• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

bmc

Lee,

I tried to send you an email, but it didn't go through. I got a couple 'ski related ?'s for ya'.

Could you drop me an email at bmc2680 at yahoo dot com?

Thanks,

Brian

MuskyRookie

I am heading up to North Star Lake over Labor Day and am wondering if anyone has advice or tips on locations and lure selection. This is my first out of metro area musky trip and I have heard good things about our destination.

MuskyRookie

Lee,

Any updated report for muskys on North Lake? We are heading up over Labor day and would really appreciate any help.

rwebby03 at msn dot com

fishermusk

I like to use blue colored lures on that lake. The weeds in front of the public access is a fair spot to cast for muskie. The breaklines are probably better though. There a couple of bays with good weed lines. There is a spot where the lake narrows down before going into the north end of the lake is one of the best spots that I have fished there. I have only been up threr during the early part of the year, but this time of the year I would fish shallow by the reeds with a topwater.

Good Luck

Lee Lane

I havent been out there recently because guide trips have brought me obligations on other lakes...however id bet with the warm temps this weekend and a full moon that wont be due to rise until dark that if your on any of the main lake weed bars around 7:30 till say 9pm you should catch something.

FishNightmare

I was just wanting to get some basic info on this lake that the dnr site couldn't really tell me. What kind of structure is in this lake? Is a a pretty good crappie lake? With the smallmouth bass is it catch an release or what regulations on it? And maybe anything else i would need to know bout the lake. THANKS.

MikeEiden

For crappies in years past has been best in evenings and/or after dark. Lake has good crappies, bass, pike, muskie, and some good sized 'eyes. There is a slot for pike on this lake so read the reg's. I believe its 24-36" have to be put back.

Good luck if you get out there. I always make a trip or two up that way myself.

FishNightmare

Thanks, I wasnt actually going to be in the area until end of july and august anyways, so I wont have to worry about the closed seasons. I just wanted to make sure it was a decent lake. It may be a little differnt just fishing near shore, compared to what im used to. Most of the time I get my crappies out on the main bodies of water near some cabbage weeds or drops. Is there any maps anyone knows of that would show what structure is where in the lake?

ScottyE83

I wouldn't count on any smallies out of North Star. My family has had a cabin on that lake for close to 20 years and we've caught maybe a dozen. It's a decent lake for largemouth, also has lots of small pike and medium sized muskie.

minnphatts

I am taking the family up to North Star Lake Resort all next week. I was wondering if anyone had any recent reports or general tips for the lake? I prefer to fish for smallmouth, walleyes and largemouth, but I do chase muskies a bit and I will have small children fishing at times as well. I've got a lake master chip, which should help some. Any help would be appreciated as this is my first time on the lake. Thanks!

Jim Almquist

I have never had a chance to fish the lake but from what I have heard you will have some decent weed growth that will hold both walleye and bass. The lakes I was on the past couple of days were just finishing up the mayfly hatch. We found most of our walleyes in the 18' to 24' range and with the clarity of Northstar that would be right in the neighborhood. I hope that some one will give a you a recent update and be sure to let us know how you did.

jtroop

Pretty lake. I've only fished it for muskies so my experience is limited. Unlike Moose or Deer it's relatively safe from your lower unit's perspective. Most of the lake is ringed with reeds with a narrow band of mixed weeds along the drop-off. You have the possibility of seeing fish anywhere along that drop-off. There are several bars/mid-lake humps throughout the lake - most (maybe all ?) of which are ringed with weeds and sometimes hold fish. The cabbage is much more prominent this year as compared to last. I sometimes see boats trolling open water but I've had no success (yet!) with that. If you're a caster you can usually set your boat in about 20-22 feet and cast up on top of the humps. I've caught fish on bucktails, twitched minnow baits, gliders, and topwaters (Weagle Baby !). Sometimes natural colors, sometimes gaudy colors. I hate to admit it but, yes, pink works. Good luck !

