• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scary Story

DTro

I would like to see alcohol banned on public waters. They ban it in city and state parks, why not on lakes? The people that complain about that aren't true outdoorsman anyway, if you want to drink stay home!

JB,

This is a classic case of a few who are harming the majority. I feel it's a tragic case of individual irrisponsibility but the thing we must be careful of is letting an isolated incident ruin it for the majority. And the statement that your not a true outdoorsmen if you enjoy a drink or two is uncalled for.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandmannd

• LakeDocktor

• rumeye

• BuckKiller

JB - what a joke - Just because I might like to have a drink while fishing does not mean I'm not a "true outdoorsman". It's called public for a reason.

So then you guys think it's ok to have a few beers while your driving a car then? That's illegal...why should it be any different if your in a boat? Sure, lot's of people can stop at 1 or 2 beers (only takes 2 beers to be legally drunk by the way), but alot of people can't stop, and they'll have 3, 4, or a 12 pack. Making it illegal isn't going to prevent all accidents on the water, but if it prevents 1 than it's a success. Are you guys going to stop fishing if your not allowed to have a beer on the water? I highly doubt it. So I apologize if you guys have a problem with me wanting to make the waters safer for all people.

I would like to see alcohol banned on public waters. They ban it in city and state parks, why not on lakes? The people that complain about that aren't true outdoorsman anyway, if you want to drink stay home!

Little short sided don't ya think? Because something poses a potential risk we should make it illegal? Many city parks allow alcohol as well as all Three Rivers Parks. Also, what is a 'true outdoorsman' anyway?

I understand your passion around this subject, and you may have been negatively impacted by an alcohol related situation in the past, which may shape your opinion on the subject - and rightfully so. Let me just suggest refraining from making any assertion that goes 'if you do/do not do something than you are/aren't a ________' Most of the time you'll be wrong. Now where did I set me beer?

Well JB you might be a master angler, but a doctor you're not......2 beers and you are legally drunk? where do you come up with this stuff? You can't make blanket statements like this and expect them to be true can you? Oh wait you already did this once..."anyone who drinks isn't a true sportsmen anyway!" While i agree in making the waters safer, having more laws, rules, and regulations is not the answer....why does everybody believe we need more government in our lives? What we as a community need to do is start being more responsible for our actions and decisions. Finally, if laws were followed to the 'T' as JB believes then we wouldn't need police officers would we!!

idiots will be idiots with or without alcohol......I don't drink when I am fishing cause I fish to hard to stop and drink anything but I don't care if people go out and have a few drinks while on the water as long as they are responsible....

I almost got hit on the water this year and I gurantee that the driver of the other boat was not intoxicated. He was not paying attention talking and had a person blocking his view. He came with in 15ft of us before he heard us and luckily turned at the last second.

If you want to make the waters safer for all then I would suggest people should be required to take a test like a drivers test and should have to be licensed to operate a boat. You would still have drunk boaters though.....somethings are always going to be there even if you ban alcohol in a boat people will still drink and drive boats just like they do cars!!!

jb maybe everyone needs to park there boats and start using canoes and kayaks so no one can run into each other but then again the might swamp so maybe everyone should shore fish instead

I don't know dbright, I have seen some fast canoes out there as well. Plus rowing interfers with my cigar smoking.

I do agree with ozzie about the boating test, I think that would go a long ways towards providing safety.

Regarding my statement about 2 drinks makes you drunk...I was only partly right, If your 150 lbs or under you'll be legally drunk, will take 3 to 4 if your 220ish and under. These are just general averages of course, alcohol affects each person differently. But I got the stats from gdcada.org. That website will have you all the facts, stats, and info about alcohol you'll ever need to know.

Was I going overboard about the outdoorsman/beer statement? Sure. Ozzie, I also agree with you about fishing too hard to drink, as I often forget to crack open a bottle of water or gatorade even on the hottest days.

JB,

I believe you have good intentions but once again be cautious of who it will harm the most. If your statement would hold true then why not ban guns as well. It's more or less the same thing. The irrisponsibility of a few should not punish the whole.

