• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Vikings draft

koonie

I agree Mike. If we're going to trash talk Harvin because of the weed issue, then we need to look back at the baggage that Moss brought to the Vikes. As we all know, he turned out to be the best WR in the league.

Anyone remember when the Vikes passed on Warren Sapp? Why?

If the Vikes can keep Harvin clean and he stays healthy, he'll make an instant impact.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james_walleye

• fishin58

• FISHINGURU

• Rick

I like the Loadholt pick, not so sure about the Harvin pick. Harvin is a "get him the ball in space" guys, and those players from the past few drafts haven't lived up to hype (looking at Bush and McFadden). His bigger impact might be as a return man, something the Vikings do need. If I want someone with the ball in space, I'd still opt to give it to Peterson.

Being a Sooner fan I got to see Loadholt play over the last two seasons,he was an ok lineman but never reached the high level many thought when he first went to Oklahoma after leaving JUCO ball.One thing that he lacks is foot speed,that's one reason you won't see him at LT...Harvin of course could be a big time threat to score everytime he gets the football,but IMHP the Vikes will never get over the hump with the current QB they have.

I loved this draft personally. Harvin is incredibly dynamic. As critical as i have been reguarding chilly, the one this this organization has been is very careful on who they bring in. I trust if they didnt feel they could keep this kid in line they wouldnt have taken him, especially with solid players like Oher and Nicks on the board. Now what im not sure i trust is can chilly use him to his potential. But there is no doubt this guy is very dynamic and incredibly explosive.

I know people originally were bummed with not taking Oher, but I think they knew they could come back with Loadholt. What a perfect fit to the vikings system. A giant roadgrader who can jump in as a 2nd rounder and start from day 1. It hasnt been to often the vikings have guys in their first 2 picks who should make a nice impact early.

there doing the right thing so far in there draft. The WR postion was there #1 postion they needed to fill. And they added a player into a whole on there second pick.

See how they do today!

Dave, agreed on Harvin. I'm more concerned about the injuries at this point. If he proves to be injured a lot then it's a bad pick. Still, typically there is a reason dynamic players "slide" to the end of the first round.

I probably shouldn't compare Harvin to Moss. The pick is around the same area but I think they are hoping Harvin can be that posession receiver that moves the sticks. They have Berrian for the burner which is also what Moss was.

I forgot about Sapp and we took Alexander. The other one was Underwood. I remember watching that draft and hoping Patrick Kearny would slide to the Vikes. He did and they took Underwood. I couldn't believe it. I quit watching the draft too closely after that year.

Hope this kid proves everyone wrong who sais he is a diva. Sure seems like alot of these guys have a tough time getting off the marry jane.....

I dont think they are hoping to be a possession player, not with how explosive he is. Go youtube him and you'll see what im talking about. Its amazing how many TD's this kid caught from the wideout position from 5-15 yards out on beatiful slants and skinny posts. The vikes struggle in the redzone, this should help. The talent he has in taking 3 yard routes and turning them into 20-30 yard gains is amazing. Another aspect the vikings lack in a west coast offense. 1 guy doesnt bring him down. And of course the plays he made lined up in the backfield was also amazing. Imagine the prospects of having AP and Harvin in the backfield. I mean there would be no keying on AP because Harvin can take it 80 yards just as fast as AP. There is alot of diversity with Harvin. And besides the exposive nature he brings, it should all add up to teams not being able to dial up on AP as easily. And yeah we are leaving it up to Chilly to create this madness, but just because that is a question mark doesnt mean you don't draft the kid.

It was reported on ESPN that a GM in the NFC north has already stated he doesnt even want to think about trying to contain AP and Harvin on the same field.

I like the pick. Adding another playmaker of this caliber to the offense is a good move. But ONLY if they open up the #%$&!$# playbook a little bit. If you draft a guy like this, you better have more plays than the 7-yard out and curl patterns that seem to comprise the vast majority of the Vikings pass plays.

