• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Super tags?

mrklean

Ok reading in some of these posts many people say that hunting is becoming for rich people only. Idaho has the governors tag which is the prized tag you can bid on so you can hunt a trophy zone. Montana has that super tag. What would you guys think of something like that for MN so you could hunt moose or elk since they are once in a lifetime? Offer one tag for moose and one for elk where they will be auctioned off? It would bring good money for the DNR but what do you guys think?

Allowing one super-wealthy individual the opportunity to bypass the system for the hunt of a lifetime many of us have been applying for our whole lives in order to generate revenue?

I was trying to think of a one word response, but I couldn't decide between detestable and moronic.

sounds like a grand idea. throw in a prairie chicken permit too.

Take the money and use it for something to do with hunting though, I dont wanna see the ca$h go to the general fund.

haha prairie chicken i like that, i think it would be great idea depending on what type of money is generated. My guess is since we dont really have trophy moose something like that would go for like $5000 maybe, and the elk my guess $5000-10000 maybe thats a ton of money that could really help that state. But i guess you one thing is you could pay money like that to outfitters in different states for bigger animals.

Totally agree with you Peatmoss, I dont think its fair that someone with more money would get to take a hunt away from someone else who cant afford to pay that much for a hunt. The little bit of money it did bring in would probably go to something that didnt benifit hunting anyways.

So if you guys had tons of money and wanted to hunt lets say bighorn sheep in a state where they only issue 200 permits a year but you had a chance to buy one in a auction for $xxx you guys wouldnt because it would be taking that one permit away from someone else?

I would rather see the DNR start racking and stacking non-resident fee's for all of their licenses like the surrounding states do.

I hope my perspective wouldnt change just because I have lots of money. Right now as I sit I dont have enough money to afford something like that and I dont think someone should get special privlages just because they have more money. Everyone should have the same odds of getting a tag regardless of how much money they have even if it is just taking away one tag away.

So if you guys had tons of money and wanted to hunt lets say bighorn sheep in a state where they only issue 200 permits a year but you had a chance to buy one in a auction for $xxx you guys wouldnt because it would be taking that one permit away from someone else?

NO, I WOULD NOT.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Here, Here I'm with you 2 guys. Let the little guy win once in while! How about one FREE draw tag to someone and sell the rest like they are doing! It can't always be about money! People from top to bottom love the sport, but not all can pay for it. So spread the Pain & the Gain! cry

I would say that any "SUPER TAG" offered to the highest bidder must also have a duplicate "WORKING MANS SUPER TAG" that has the same advantages but at a lower raffle price (non refundable low price). I would bet the monies generated by the "SUPER TAG" would be less than the "WORKING MANS SUPER TAG" in most cases.

Terrible idea in my opinion.

I love Leech's idea. Maybe pay a VERY minimal amount to apply for the supertag (like $2.00) with that money going straight towards a project that would benefit hunters.

No need to welcome me to America there klean, been here my whole 45 yrs. I've more or less been law abiding and gainfully employeed. Even wore this country's uniform and served part-time for a 6 yr stint.

I try my best to live by a set of principles and one of them is that I believe that access to our great natural resources should be equal among all of us. It is highly unlikely that I shall ever be a wealthy man, but if I did, I hope and pray that I would be man enough to hold true to what I believe in.

wiser, i think the super tag in montana is $5 and you can buy as many as you want it is like a raffle, but i know Idaho its the governors tag it is highest bidder for a trophy zone. Thats how the guy who shot the spider elk, pending world record got it, paid $100,000 for the tag

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see a big problem with it. We're talking about ONE tag. I know it is a slippery slope and I don't really trust most of our agenices with managing the $$$ it would generate, but I still think it may be worth the chance.

I would be hesitant if it was more than ONE tag, but the difference it would make in the odds of the average Joe getting drawn is miniscule.