Well said wall. Lets not forget that the DWI laws for cars are the same for boats. The only difference is that you can have a open container in a boat, but you can not drive (legally) any motorized vechile with a B.A.C. at or above .08.

I guess there was at least three different boat accidents on milacs over the weekend. A friend of mine was involved in one. his step brother was driving a warrior full speed when the hit another boat. He got launched out of the boat almost getting run over by it. After that he nearly drowned trying to swim to it. The worst injuries from this was a couple bruises. the boat was pretty banged up tho, couple holes in the front end (one above water and one below so it was taking on water).

They wern't being "idiots" as some of you claim. It was just an accident, they didn't see the boat til after they hit it. I guess the 8 foot waves blocked there vision of it or something... didn't quite understand that part. They check, thought it was clear and took off.

Oh and they WERE NOT DRINKING

Very scary

I was at Mille Lacs the first 3 days of the season on the windy side and I didn't see any huge waves. Some solid 2 footers, but nothing that would affect someones vision. People were driving way too fast close to boats, that's what was the problem. If people would just take their time, pay attention, and have some patience, there wouldn't be accidents like this. Last summer I was almost hit head on at night when I had my boat lights on while casting. Brand new boat, so lights as bright as can be. I seen him coming at me at trolling speed so I figured he saw me and was maybe coming to talk. When he got 15 feet away I could see he was eating a sandwich and trolling with 2 lines by himself and staring at his locator. I honked the horn and he jumped out of his seat, scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of him.

First of all I do have a beer or two when fishing. Second I can see no excuse for hitting another boat period. Third there is no such thing as a 8 foot wave on mille lacs and on the weekend there was nothing more than 2 footers at most. If the waves were too big too see slow the heck down. How can you say they were not being idiots, they hit another boat and got ejected? Just because they were not drinking does not mean they were not being idoits.

I will add that on Sunday night when I quit fishing around 10:30 at night. There were big boats with big motors driving as fast as can be and there were boats every where. It only takes one boat to not have lights on and you are done. Driving at the speed I saw some of those boats go at night I would imagine its a little harder to see boats even if they have their lights on.

I think in the end, it all boils down to common sense. There are a lot of people out there that can afford a nice big boat, but have no reason to be behind the wheel. IMO, there should be a boater safety course that is mandatory. As BuckKiller posted earlier, alcohol wasn't involved, but neither was common sense. You can't just take a look and then open up full throttle and expect everyone to get out of your way. Whether you are in a car, or in a boat, you need to pay attention to your surrounding as they can change at any given moment. It has been proven that alcohol has a negative affect on a person's alertness and reaction time. Do I think they need to ban alcohol on public waters, no. There are always going to be people out there that abuse the privelages and give others who choose to enjoy things in moderation a bad name. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated yet look at the number of alcohol related crashes each year. Eliminated alcohol on the water will not change a thing. Why take something away from people who follow the laws and use common sense?

Do I think they need to ban alcohol on public waters, no. There are always going to be people out there that abuse the privelages and give others who choose to enjoy things in moderation a bad name. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated yet look at the number of alcohol related crashes each year. Eliminated alcohol on the water will not change a thing. Why take something away from people who follow the laws and use common sense?

I couldn't have said it better myself. That describes it perfectly.

I'm sort of with JB. Why can you not drink while driving a car, wheeler, heck even a riding lawn mower but you can while in a boat? That just never made a lot of sense to me I guess.

Sandmannd, it is legal to have an open container on a lawn mower and ATV, however it is illegal to be over .08 blood alcohol content. There are a lot of laws that don't make sense. For instance, the seat belt law. It is illegal to be in a motor vehicle on public roadways without using proper seat belt restraints, yet it is legal to operate a motorcycle on a public roadway without a helmet. I feel the more people complain about what should be illegal because similar instances already fall into the "against the law criteria", legislatures are going to see this as a cry for help and make it impossible to society to breathe without paying fine. I'm not condoning anything illegal by these statements, nor am I choosing sides. I am merely making the point as to where do we as citizens draw line as to our limitations for "the power of the people"?

