• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favre

Scott K

About the time we get a good QB, some of our better players will be gone. Then we can rebuild again. Seems like we are always a few players short all the time.

Pay the money and lets get winning.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• BrianLucky13

• LMITOUT

• Steve Foss

Now he sent x-rays to the vikes for evaluation? If there is not major damage he is a viking? I don't know what to believe eek

The health of quarterback Brett Favre's throwing arm appears to be a pivotal factor in whether he comes out of retirement to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

A source close to the situation told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday that X-rays of Favre's right shoulder -- he has pain resulting from a torn biceps tendon -- have been sent to the Vikings and that the X-rays are in the process of being evaluated. If it is determined by Favre's and the Vikings' medical people that he needs anything less than "major" surgery on his shoulder, Favre will un-retire to play for the Vikings, the source said.

If "major" surgery is necessary, Favre will remain retired, the source said.

Bus Cook, Favre's agent, told ESPN's Rachel Nichols on Friday that he did not know of any X-rays being sent to Minnesota.

To play a 19th NFL season, Cook said, "Brett would have to be mentally ready to go play, physically ready to go play and want to go play, and I'm not sure all three of those things are there right now."

Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Green Bay Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a destination when they negotiated the trade that sent Favre to the Jets last August.

Although Favre said he would not play in 2009, the Jets released him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round in April. Favre could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

The two have been a hot topic in the last two weeks. There were reports earlier this week that Vikings coach Brad Childress planned to meet with Favre at the player's Mississippi home to try to talk him into coming to the team. Cook told ESPN and another reporter on Thursday that Favre "is retired'" and he doesn't know of any phone conversation or meeting with Childress.

Cook said Thursday that he spoke to Favre, who never mentioned any telephone conversation with Childress. Cook also added that he knew of no plans for Favre to address the Vikings situation publicly, as suggested in a Yahoo! Sports report.

Vikings officials have declined comment to The Associated Press.

According to Schaap's source, Favre is motivated to continue his career, in part due to his disdain for Packers' management, and that he is eager to play again in the NFC North, where he would have the chance to exact a measure of revenge against the franchise he spent 16 seasons with.

Cook, however, continued to leave a door open to Favre playing for the Vikings, saying that if or when Favre is ready or interested in joining the franchise, Cook would expect "to have a conversation about how badly they [Minnesota] wanted him and what kind of contract and terms we were talking about."

"So far, that hasn't happened yet," Cook told Nichols.

All the telltales are there if you know how to read between the lines of a sports news story. Favre, his agent, other sources and the media have danced this dance quite a few times. As always, Favre leads and the rest of the dancers follow. They all know their respective steps by heart.

He wants to play, he wants to win another Super Bowl and, probably most of all, he wants to show up the Packers management.

Only question in my mind is whether Favre would consider arthroscopic surgery "major" surgery.

All these short "breaking news" snippets that have been coming out the last few days have been long on speculation and short on meat, just the kind of thing that leaves meat-eaters like sportsfans with a big appetite for more. Now we have a little more, just like he planned.

Boy, next season might get interesting! gringrin

There is still hope if no major surgery is needed he may be back, if major surgery is needed he's done. EVERYONE PLEASE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED and keep chanting Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre.......

No you mean "Goodby Favre" "Goodby Favre" "Goodby Favre" "Goodby Favre" sorry snadc, can not agree, think good by is better in the long run for the vikings

There is still hope if no major surgery is needed he may be back, if major surgery is needed he's done. EVERYONE PLEASE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED and keep chanting Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre.......

I am with you!!!

I am not even going to begin to get my hopes up yet. Once I see Brett Favre signs one year deal with vikings, and its legit, then i'll be a little excited.

Brett could help the Vikes for a year. Even with 3/4 of a arm and with the rest of the team, the offense could be deadly.

NO, Brett is not our future but he sure could help for a season until we can find that future QB.

