• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cant we all just get along? Ill be headed up to camp por about a week starting the weekend of the 4th so hopefully they turn on.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Lane

• bmc

• fishuhalik

• Esoxmn

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get this thread back to muskie reports and not questioning Lee on his musky skills!

I don't doubt Lee's claims one bit, he is one he!! of a musky fisherman. Moon phase and weather patterns play a HUGE part in the musky puzzle.

Back to musky reports! Thanks!!

Brian

Gary,

Sounds like your boat is up and running! Sorry I didn't get back to you about fishing a week ago!!

Brian

Not directing at anyone, hope I am clear. This is one of my favorite quotes...

'If you have to tell someone you are good at something, you're not.'

Swannie...I dont know much about the metro lakes except i dont like fishing them... what I can tell you is its clear and has deep holes with more weed bars than deer or moose lakes up here. My friend Jim Doyle Lost a 52 to 53 inch pig there 2 yrs ago after my brother did a poor net attempt. I like to Burn Black Bucktails fast on clear lakes thats where id start. also work all the deep edges of them weed bars with mag dawgs or pounders when the sun is shining and the weathers hot. Also with its super clear water waconia would be a great after dark lake. in other words if its overcast or theres a good chop burn a bucktail .....if not work bulldawgs around them deep edges. and check it out after dark if them tactics dont work. But Like I said...Ive fished the lake only a handful of times....Good Luck and have fun!!

sorry about the bickering glenn I should let things go ...but its hard for me to shut my mouth..my personality I guess. I get Irritated when I give reports trying to help people have a more successful fishing outing and I gotta listen to somones lip over something they have no clue about. I dont want to argue with anyone, I just want to catch big muskies and share Information.

Did I mention IM high strung?? ....LOL And One other thing I dont think Im good.....I put In ALOT of time MANY MANY MANY hours and I put myself In position to be Lucky...as with bowhunting whitetails or Icefishing lakers, after awhile you get good at putting yourself in position to be lucky. but not before many many hours of hard work.

i hear ya. coming from a guy that doesnt know jack about muskies. i keep hearing north star is a really hard lake to fish. i personally like sunfish and snot rocket fishin. no hard feeling, by the way we are over in the spring lake area. if i ever did do a muskie fish, i would like one for the wall then my muskie venture would be done....i think? carry on!

Another thing...have any of you Grand rapids area muskie hunters seen any 50 inch class fish in north star? I did last yr about a 52 but couldnt get it to eat ....seen it laying on the same weed point for 2 days ...It wasnt like one of them vermilion or mille lacs fish that just was laying there digesting either it was chasing baits but rather lazily. other than that mostly 47 and 48 inch fish for me there . Just curious to what anyone else has seen.

I dont think northstars that hard to fish..lots of multiple fish days there for me. out of 10 trips there this yr we boated fish on 8 ....thats pretty good odds in my book. It seems to have slowed a little as of late but thats fishin. I like doing guide trips on northstar theres lots of cabbage to cast to and its easy to work and most of the time it aint too hard to get a legal muskie to cooperate. Oh and I dont have to waste alot of gas Its pretty cheap to fish too ..LOL

Not directing at anyone, hope I am clear. This is one of my favorite quotes...

'If you have to tell someone you are good at something, you're not.'

Buddy, you need to know when to close your mouth. You're gonna get this thread shut down. Lee's a great fisherman, probably one of the best in the area, period. I don't know him personally but he's given a ton of info on this site and I trust his reports. Please, just keep comments like that to yourself unless there's a legit reason to doubt.

if i ever did do a muskie fish, i would like one for the wall then my muskie venture would be done....i think? carry on!

Trust me, it won't end there. The first time you have a 50" fish follow a lure to the boat, your sunnie and pike days will be over and your wife will be leaving you because you just spent $3000 on new rods, reels, & lures!

Originally Posted By: glenn57
if i ever did do a muskie fish, i would like one for the wall then my muskie venture would be done....i think? carry on!

Trust me, it won't end there. The first time you have a 50" fish follow a lure to the boat, your sunnie and pike days will be over and your wife will be leaving you because you just spent $3000 on new rods, reels, & lures!

SOOO,my best bet you to not bother even startin, iquess!

Question for any of you North Star Anglers. I've never fished the lake before and was planning on giving it a try Tues-Thursday this up coming week.

I plan on trying to get my father in law his first musky, 70 years old now and never gone before. Looking for any advice nothing spot specicfic just maybe some pointers.

I read earlier in this post Lee had mentioned something about the landing being bad?? Is really?? Also are there any hazards out there or is the lake marked pretty good. I have navionics and lake master chips in my eletronics.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way Lee is a great fisherman, I have fished those same tournaments, and Lee is always in the top 5 no matter what lake there on!!

