• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gull Lake Fishing Reports

I fished the river with a couple of friends on Friday. We worked some select spots from Brainerd all the way up to the Pine River. I was surprised to see how high, fast, and muddy the main channel is yet. It was an "off" day. The pike and bass were not very active. We didn't try for walleye.

Fishing it in a canoe would be really challenging, unless you were able to put in near some of the back bays up north of Brainerd. Putting in at the cemetery below potlatch. would be do-able with the canoe as there's more opportunity for shore fishing... about the best way to slow down your drift as it's going to be fast. I haven't tried below the dam yet. Some of the reports I've heard have been just "ok".

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Traxxx

• gregg52

• Sportland_Bait

• kingfish689

I was at the weigh in for the MN Teen Challenge event (great event by the way) this past weekend at Ernie's. I was surprised to see the number of smallmouth weighed in during the event. I fished Gull for 30 years and have never caught a smallmouth and was surprised to see they are even in Gull. Where do you catch smallmouth in that lake? I would like to try for them once I become bored with walleyes in the middle of the day.

The majority of the smallmouth come from Round. At tournaments some are released in Gull that were caught in Round. Gull is not what you would call a very good smallmouth lake. Round is pretty good as is Lake Hubert.

I fish Gull alot and just do not catch smallies in the lake.

Yeah I think this is the case for a lot of lakes around the area. I've boated some smallmouth on a handful of lakes in the area that supposedly don't have them in there. I guess people are doing a little stocking of their own.

I have been looking for results of the teen challenge with no luck. Where can I find them?

Pegleg, you can try for smallies on the south end of gull. You won't catch any, but you'll catch so many largemouths I doubt you'll care too much. Also, there is some trophy calibur rock bass to be had crazy

Thanks for all the feedback guys - might have to give Round a try one of these days for smallmouth.

JB - I caught my share of rockies that I thought when I was pulling them in would be keeper walleyes.

Backlash - I don't know if they ever posted results for the MN Teen Challenge Tourney. They did raise about $87,000 for the organization that weekend so it was a great event for their 1st year of the tourney. Very touching to listen to them all speak and sing that day at the event.

AS said before, the smallies came out of Round. Which can be accessed via the Channel so I guess it was within limits for the tourney.

Yep, We fished the tourny and didnt find out until Friday night at the rules meeting that we could go anywhere we could get by boat. Any of the chain there. It was soo windy up there on Saturday i think alot of people fished some of the smaller lakes.

I personally witnessed a friend of mine catch about five smallish smallmouths on a jig and pig on Gull. They weren't rock bass... I know the difference. I am not sure how to PM here, but if you PM me I'll tell you where he got them.

I am heading up to a baseball tournament and we are staying at Cragun's Resort which is on Gull Lake. Figured playing baseball, why not go fish too! Anyways I have never fished Gull in 15 years of fishing and was looking for a few starting points of where the fish might be located. Not looking for your hot spots or anything just a general area of where i may be able to find some eater walleye and crappie. Depth, type of bait, color of jigs spinners or cranks, type of bottom content, etc... Anything that could help a first timer out. Thanks for all your help and every tip, big or small, is greatly appreciated!

Chris

As of the last few days, it seems the fish (walleye) have moved deeper....like 24-32 feet. Although some spots still have plenty of fish shallow, it seems they moved deeper with the cold front on Sat. Also they have been showing up in the summer spots. Check the points around Cragun's, and if a school doesn't bite, I would move on..not worth the time. Good luck!

I'm certainly no expert at catching crappie, but I've caught a few in Wilson bay. As for walleye, use a lindy rig with a spot tail or red tail. I'd say start shallow and then try deep. I found them in ten feet last weekend around squaw point which isn't too far. Weed related I guess. As for pulling cranks, I've had success in the past with black and silver. I do that at sunset, shallow.

Any times better than the others? Morning or dusk? Noon? Also have any of you guys had luck on float fishing for them? Thanks for the tips!

Chris

I have only fished Gull 1 time and want to try again,looking for pannies in the morning and Walleye's later in the day,I will be launching off Hwy 371 (north end?)Can anyone lead me to a few area's to try, will be at Sportland for some bait also, what time do they open?

Yesterday the fishing was best towards the evening. fished 230-630 and caught them pretty good, in deeper water. Redtails/shinners on a livebait rig.

If you read through most of the posts in the fishing reports thread there is a lot of great information there. (ie Sounds like shallow weed flats and weed lines, with a lot of fish being caught further down the breaks too.)

Most guys (myself included) never want to give up their spots, but if you get a good (ie Lakemaster) map of the lake most of the spots become pretty apparent. Most structure in the lake is holding some fish, but they seem to be scattered about now. My opinion on gull is that it isn't so much "the spot" but it requires a much more precise presentation. There are fish all over, but you really need to hone in the presentation. Boat control and speed are key too.

Lastly, I would concentrate on the eyes in the morning and again in the evening (plus you can fish the bigger structure a little easier without the boat traffic), and work for pannies during the day. That way your fishing for the right fish during their preferred feeding time.

I agree, go for wally's in morning and evenings, pannies during day. Shiner's for wally's,crappie,bass,northern's. The map will tell you were to fish because there is alot of structure to fish. Fishing for wally's you will pick up all species on Gull.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated, i will have to study my lakemaster chip.

I have caught most of my fish just after dawn or just before dusk. With the best of those two times being dusk. On the south of the lake, on a few occations, I got 'em for just a half hour until the sun went down, but in numbers. The one main exception being a day out by the rock pile I got 'em on a hot day, under a high sun in 10 ft of glassy water. It was crazy, but I was with someone more competant and there was some sort of algea bloom. All that said, I'd defer to Skies.

edit: I'd stick to rigs and maybe cranks.

Gonna be heading up to gull this summer for a trip and was hoping to target some skies, having never fished on gull for anything where should i start, just general help north south east west???? Anything would help thanks

Forget about Muskies on Gull. It is not a Muskie lake. You may wish to try Lake Alexander south of Pillager MN. It's not far from Brainerd/Gull and is an excellent Muskie Lake.

I would target Sham, it gets less pressure than alex and the fish can be very impressive.

mr

really, i guess i always thought gull had a good population of muskie, guess i have been getting the wrong info

really, i guess i always thought gull had a good population of muskie, guess i have been getting the wrong info

You probably heard that the DNR was thinking of stocking muskies in the lake and then backed down once it became apparent that many people were concerned about potential impacts to other gamefish.

Search the threads (about a year back or so), you will learn more than you ever wanted to wading through the heated discussion.

I would say there isnt really a fishable number in there. But that doesnt mean its not worth a try!! Good Luck!!