• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zebra Mussels

waterwolff

Wow anyone else find many Zebra's this past weekend. We were up on the N.E. side this past weekend out from Fisher's down to Wilderness and boated at least 10 of the little pest's all riding on the backs of native mussels, one rock, and a stick. Last year in the same area we never saw one. Prolific little b'turds. All the more reason to be dillagent in trailering

thats something we never wanna see on a boat, just another reason to make sure everyone checks their boat before they leave

Yep, I found one on the back of a native muscle I caught in the NE area.

In addition to that my buddy caught a crayfish and snail.

1 rock that was twice as big because it was covered! and a mussel 1/2 it had about10 on it too.

I caught 2 of them on my crabkbait! While ticking bottom, I got 2 of them on seperate occasions.....not good!

i caught a crawfish this weekend i thought that was pretty cool... no zebras though

Well, hopefully I can get a year or two more of fishing before this lake is blasted with invasive this and that.

Might make the fishing tougher, with the zebe's you can expect the water to get even clearer now. I've never been one to think that zebra mussels will affect fish populations as much as they'll affect people (boats, water hoses, docks, etc).

water hoses and your outboard for sure. you gotta make sure to flush your outboard out after getting off the lake now...

This might be kind of a dumb question but what do they look like in a real picture and what should you do with them???

They are about dime size and smaller with black stripes. We threw ours in the boat trash bag. Also there is a picture of them at all the boat accesses look for the yellow DNR lake information signs.

I'm chiming in a little late but we also had them on a clam we pulled up on the ne side on sunday, make sure everyone you know fishing ML, knows, and flush, flush , flush.

What do you mean flush your outborad?

Getting the water out of the cooling system in the motor.

On most older outboards, simply lowering the tilt/trim to running position while on the trailer will drain it. Running it dry is not recommended. It will trash your water pump in short order. I dont know about the newer 4-strokes