• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to Wabana in about a week. Haven't been up there yet this year. Anybody got a SMB/LMB report? I DON'T need spots. Shallow or deep would be nice. Heck, I don't even need to know what you're using. Just want to know if anyone has been up there for bass and if they did any good. Thanks.

My wife and I spent an afternoon/evening out there over Memorial Day weekend. Panfish and bass fishing was slow and we didn't see hardly anything up shallow. Water temps were in the mid-60 degree range. I'm thinking the bass will be pre-spawn or might be spawning by the time you get here. Walleye fishing was OK and I've heard of some big fish being caught up there too.

Brian

They hadn't spawned in Wabana yet? I fished a small bass lake by my folk's place on memorial and the females were all out, lots and lots of small males on the beds but that was it.

Fished Wab all of Memorial weekend and caught all the bass we cared to catch.... most were small males with a couple decent females (spawned out)... The bluegills were all over... they were on the beds and they were easy pickens... the walleye bite was decent and so was the size.... good luck and enjoy....

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on Wabana? We will be there 3rd thru the 12th. I have never fished there, any suggestions on what type of lures to use for bass, walleyes? I suppose more natural colors since the lake is so clear?

Thanks for info.

throw a jig in the weeds for the bass and the walleyes have been out in the deeperr water jig, leech or crawler with a lindy or even a spinner have been getting the walleye

Jason

Spinnerbaits with gold blades, lipless cranks, and top waters always work, especially up in the north end. Swimbaits over the rock piles. If the smallies are there, you will know. Walleyes, bah, trashfish grin The only time I've ever caught them was on deeper rock pile edges when it was cloudy and windy.

• 5 months later...

I haven't heard any reports yet from Wabana. I know there is a spring out off of the SE access, so that area can be trouble at first ice. Deer Lake north of here just froze over w/in the last week or so and I think Wabana usually freezes about the same time. It might not be ready quite yet.

Brian

Do people ever drive full size trucks across Wabana? Seems to me it should freeze thick enough by mid-January because it is much like Pokegama.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of full trucks on Wabana ... but most often they stay fairly close to shore. I normally go on at the north public access, heard too many bad stories about the other access.

I'm sure with this cold weather we will be on the lake soon ...

Any recent reports here? This would be a great week to give it a try ...

If you've been out that way, let me know if there are 4-wheelers or sleds going out on Wabana. Thanks!

I went by the north landing earlier in the week and atv's and snowmobiles have been going out. Also seen a few houses out both spearing and angling.

Was on the lake 12/22 ... about 8 inches of clear ice out in the middle with about 8 inches of snow on top. had some water come up through the 10 holes I drilled, but not too bad. A few vehicles were parked on the ice near the landing.

I discovered yesterday that trucks have not been driving to the East landing. By the time I discovered that there were only snowmobile and 4-wheeler tracks on the road, I was already heading down the hill toward the access. Without 4WD and good, new tires, I wouldn't have gotten out of there. No plow has been to the access all year, but plenty of snow machine and ATV traffic. Guys must drive their trucks to the Wakeman access. I would like to get out once you can drive, which I imagine won't be until late January or into February. My small lake near by still only has about 10" ice.

hey all, I will be staying at a friends cabin on wabana in simmons bay on the east side this weekend. She has only fished the lake in summer, and I have never fished the lake before. I have the option of bringing the sled, but it would mean extra gas for the vehicle to pull it. I was wondering if there is good fishing in the bay that we could use skis to get out there, or is the fishing better in other parts of the lake. Don't really care what we catch, preferably pike or panfish as I will be with a bunch of girls who have never really fished before and I only have one flasher.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

my email is chad0050atd.umn.edu if you prefer not to put it online,

thanks.

Skiing or snowmobiling will do you no good up here right now. You will spend all your time digging out or scraping the frozen slush off. Slush on area lakes is really bad right now and the cold is not helping yet.

This last dump of snow we got really screwed up the lakes for fishing. More than likely you'll be fighting 0 to 6 inches or more of slush beneath 8+ inches of snow.

Sorry to rain on your fishing plans, but it is what it is. I think I'd bring the sled and enjoy the numerous snowmobile trails we have in the county.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Was out on Wabana Saturday and Sunday. Well Saturday was a bust! We spent the better part of the day trying to deal with the slush/12" of water above the ice. We ended up finding some decent ice and were able to get fishing.

The bite was slow! Sunday morning we didn't get out early enough due to the cold weather. We were fishing in Wakeman Bay, north side of the bay.

• 8 years later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On 10/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, Doug Kelder said:

Fished Wabana for a week in September. Walleye were slow, pike was pretty fair, blue gill were nice with some decent size.

Thank you for the report.

Trout/Wabana were really nice lakes, the one and only time I got to fish them 2 years ago. Would love to make it back up there some day. Too many places, too little time!

• Thumbs Up 1