm a chatty lady, but glad to say that everyone I have had drift by or troll by, have always been friendly and having a good time. Personally, I think the folks that get angry or throw fits because lines maybe crossed or because they think your too close, ain't caught nothin.

Going up on tomorrow for the day, hopefully it will be as good if not better than opener was for fishing, at least the weather sounds better.

Are you sure they weren't Iowans? Guys from MN aren't typically hard-up enough to hit on ladies from Wisconsin! eek

Ouch, slamin Iowa and Wisconsin with one fell swoop!!! tj you must keep in mind the ony thing Iowans have on their minds in minnesota are the bullheads and whether we are going to fish crawlers.........or crawlers.

hahaha i love the crawlers! this winter i had a guy flip a $%^ on me (first real ice season)i had a guy that i didnt know at all move my house and set his there.. there was 400 acres to fish why did he have to take the 20 feet i had?

Some fisherman if thats what you would like to call them, nedd to come as close as possible to another to try and see what they are catching and maybe get a few themselves.

Why people cannot stay away from another anglers area that he is fishing is totally beyond me.

Lets give the other boat some room and not see how close we can get and then see if they get upset.

There are better ways to spend a day on the lake than to go through that.

I don't have a problem with poeple who get close when fishing.It the boat that drive pass you half open about 20 yards from you and wave .

Broken line you may have topped them all. Moved your house to put his there and didn't even know you? Do that to the wrong guy and he might find what's left of his house being used for a weenie roast some evening.

i had no clue who he was but he knew me.. they guy said ohh i thought you werent going to be fishing that spot soon, i fish everyday after school the only reason i didnt go that day was cuz the snowmobile ski was broke.on the ride out there i lookd at where my house was and didnt see it so i looked around the corner and his was right there and one of the holes was from my 7" auger. i was hotter than 2 squirrels #$%$^^ in a wool sock!!! he was lucky he has wheel well covers or his house woulda been where the truck got stuck and he could get it unstuck!