CRBass

Smallmouth are relatively uncommon. Doubt if you would get more than 1, if that in a week. But, you can try the humps. Some will also be in the weeds with largemouths. If you really want smallmouths, you might try Turtle. Jim covered the walleyes. Largemouths are pretty decent in numbers. I fish the shallows and weed lines. Muskies are usually in the cabbage of which there is a lot. North Star is pretty clear, so you see quite a few, but catching can be tougher. Eric at the resort knows the lake well.

Deet

This won't help much, but for what it's worth:

I've never fished walleyes out there, but when you go, don't be afraid to try shallower than you'd expect. I was catching walleyes yesterday afternoon in 15-20 ft at the weed line on a jig & shiner. The lake I was on is similar to Northstar in clarity, but much smaller. The water isn't extremely warm yet and i don't think the mayfly hatch is a huge thing on Northstar, so the walleyes could still be snatching shiners near weeds.

If you have a graph, that will do you a world of good. We graph a lot of walleyes while musky fishing out there. Recently they were right on the edge of the weeds near shore humps during the day.

The resort should be able to point you to bass/panfish spots.

minnphatts

Thanks for the info guys! Just curious, is there any size to the panfish on Northstar?

Also has anyone stayed at Northstar Lake resort? Is it decent?

CRBass

North Star Resort is fine. Caters to families, good beach, right off 38.

Panfish, crappies can be OK, when you can find them. Sunfish generally run small, but there are a lot of them. Perch are variable. If you consider Rock Bass a panfish, they are decent in size.

frogtosser

I am leaving to go camping at the resort up there tomorrow. I hope to hammer some bass and maybe a musky. Gonna have some fun fishing with the family and relaxing.

Jim Almquist

The weather forecast for the next couple of days sound great. I am jealous of your good timing.

I have to go to the wifes high school reunion cry

Johnson85

Its getting hot out muskies should be starting to pop soon, or at lease i sure hope so. any one been out fishing lately?

minnphatts

I fished all last week. Walleye bite was really tough, only managed one 21" fish. Bass were relatively easy to catch in the pads. Musky activity was pretty good, I only boated one smaller fish, but I had several good hits (including a monster at dusk on the surface) and a lot of follows. I can't say enough good things about North Star Lake Resort. Eric knows the lake well and his family does a great job, especially with the kids!

Scott M

Didn't get any muskies this past weekend but hooked up with a pair of really nice pike right outta the gate. Fished the southern side of the lake on the drop up to the rushes. Believer got both slot fish.

reinhard1

did you guy's ever fish the three little lakes down from the public access? there is a small channel to get you there. the first one has given up some nice pike and crappies for me as well as bass. same with the third and last one. the little middle pond realy hasn't produced much for me. good luck.

fishuhalik

Yer talking about the ponds you can see from the road? That small island has put out some nice bass for me. Haven't fished north star a lot though.

reinhard1

ya, i guess ponds would be a better way to describe them but two of them are fairly deep. on the first one [closest to the landing] i have had good luck with crappies when the sun touches the top of the trees as it's setting. right next to the weed edges. we used to camp there a lot with the family. good luck.

kingkobbla

How deep do they get?

reinhard1

i dont know the max depth off hand but i have been in 25 feet and i think the first pond and third pond get that deep if not deeper. i was in 25 feet casting to the weedlines at times in very clear water. never measured the middle since i didn't fish there. good luck.

merc

I was out there on Friday and was running over 60 feet in both of the bigger ones. There were a couple of boats throwing muskie lures around the island in the last bay along the road.

reinhard1

thanks. we used to catch walleys near the beach right before sundown when camping there with leeches under a bobber and also trolling with a crawler harness. we camped there before they cut the big trees down and soon afterward and camping wasn't much fun then. too much sun with no trees for shade. i'm sure it's different now. haven't been there for some time. good luck.

GodsCountry14

Any recent reports? Will be up this weekend to give muskies one last try. Thanks.