• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gull Lake Fishing Reports

Just got off of the lake after an awesome day of fishing! couldn't keep the walleyes off the line today, as I was looking for perch! but still very fun, ended up keeping 10 very nice sized perch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Traxxx

• gregg52

• Sportland_Bait

• kingfish689

How are the perch biting on Gull? I was up about a month ago and I found them in about 28' of water on top of a deep hump. Wondering if they are still deep. I'm taking my son with this time and he has a short attention span when it comes to fishing, so I'm hoping I can find them again. Any advice on depth or type of structure would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nels

nels sounds like my son years ago. He never did make out to well during the Snipe hunts either...... grin

• 1 month later...

I was on Margaret and Upper Gull yesterday with the boat. Nice day a little windy. Water is cold yet. Highest temp was 43, most was still 41. Didnt wet a line but I could see fish stacked up on the breaks just off of the shallow water.

Looks like Gull is basically out according to the webcams, I'm sure there is some floating ice left that can't be seen.

Sounds like all the ice is gone on Gull!! The dock and boat go in this weekend. Of coarse there will also be some crappie hunting.

• 2 months later...

How has the fishing on Gull been lately? I haven't been up since mid-May but we will be spending a extra long weekend on the lake this coming weekend.

Are the fish cooperating?

The walleye fishing this weekend was solid with plenty of 17" fish in the well. Let go quite a few 13s also.

Where we caught them - we broke all the rules (time of day, etc), especially with the boat traffic, then again maybe all that boat traffic created an artificial walleye chop. wink

Bass fishing was slower than past 4ths. I would speculate the Gull bass spawned later than most years. We did catch some nice ones, but they seemed really thin for their length. Some years we would catch 30 in a couple hours ... not so this past few days.

Lots of young fish and bait fish in the shallows right now.

always seems this forum has 15 - 22 viewers at any given time, but no one ever posts much

would like to get up there again at least once this summer. Had a nice 20 incher early June.

Finally started to see that Gull is really a night bite lake after several early AM trips up there last summer compared to a couple PM trips up there this year. Really wish I had more time to get to know Gull.

Thanks guys.

I know, this forum has been pretty sparse lately.

Where are the posts?

Walleyes have been in their typicl July pattern. A little tough going but there have been a few caught. Some anglers have found them along the weedlines 13-18 feet of water in the evenings. Lindy rigs and redtail chubs or leeches have been best. Still catching a nice quality fish out there. The pike bite is great everywhere. Minnows or artificials are working well. Bass are hanging out on the weed flats in 5-10 feet. Pretty easy targets lately with a jig/worm. Crappies are still a little quiet but the sunfish are keeping folks happy. Great weather means lots of boats. Have fun and be safe.

Jason Erlandson

I was able to get out between the traffic and the storms for a weekend of pretty good fishing. My most successful trips were long line trolling the weedlines. Pretty constant action for bass, pike, and walleyes.

Walleyes were mostly caught in the morning, but we had a couple throughout the day. All fish were C&R.

• 4 months later...

What a day to be on the water! One last trip out before putting the old girl to bed for the winter and it was worth the drive. Water temp was hovering at 40 deg. in the main basin and the last hour of daylight turned out to be hot,hot,hot! When in doubt, make the trip. It's always the trips I wish I had made that I end up regretting....Bring on the ice now. I'm ready!!

Elk River, guessing you were out there with Ripper. Wish I would have been in town. Would have loved to be out there with you guys.

You are spot on! Was looking forward to meeting you as well. I have a couple of first ice spots that I'd like to try out. Keep Brad posted on ice conditions and we are there! I'm sure we will get a chance to wet a line sometime soon. Looking forward to it...

• 4 weeks later...

West central side of Gull has been producing 12" - 18" walleye on shiners at about 18' - 22' near or in weeds. Ice seams to be around 9" with some open water near the ice heaves off of Rocky Point.

Anyone think the Ice will be thick enough to drive wheelhouses out for the Extravaganza weekend. Or does anyone have a recent ice report

No trucks yet, but wheel houses with wheelers are everywhere. 10-11 inches of ice. Stay away from rock pile and ice heaves, not good ice and open water.

• 1 month later...

Fished 11'-17' tonight up in the weeds. Found a couple good walleyes, some pike and a bunch of perch. They were smacking Northland Live-Forage jigs or spoons tipped with a minnowhead.

The north end is good ,18"-20" of ice, not sure about the south end. Don't go south of the Hat. Sounds like there is 6"-8" on the black hole.

I plan on heading out of Govt Pt for a last try for walleye on Sat. Anyone have any pointers. Got a wheeler and porty. Any tips, what bait, jigs general locations?

Thanks

Pick-Axe

GET OF THE WEED EDGE DEEPER IN DAY 5-7 FT IN EVENING. BEEN WORKING GREAT FOR US.

CAREFULL OF THE THIN ICE IN AREAS. SHOULD BE FINE WITH WHEELER. GOOD LUCK.I'LL BE ON THE NORTH SIDE OUT OF KOOBS ACESS, CHASING THE EYES AND PIKE.