• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey FM people!

I have a buddy who talked me into staying a week on North Star Lake the week of July 4th. What can I expect as far as fishing goes. I am looking for an idea of how the fishing will be and if I will be around many pleasure boaters.

Thanks!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Lane

• bmc

• fishuhalik

• Esoxmn

Top Posters In This Topic

Northstar is a great multi species lake. Everything from panfish, to lm bass and sm bass, walleyes, northerns, and muskies.

There's a couple resorts on the lake and a Federal Campground at the public access. I'm not sure on the pleasure boaters, but like any other popular lake in the area, there probably will be some.

Brian

If you are looking for a resort to stay at, I would highly recommend Cedar Point Resort. The folks that own it are great and it's a really nice resort.

I would agree with BassLaker and would recommend Cedar Point Resort.

• 3 weeks later...

I fished the lake last year over the 4th and and again later in the summer around the end of august and never had any problems with pleasure boaters in fact hardly saw any.

So what your saying is it's a good lake to camp and fish with a small boat?

throw a jig and minnow along the weeds and you will catch something if you want walleyes try a lindy on the humps and bars that time of year or cast for northerns and muskies in the weeds

good luck

Jason

You can fish any size boat on the lake, there's a nice public access. I don't know of any camping sites on the lake, though.

There is a fed campground less than a mile north of the landing. They have no power or water hookups though its a primative area.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a guide trip that was suppose to be on Vermillion, But why not go to northstar since the weathers been so cold and its close to my house right?? we found 57 to 58 degree water temps and lazy fish. Though we managed to put a 41 and a 42 inch muskie in the boat all the bigger female fish were LOW and SLOW!!!! It wont be Long on that lake before Muskie anglers will be braced for action with bigger fish eating baits. In the mean time I talked to my brother who fished Vermillion and He boated a 41 and a 50 and had over 30 follows!!! I think his exact words were ""IN spots we seen 50 Inchers stacked up like cord wood!"" maybe I made a mistake fishing northstar ......go figure.

Sounds like a good start to the 'ski season for you guy's Lee! I just got my reel back from repairs and got it spooled up and ready to rumble! I might give Moose or Deer a try this week.

Brian

I boated a piglet last year on lake independence right away after muskie opener ...fish was 52 inches and went about somewhere around 40lbs...in fact it was my first muskie of the season last yr, but that was down in the city where typically the water temps are alot further along than up here in the frozen tundra. Myself id rather go catch some crappies or eyeballs or maybe even try my hand at a burntside laker and let the water temps climax a bit before I start hittin er hard for muskies ....however it wasnt long after that that I started getting multiple high 40s fish after dark on northstar last year....I think it was somewhere around june 14th. Anyway Im headed down to the metro Muskie tournament next weekend...It aint no secret I hate fishing down there, I cant stand it at all!! but my partner Likes it and lives there so I gotta take one for the team!

Geez, 30 follows on V? Sounds a little too good.... smile I guess the potential's there but i've never even heard of a day like that

If you aint seeing fish on Big You are not fishing in the right spot. And Id bet My best Muskie bait that in these conditions their stacked up in shallow weedy bays and will remain until they transition out to the main lake rock stuff in late june or july. As for the 30 follows...thats typical if you fish hard all day on that lake , unless your one of those that beats and pillages the same spot all day long wich can pay off also if your in a good spot holding lots of fish.

• 2 weeks later...

With the water at or nearing 70 degrees on northstar the nightbite is full tilt with multiple fish being boated every nite now for the last 5 days. the day bite is still spotty with all the pressure on community spots ..Look to the weedy points or any area that holds a good cabbage edge for that matter. Northstar holds alot of structure that never gets touched with boats camping on the same spots day after day.. old habits die hard with some fisherman I guess.

No fish bigger than 47 inches yet but fair action for my boat all week. With my most important guide clients ( wife and son) both boating fish on wednesday afternoon. Also just for the heck of it I let My 6 yr old daughter cast My sons muskie pole for fun and to my amazement she casts and works baits like a tourney champ!!! I was shocked but also proud It wont be long I presume before Im posting pics of her first ski!

Thanks for the great report Lee! My 11 year old daughter wants to land a 'ski this summer, so I'll be hitting Deer and Moose when she's here.

If you are ever looking for a partner to fish with on Deer or Moose, let me know!

Brian

I'll be making my first trip to the area in years on Friday morning. We're staying on North Star Lake at the NF campground. Any tips for shore fishing this lake?

Last week there were quite a few bass and bluegills in the reeds right in front of the campground. The water temps have gone up in the last week im sure.

as of friday water temps are 70, as for shore fishing i guess get some chest waders!! where were you yesterday brian I was lookin on here for someone to fish the evening into dark. no takers so I mixed up a drink and stayed home:( would have boated five or six with the weather and moon but its a hassle for me to land boat by my self at the northstar access what do ya do. wife wasnt into it i begged but she was too tired to go.