I'm the last person to want anymore laws or gov't in our lives. I just don't believe alchohol belongs anywhere near anything that is motorized. Just too much can go wrong when you are impared.

In the case of this accident, what would have happened if there was a child in the boat?

I'm the last person to want anymore laws or gov't in our lives. I just don't believe alchohol belongs anywhere near anything that is motorized. Just too much can go wrong when you are impared.

In the case of this accident, what would have happened if there was a child in the boat?

I don't disagree with you at all for there being a time and place to consume. I wasn't targeting you either in that you were suggesting more laws or government. I was merely stating my opinion.

Something like this happens every year on opener or other busy weekends. In this case no nobody was killed. How many people died in car accidents on the way to the lake on opener?

A few I'm sure, and they probably were not drinking either. It is still by far safer to be on the lake with people who are drinking then in a car. Yeah this happened and this is sad. However, it really isn't that big of deal if you just think about it. Nobody died and the driver hopefully learned a lesson. No need to change any laws because somebody screwed up.

Buck killer. 1st of all your friend is my half brother not step....secondly he was saying that friday night we were out in big waves on the south end on the lake. but on sunday the waves were only 1 ft tall. That is it.

The ACCIDENT was something that only he and I would understand. I WAS paying attention. To this date I still do not understand how I did not see the boat. For everyone to take and keep beating the dead horse is pointless. The thing that WE ALL should look at and promote is wearing life vests at all times. Even when the boat is not in motion. Luckily I was able to get to my brother in time. And the oter guys we able to get to there boat. I WILL WEAR a life vest at all times now. It only sucks that it took this to open my eyes. I have visions of what i saw still. I do not wish it upon anybody else. And yes there was NO alchol involved in our accident.

I guess there was at least three different boat accidents on milacs over the weekend. A friend of mine was involved in one. his step brother was driving a warrior full speed when the hit another boat. He got launched out of the boat almost getting run over by it. After that he nearly drowned trying to swim to it. The worst injuries from this was a couple bruises. the boat was pretty banged up tho, couple holes in the front end (one above water and one below so it was taking on water).

They wern't being "idiots" as some of you claim. It was just an accident, they didn't see the boat til after they hit it. I guess the 8 foot waves blocked there vision of it or something... didn't quite understand that part. They check, thought it was clear and took off.

Oh and they WERE NOT DRINKING

Very scary

I was in that boat that your buddy hit! There was hardly any wind at all! The sun was out and shinning bright! We were out about 1/4 to 1/2 mile, so they didnt just take off! They were at full speed, his buddy was sitting in the seat in front of him, and was turned around talking to him so neither of them were paying attention! I jumped out right before your buddy hit us, and my dad was thrown from the collision, and ended up with a broken leg!

Ya i know! Im not blaming anyone cause i know accidents happen, i just wanted to clear up, there was not 8 ft waves, not even close to it!

Duckslayer. My brother turned around because his face was cold. We were not talking. I asked office kline if he heard from you guys. He has not called me back since i talked to him. Sorry to hear that his leg is broke. Was it more to do with his knee?

Buck killer. 1st of all your friend is my half brother not step....secondly he was saying that friday night we were out in big waves on the south end on the lake. but on sunday the waves were only 1 ft tall. That is it.

The ACCIDENT was something that only he and I would understand. I WAS paying attention. To this date I still do not understand how I did not see the boat. For everyone to take and keep beating the dead horse is pointless. The thing that WE ALL should look at and promote is wearing life vests at all times. Even when the boat is not in motion. Luckily I was able to get to my brother in time. And the oter guys we able to get to there boat. I WILL WEAR a life vest at all times now. It only sucks that it took this to open my eyes. I have visions of what i saw still. I do not wish it upon anybody else. And yes there was NO alchol involved in our accident.

My mistake, I must have misunderstood what justin was telling me. Just glad you and him are alright.