Having his arm scoped is NOT considered major surgery and recovery time is generally short because of the minimal invasiveness of the procedure. Knees have been scoped on Monday and players have been known to play on Sunday. I hope his arm doesn't require the "major" surgery and that a scope will infact correct the problems he had at the end of last year. Favre, last year for the first 10 or 11 games was on top of his game. THAT Favre would look really good in Purple this Fall.

to make a long story short the vikes offense would be real mean with the addition of favre.

Does anyone else think the media is being totally irresponsible with its reporting on this Favre story. Sports reporting in general has gotten bad. They gather rumors and hearsay and put them in headlines. They are just as bad as the weahter man with their accuracy. I said it at work yesterday when they announced Favre was staying retired that we hadn't heard the last of this. I still thought he would sign with the Vikings. They all thought I was crazy but looks like I might be right. I know its entertaining to keep up with the latest on a story like this (I've been checking ESPN several times a day) but the media needs to do a better job getting the facts.

I agree toughguy. I think the media has no idea of what is going on. They hear something and BAM its fact. Then it turns out to be a bunch of [PoorWordUsage]. I think the reality is, Favre is having the vikes doctors look at him, and if it is determined that he does not need major surgery he will be a Minnesota Viking.

The report that came out yesterday that he was planning on staying retired came from a yahoo at Yahoo. It's amazing everyone jumped on this story and ran with it...not even checking sources etc.... I really find it a joke that the media feels they now can get away with this [PoorWordUsage]. No integrity left in some of the folks covering stories like this.

Why is Bus Cooks opinion even being asked for in any scenario? Brett and the Vikes are apparently not involving him with any of the discussions, and anytime something comes up, they ask Cook and his answer is always the same- he doesn't know anything.

HAHAHA!!! Yeah Bus does not seem to know a single thing. Every time I have heard, all he says is, "As far as I know Brett is staying retired." Maybe he really knows the truth behind it all!!!???

I'll take Favre. He was the 11th ranked QB in the NFL last year and was 1st before the injury. He can still play better than alot of QB's in the NFL.

And think of it this way. If Favre comes in and we win than everything is great. If Favre comes in and somehow everything implodes and the vikings win 9 games with supposedly everything in place for a superbowl run than we can say goodbye to Chilly. Either way is a win to me.

Does anyone else think the media is being totally irresponsible with its reporting on this Favre story.

Yes. It's the way things are done now. It's sports entertainment drama more than news.

Even Gov. Pawlenty is on the bandwagon, saying if we get him, he will take the vikes to the superbowl! whistlesmirk

The bottom line is this: If Favre had no intention of coming back he could walk down his driveway and tell the 20 reporters waiting there that he isn't coming back and then they would all go away. He hasn't done that. Why???? Because he wants to play again if everything works out right.

the media blows everything out of proportion and make things up to get attention drawn to them.

Brett Favre underwent an MRI on Saturday, which revealed no need for “major surgery.”

At most, Favre would need arthroscopic surgery to repair what has been diagnosed as a torn biceps tendon, with some calcification.

whistle

Just to clarify, as the article was poorly written, Favre had a MRI last December which showed that it wasn't a "major" injury. The writer of this article I found is drawing the conclusion that the same diagnosis would hold true today.

This just shows how desperate the media is to create a story out of nothing.

And how is that the media's fault?

That's not the media's fault. My point is he wants to come back.

Mark my words, Favre will be a Viking this season!!!!!

It's all over now but the purple tears. gringrin

and there will be IF it happens cry

But it wont happen!!!

no need for major surgey, which means he will hold out till after mini camps are over, being he dont want to go, and then sign with the vicks!

MARSHALL, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings president Mark Wilf says the team is still interested in Brett Favre.

Wilf says the Vikings are assessing "a variety of factors" about the supposedly retired quarterback as they do with all free agents.

But Wilf says he's "not aware of any meeting" in the past between team officials and Favre.

The Vikings executive spoke to reporters Monday morning during a community visit to the southwest Minnesota town of Marshall.

--Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4158367