Ah man, I'm bummed!!! I was on days Fri and Sat. Fished Deer Lake for 'eyes Friday night and got a piggy, 29.25" and few eaters too. I was beat last night after work...veged out on the couch, had a couple drinks, watched the Twins blow a lead, and was in the rack by 9:30. On my long stretch of work now, nights all week........yuck! Keep me in mind if you need a fishing partner for 'ski's.

Thanks!!

Brian

Lee hit me up on email and I'll get you my cell if u might be looking for someone to join you Friday. I'm heading up alone early to set-up camp. Everyone else has to work in the cities until 6pm.

[email protected]

Ah man, I'm bummed!!! I was on days Fri and Sat. Fished Deer Lake for 'eyes Friday night and got a piggy, 29.25" and few eaters too. I was beat last night after work...veged out on the couch, had a couple drinks, watched the Twins blow a lead, and was in the rack by 9:30. On my long stretch of work now, nights all week........yuck! Keep me in mind if you need a fishing partner for 'ski's.

Thanks!!

Brian

hey at least the fish will be safe for the week!!! laughlaughlaugh bmc will probably be going thru friday nite. stop at the usual cenex for gas.

"would have boated five or six with the weather and moon but its a hassle for me to land boat by my self at the northstar access what do ya do."

Would have boated 5 or 6 skis but you didn't go out cause it was a hassle to launch the boat? Wow... some people would love to catch 5 or 6 skis in a season much less an outing... thats a pretty bold statement no matter where you are fishing imo... good luck casting the remainder of the year

Rumor has it Lee is half man/half musky. Probably a little lake trout DNA in him too! grin

From what I've heard and the pics I've seen......Lee KNOWS muskies and lake trout!!! Enough said.

Brian

Hey if anyones looking for a boat partner for ski fishing in the rapids area call/text me up 218-244-6292 or

email tjf_com @ hotmail . com

I am open most evenings after work and fish about anywhere in the area. Just give me a day or two heads up so I can grab my gear also to check the email.

I too sometimes have trouble find people available to roll.

Thanks for silencing the critics bmc!!! First of all Good GOD!!! what does anyone else care If I didnt want to deal with Landing My 20ft fiberglass ranger by myself and scrape the keel on the rocks at the shallow access on northstar???? Can I do it >???Yes I can but Its just what I said...A Hassle and on that particular night I didnt wanna deal with it.!!! Ive Boated Hundreds Of Muskies and 100 over 50inches, guided for muskies for a good while now, won tourneys...placed high in others...helped many boat their first...seen a few boat their last muskie. Im fairly confident The world will still turn!! My bottom Line Is dont give me an attitude because I have the skill to boat 5 or 6 muskies in a day...How do You suppose I got that good?? not by sitting home because the landing was a hassle!!!! I fish dayumm near 365 days a year, guiding or on the road in some motel for a tourney...away from my family for weeks at a time, sometimes more. But I do It because I love it and Im very fortunate to be able to do what I do, there were people who onece laffed at me for going for it...following my dream...they made similar ignorant statments to the one you made!!! And If I feel Like taking the night off because I wasnt feelin it I deserve it>! And for 350.00 Bucks You could hire me and I would have made sure I landed my boat with no complaints!!!

Thank You, Lee Lane

Anyways ....I come here for a fishing report..75 to 76 degree water temps....didnteven move a fish on the star yesterday except for a measly 5 lber. after dark was about the same moved a 40 incher on a bucktail but it would not eat...the second pass around the large weed bar found me throwing a pacemaker and lost the same skinny 40 incher on the figure 8. I worked deep with crankbaits and mag dawgs...shallow with bucktails and top water heck I even worked In the reeds...... Slow Slow SSLOOOOOW thats My story for the last few days.

Lee,

If you need a partner Friday night July 3rd let me know! I work days that day, but would be free after 5 or 6 at the latest! Full moon is on the 7th.....but I'm sure you already knew that!

Brian

Ive Boated Hundreds Of Muskies and 100 over 50inches, guided for muskies for a good while now, won tourneys...placed high in others... My bottom Line Is dont give me an attitude because I have the skill to boat 5 or 6 muskies in a day...How do You suppose I got that good?? not by sitting home because the landing was a hassle!!!! I fish dayumm near 365 days a year.

And for 350.00 Bucks You could hire me and I would have made sure I landed my boat with no complaints!!!

Thank You, Lee Lane

100 Over 50 Huh?

5 or 6 in a night no problem.

If I give you 400.00 will you guarantee me 5 or 6 muskies in one night?

or how about just 3 over 50?

If your gonna stretch a story, try and make it believable.