Then, and only then, will we get a good measure of how good Harvin is or can be, and for that matter, how good T-Jack can be.

I agree. Some of the worst coverage by espn. That Smith guy is terrible in studio. He seemed like he didn't know what to say. Boomer kept stuttering trying to find things to say. Seems like they over did it to an extent that nothing else could be said leaving them with nothing to elaborate.

I did a poll on a different forum about the worst sportscasters and Stu Scott and Chris Berman from ESPN won in a landslide. How old do his dumb nicknames get???

I like their first two picks....

Harvin is similiar to R. Moss in that he was a top ten talent, but had issues keeping him from going there. Hopefully, he keeps his nose clean and makes some big plays for us for years to come...Do you guys remember the things you did at 21-22 years old and don't do anymore???? Most guys grow up...hopefully he does also. He was drafted to put A$$es in seats. They knew they needed to get a playmaker on O to get people interested again. This is something I find ridiculous considering we have the best RB in the NFL; someone who is a threat to go for 300 yards every game and makes plays no one else can even dream of making. Now, if we can just get Chili to open up the playbook and get this guy some plays in space....Our QB's, will be a lot better.

Personally, I would like to see an option attack out of the I from time to time...TJack at qb, AP at fb and Harvin as TB. Or Harvin at Qb with Taylor at fb and AP at tb....The options are endless here!!!!!!!!!!

Loadholt...6'8"...WOW...Big boy and sounds like a solid run blocker. Good! Run more power plays with AP and CT.

New pick is just in.Asher Allen a CB from Georgia. Addresses a depth need in the D backfield.

Harvin is a terrible pick. China doll pot smoking punk. Sure he's talented but there were tons of better options out there for the Vikes.

Loadholt could pan out pretty well for you guys. Allen... meh. Could be ok but he's not a very physical corner

as far as the NFC North, I'd say the Pack had the best draft so far, although if you include Cutler in the Bears haul, they're up there too.

Lions didn't go the direction I wanted with the 1st pick but Pettigrew is very solid and Delmas is a good safety.

And [PoorWordUsage] is Al Davis doing? Man

Did you watch Harvin at all? Name a game in which he wasnt the best player on the field, playing in the SEC and 2 national championship games included. There were not a ton of better options at 22. They have a top 10 talent they believe they can keep in line.

thats pretty easy - the games he missed to injury, and any game in which Tim Tebow was on the field.

He's a great college player but he's not a very good pure WR. I'd liken him to Devin Hester - very explosive and elusive, but not very well suited to be an every down WR. You'll have to pray he stays healthy, out of trouble, and that the coaching staff can come up with a lot of creative ways to get him the ball.

I think Oher would have been a home run at 22, Vontae Davis would fill the CB position very well, and that Hakeem Nicks and Brian Robiskie are going to be solid NFL wideouts. Heck Pat White has the skill set Harvin does but with some pretty good QB talent as well

I could be wrong but with Harvin's character issues and injury issues, I think the Vikes would have been better served by taking a different route

most of the top athletes smoke herb...what people do in their free time is their own business as long as they aren't getting suspended i couldn't care less.

every single pick in the draft is a gamble..might as well gamble on a dynamic play maker that can take it to the house...he should know whats expected of him around here and the locker room we've tried to build should help the kid out.

the load is sure a load..you don't need very quick feet at RT and i'm sure some good coaching can help him with his leverage..hes a beast out there...there will be some big holes over there for AP!!

as for allen i'm not a fan of small corners but hopefully he can make an impact right away at the return game.

Pat White has the same skill set?? How can you even begin to say that? The guy has never caught a pass. He is a QB possibly converting to some WR and playing some wildcat. Harvin is a WR that is going to play WR and is versatile enough to line up at RB as well as return kicks.

