• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

live4chrome

hey all, I will be staying at a friends cabin on wabana in simmons bay on the east side this weekend. She has only fished the lake in summer, and I have never fished the lake before. I have the option of bringing the sled, but it would mean extra gas for the vehicle to pull it. I was wondering if there is good fishing in the bay that we could use skis to get out there, or is the fishing better in other parts of the lake. Don't really care what we catch, preferably pike or panfish as I will be with a bunch of girls who have never really fished before and I only have one flasher.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

my email is chad0050atd.umn.edu if you prefer not to put it online,

thanks.

Pinusbanksiana

Skiing or snowmobiling will do you no good up here right now. You will spend all your time digging out or scraping the frozen slush off. Slush on area lakes is really bad right now and the cold is not helping yet.

bmc

This last dump of snow we got really screwed up the lakes for fishing. More than likely you'll be fighting 0 to 6 inches or more of slush beneath 8+ inches of snow.

Sorry to rain on your fishing plans, but it is what it is. I think I'd bring the sled and enjoy the numerous snowmobile trails we have in the county.

Brian

The Hammer

Was out on Wabana Saturday and Sunday. Well Saturday was a bust! We spent the better part of the day trying to deal with the slush/12" of water above the ice. We ended up finding some decent ice and were able to get fishing.

The bite was slow! Sunday morning we didn't get out early enough due to the cold weather. We were fishing in Wakeman Bay, north side of the bay.

Deet

Hammer - What was the thinnest/thickest ice you found?

Doug Kelder

Fished Wabana for a week in September. Walleye were slow, pike was pretty fair, blue gill were nice with some decent size.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick
On 10/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, Doug Kelder said:

Fished Wabana for a week in September. Walleye were slow, pike was pretty fair, blue gill were nice with some decent size.

Thank you for the report.

JBMasterAngler

Trout/Wabana were really nice lakes, the one and only time I got to fish them 2 years ago. Would love to make it back up there some day. Too many places, too little time!

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
      This one is 2.2. The other 5.75
    • leech~~
      Thought you were going to do a before old battery and after New battery weight for us? 😕
    • eyeguy 54
      Nice!
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Here in central MN we are looking quite well! With last nights -1 low we had some medium and bigger size bodies of water skim over. Only the bigger lakes are still open but most have locked up. Unfortunately with the forecast we will not be making much ice in the upcoming weeks. But that will not be an issue as bays of main/ bigger lakes and small lakes are in good shape. Went for A a drive on Sunday and found lakes to have 2-3” with most locked up, yesterday went for another drive and lakes I found to have 2-3 the day before now had 3-3.5”. Another I checked had 5” in close and 4” to just under 4” further out. With last nights cold and calm winds us avid early ice anglers should be good to go( with proper saftey precautions of course) for any time now. My plan is to head out in search of panfish next weekend and I can say for sure it will be a great trip to be able to get back to headwater adventures. My guess of being out on safe ice 4“+ set back about 3-5 weeks ago was SPOT on. I’m sure there will be a VERY long line of anglers heading out on URL next weekend, that will not be me I’ll stick with the less populated lakes and avoid the crowds as much as possible. Good luck to those who head out! Stay safe and report ice conditions and fishing reports! 2019-2020 ice season is here! 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I better upgrade to a Heavy-Duty tin foil hat, to keep Space-X from stealing all of my thoughts about the best fishing holes.  
    • Chill62
      Buddy made it out on Friday on a small lake and had 3.5 inches of ice.  Hearing reports from others that a lot of lakes were 2-2.5 inches and they backed off the lake after finding that.  Also heard reports that some of the bigger lakes the wind yesterday ate up a ton of ice but this morning the lakes really refroze quickly and further out.  I personally tagged out Sunday for deer so I'm switching gears this weekend and going to try to get some fish on top of the ice.  I'd assume a lot of lakes will be walkable by the weekend but avoid current and deeper holes unless you are checking ice thickness.  I'm hoping to get out Saturday and Sunday if I can find a fishing partner, buddy is looking at 3-5 lakes tomorrow and Thursday.  Looks like tonight I have the project of respooling line and getting ready for the weekend.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I'd be worried about pulling my rig up the icy landing.
    • delcecchi
      Chucker, what is the latency for the LEO satellite service expected to be?    I know that was an issue for the Hughs service.   
    • Sculpin
      Most of the lakes south and east of Aitken are locked up. Dam, Clear, Hanging Kettle, Rabbit, Sisabagamah, and I would imagine many others.  Please be careful, use your ice pics, a good spud, and proceed cautiously. I saw on last nights news some poor guy took a quick swim in Skogman lake near Cambridge. Not good, could have had a very sad outcome. 
    • chucker1101
      Talked about this before...low-earth satellite internet is pretty close to being ready. SpaceX just launched 60 more satellites yesterday, giving them about 120 in orbit now. They need 400 in place to start servicing the Northern United States and should be there by June next year. Low-earth satellite will be a game changer. High speeds, high capacity. So don't lock into service plan long-term. Still questions about pricing (haven't released any detail), but right now i'd expect early adopter rollout next summer, and widespread availability in Northern MN by summer 2021.