Thanks,

Jeff

All I know is because of this thread I'm penciling this lake in as a finalist for a camping trip next summer smile

Hey Lee,

Thanks for your report. Never really heard about this lake before, so thanks,plus,did a little DNR research of my own, and so me and some of my local Muskie Inc. Chapter buddies plan on coming up over the fourth. There will be actually six different rigs..........mostly Rangers and Tuffys. What color is your 20 foot ranger? Maybe we can meet up for a cold one. Sounds like we need to fish the mid lake humps that don't get bludgdeoned by everyone else that beats teh points, reedy islands, points and obvious weed beds to a froth.

Thanks again for the heads up Lee! If there are any other lakes you wish to mouthpiece over the web as well, we'd be very interested! Post more pics of your 100 over 50, or 50 over 50 that is I guess! LOVE to see those big fish pics! Rarely, do others try an figure out where it is that people are fishing, have fished, live or are putting time in on the water! Oh, by the way, where did you get that buck in your avatar? Or at least, what general area was it? Effie, Bigfork, Silverdale, Marcell???????

Oh, I know North Star generally does'nt kick out any muskies over four foot, so every thing is safe as far as that goes anyways! We're all catch and release anyways right?

Good luck buddy and tight lines to ya,

Jim Gleason

Wow, after reading this thread, I'm thinking about hitting this lake up hard even though I've never heard much about it until now. I mean 5-6 fish days, I'm all over that. Not hard to figure out a small lake, I'll be able to put a pattern together in 2 days tops. I'll be in a red Lund Pro V 90 tiller, stop and say Hi if you see me Lee as I will do the same. Also, thanks for the heads up on this one.

I was thinking the same thing as Lee; few days of warm stabil weather to warm the water up, storms rolling in with some wind, and moon phase... I could almost smell the slime.. But unfortunately I had to sit home and watch it go by. But it's still muskie fishing and for most we are not able to put in the time to be confindent to put fish in the boat each trip. Lee said he was fortunate to fish a large number of days a year which means he gets to stay on top of the fish and it sounds like he's a talented fisherman. I know a few guides and the numbers they put up seem unbelievable too, but they also put in their time. That's where I lack as a fisherman and when I get out each time I have to start from square one and figure things out all over again which is sometimes to late. I'm not to worried about Lee exposing North Star or Blandin Reservoir or any other lake just because it still takes time to "unlock their secrets"... anyways, nice post Lee and keep up the reports. You don't see to many people that report patterns, movements, and catches for muskies.

The lake is only a 1000 acres. Not that hard to figure out. I would have the pattern dialed in after 2 full days on this lake guaranteed. I do it to new lakes all the time that are two to three times bigger than this one.

I wasn't refering to Dhanson but just in general.

Let us know how you do after your trip....

Well apparently theres alot of people not to happy that I post reports on Northstar. Unfortunatly some are under the belief that If theres people Pounding "their" Lake its the direct reason they arent catching fish. HOGWASH!!! Judging by the email to my website someone was very angry!! O well... they are going to have to "DEAL WITH IT" as a minnesota citizen who purchased and has in his poessession a valid Minnesota fishing liscense I have the right to fish any lake I choose as do we all. People acting Like they own certain bodies of water is just ridiculous but lets all remember to have jaw spreaders and good cutters to release them cowgirl and bulldawg fish especially .....trying to remove a number 7 hook without cutting them is not good for the fish and ive seen a number of boats at the northstar acess with many rods reels and giant baits but no net and no tools!!! If you catch a Muskie that Eats a cowgirl and you dont cut the hooks ....ITS most likely going to die!

geez, some people's children....just keep fishing lee. Don't let these goofs get ya down

More than 10 years ago I used to get frustrated as there seemed to be a huge jump in muskie fisherman and the idea of watching trains of boats working spots used to get to me. But since then I've caught fish right behind boats so I can block it out. This Tuesday I went on my first outting with MI boys on Moose. There are some good avid fisherman and I actually shared a boat with a guy that fishes MN tourney's and knows ya Lee (Gary R). We were on the subject of Northstar so that's how it came about. Anyways, after Gary landed a small fish we started putting stuff together opted for a spot that 3 boats from out group have worked and left already. I ended up landed 1 fish, lost two (one little one I let shake off), had a nice follow and one blow up on a lure in this one spot. No one else seen anything there. It just goes to show you can fish behine boats and still get fish. One of the other boats caught 2 while trolling open water so there many ways to find and catch fish.

Now that I have my first trip under my belt I can't wait to get out again!