What is with this creative ways to get him the ball? Do you realize how many 5-15 yard TD passes he caught on slants and such, not gimic plays? Do you realize how many 3 yard curl routes this guy turned into 30 yard plays? Have you forgotten the vikings roster isnt exactly loaded with guys that can do this, one of the most important things for WR's in the west coast? This guy creates things on his own, he doesnt need anyone to create for him. A guy this explosive should lead to teams not being able to load up as hard on AP. Sorry, but Robiskie would not have been able to do this. Give the guy some credit for being able to do all this and then line up in the backfield and have the vision to make huge plays in the running game as well. I like Chester, but Harvin lined up in the backfield at times with AP creates many more matchup problems than Chester and AP. That is alot more speed with catching ability than Chesters. When you know you can comeback in the 2nd round with OT like Loadholt and Beatty still available why not take a playmaker. They don't need a Robiskie, my lord outside of Berrian all they have is possession guys. The vikings arent some 5 win team that needs to go the "safe" way and get some building blocks. They needed a playmaker in the worst way and they got one, and STILL got their OT. That situation to me is a no brainer in what a person could have wanted to see out of the first 2 picks.

I agree. Harvins skill level is loads above Pat White. Everyone that talks about Harvin says that when he played he was the best player on the field(Including the 2 national championships). He is explosive, dynamic and can do things that not many others can. He will be a headache for teams this year. The only downside is the injury. I did just hear something about the possibility of having to put a plate where the fracture occurred? But the upside is there. I like Loadholt too. Huge mountain of a man. Allen im not too sold on, but he is a 3rd rounder. Small but can make the tackle.

Did you watch Harvin at all? Name a game in which he wasnt the best player on the field, playing in the SEC and 2 national championship games included. There were not a ton of better options at 22. They have a top 10 talent they believe they can keep in line.

They "hope" they can keep him in line!!!

PRO SPORTS DAILY:

At some point, a player's talent just is not worth where he is picked, no matter how physically gifted he is.

If I did not have Pac Man Jones rated in my top 65 players before the 2005 NFL Draft, you would have called me crazy.

Same goes for former players like Lawrence Phillips, Rae Carruth, Dimitrius Underwood, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, among countless others drafted in the first round.

What am I getting at?

Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki has hinted at Percy Harvin's severe character concerns, which make him a very risky prospect.

Harvin's track record goes all the way back to high school where he had multiple incidents.

In 2004 as a junior, he served a one-game suspension for unsportsmanlike conduct during a game. Having played high school sports, I know you have to do something pretty bad to warrant a suspension.

Harvin was reportedly involved in a fight during the end of a basketball game, and it got so big the officials called the game.

As a senior, Harvin was suspended for the remainder of his athletic high school eligibility by the Virginia High School League for numerous incidents during basketball games.

Scout.com reported that in 2004, “Harvin was suspended from school for an altercation with the school's wrestling coach. After horseplay in the cafeteria, Harvin and the coach/teacher had an altercation that Harvin claims was blown out of proportion, but still leads to a two-game suspension.”

Also in 2005, “He was charged with misdemeanor assault for his role in a street fight and was suspended for two games during the football season of his senior year. Charges were eventually dropped.”

Harvin is a bust waiting to happen. Giving a player a few million dollars only makes his behavior worse because he will get more attention. Nawrocki has stated that Harvin has an entourage that follows him around and he rubs people the wrong way.

How bad does your character have to be that your athletic career is over in high school? The answer is pretty terrible.

It looks like Harvin has not learned from his past as he has tested positive for marijuana at the Combine. Neither Harvin nor his agent has appealed this report.

On top of all this are Harvin's severe durability concerns.

I have no idea where I am going to place him on my Top 100 of my Big Board at this point, but definitely not in the top 65.

Do not be shocked at all if Harvin falls out of the first two rounds altogether. He might just fall out of the first three rounds. Who knows, maybe he goes undrafted!

Considering that Roger Goddell is cracking down on character and a player like Harvin would be a head case, teams just might feel like he isn't worth drafting at all.

Think about Pac Man Jones. If you had to do it all over again, would you spend even a seventh-round pick on him?

If not, then maybe you shouldn't spend a draft pick on the next Pac Man Jones: Percy Harvin.

Matt McGuire: Pro Sports Daily

i hear ya there james...percy was the best player on the board at our pick imo...his upside could possibly be one of the best players in the draft period.

i think he's everything this team needs as a WR...just for the simple fact he has to accounted for every play...just that is saying alot...not to mention quick slants, curls, up n outs, reverses, in motion to the back field, bubble screens, ect...we already do alot of that stuff we just don't have a player very good at any of it lol...we do now though.

allen should be good but not the shutdown corner we were lookin for but rather a nickle guy and special teamer...he's a mean tackler and did really good at returning kicks...a little on the slower side but still quick and elusive.

Again, would Childress as conservative as he has been make this pick if he didnt think himself and the vikings locker room couldnt keep him in line?? I guess i will trust the FO on this issue.

For every Lawrence Phillips that was a bust there is a couple guys who actually straightened up and walked the straight line. But you don't here about these guys. Its not fun to read about these guys. That doesnt get ratings.

And as i stated earlier the vikes werent the only team that wanted him. Its out there that even after trading up to get Sanchez the jets tried again to trade up to the browns spot to get Harvin in front of the vikings. Had they not been able to trade up for Sanchez, Harvin was their guy at 17.

i love top 10 talent at #22, a large percent of draft picks are busts anyway...only difference is this pick will be so magnified compared to if we would of went the safe conservative route and took oher or britton and they ended up not being that great you wouldn't hear anything about it.

its a gamble and people have a right to question the move...but i'm down with it the pick i like it...worked out with randy and people questioned that move...it worked out with jared when everyone thought it wasn't smart because of his issues....maybe it ends up being a stellar pick and maybe it ends up being a bad pick no one will know for awhile...but i like the gamble.

I just don't think as conservative as Childress and this FO is right now that they would have made the move if he wasnt confident Harvin would stay straight. Im alright with it to. If its the 7th pick its a different story. A late first rounder, i love the prospects of what he brings.

forsure...i also like our 4th round pick...he should be able to come in right away and improve our passing game...especially with his new weapon..woooooooooooooooooooooo

I agree Guru, we basically traded an unproven tight end for an above average qb, seems like an awesome deal.

Who's this above average QB? Certainly not Sage Rosenfels. I don't think he's much of an improvement over Jackson, if any

I think with the addition of Harvin it can open up some of those short in and out routes for us. Much like the way Steve Smith is used. All this character talk, imo, has more to do with the media picking apart someone. What would we have to talk about if he didn't have these "issues"? I think I have heard numerous times how chilly is so conservative. He won't want a player with issues. He backed off Cutler because of his past issues. And I would only assume that Cutlers past is not near what Harvins is. We can all look up all the bad things that Harvin has done in his past, but we only hope his future stays bright and things go right for him.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The writings on the wall, Tjack is the starter unless something major happens. Harvin is multi-purpose as he can play RB as well.

The Vikes will want as much speed as they can get in the backfield to create mis-matches and they have Harvin to keep 8 out of the box and someone on defense will have to honor Tjacks running ability.

Harvin got as many yards rushing as he has receiving. Good kick returner too. He's explosive so maybe we get some similarities to Hester there. If only Chili were more creative smile

i agree sage is a good qb and a big improvement over t-awesome....all my enthusiasm is out the window if t-awesome is the starter this year...that would be such a downer....there's no writing on the wall...thats nice t-awesome can run a little bit but it don't help that he can't pass.

What makes you think TJack will be the starter Rick? I've heard Chilly make some statements that would make me think otherwise but who really knows. My bet is Sage will be the q-back...I think when they pulled TJack out after the 2nd game last year it really showed what they thought of him. I thought the Vikes had a really solid draft and I'm excited to see what Harvin can do on the turf.