• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team #4 "TOMINATORS"

DonBo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• delzz7

• huntmup

• eyehead

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Dan! Wish our hunt went as good as yours but it was not meant to be. My kid went home with nothing more than good (I hope) memories and a wing bone caller I made for him.

I think there were only 4 of 10 successful hunts in the metro area. You're right, it was a very memorable and rewarding hunt for me and I will definitly be doing it again.

I think it's a success just getting the kids out to experience the hunt. Memories of the experience is what it's all about. The bird is a bonus. A wing bone caller??? well there you go. I bet that wing bone will be in his bag each hunt and be his go to call. cool

Taking the time to mentor the youth is a great experience and if anyone knows of a youth that is interested in turkey hunting get them in the program next year.

Dan

delzz7 and eyehead thanks and congrats to you guys.

With the three birds in the bag our NWTF score is 156.64 gringrin

Dan

Ryan, Thanks and you should have stopped. You can always run later grin. Where are you hunting north of Redwood?? If you need more land I may be able to help.

Dan

Scott Stein starts this Saturday (in the rain). Go get 'em!

Eyehead, you gonna get that bird of yours submitted?

Well actually I have to work at the hog farm Saturday morning and afternoon and Sunday morning,I'm hoping to get out when I get off Saturday morning at about 9 and hunt til 1 and then get back out at about 3.My dad got one this morning,22.5 lbs/9.5 in beard/3/4 in spurs in the place where I'm going also and he said there was 3 other ones around when he shot his. They didnt spook either they just were looking around so he called and they gobbled right back and then he left them and they slowly walked away. I'm pumped!!!!!!!!

Hey guys I'm finally back. Had some work commitments and a family emergency I had to be at. Anyway I just realized I made a bonehead move and forgot to put the contest form along with the picture eek I was in such a hurry to get it cleaned and on the road that I forgot about the form...Sorry it was a rough week.

here's the pics....

dsc00108z.jpg

dsc00110nsc.jpg

dsc00111qtq.jpg

Scott's been a no-show, hope his hunt's going well. Kinda nasty weather yesterday, better today. Good luck!

Eyehead, still looking for your bird on the submission page...I'd want to be showin' that bad boy off to everybody! cool

Good Luck Scott I see under a different topic, you had some jakes around you saturday.

I harvested my first nebraska turkey last friday. We had quite the weather Wednesday 82, Thursday it was 85 and by friday late afternoon it was snowing which accumualated to about a couple of inches. Because of the snow and the forcast of another .25 inch of rain, we ended up leaving a day early. The roads were in pretty bad shape.

The birds did not respond to the calls at all, which was a little disappointing. We'll try going next year a week later and hopefully they won't be henned up so bad.

I posted a picture under the topic Lets see some turkey pictures

Good job delzz. Seems a little unfair you've got two in the box already and I haven't even gotten to look under the hood of mine yet. cry Nine days and counting... smile

hey guys,well I'm sittin in school right now because we have a baseball game and if you miss any school you cant play. I went out Saturday afternoon when I got off work and within 15 mins had 4 jakes within 20 yds and everytime they left and we called they came right back, but I didnt want to shoot beings it was the first day, and had 1 tom with a hen locked up on the ridge where I was going to sit,but when I got out there I called and he gobbled so I didnt wanna go onto the ridge and kick him out. Sunday I didnt get out it was pouring here all day and windy as heck. Yesterday I went out until 8:30 a.m. and had toms gobbling all over me until 7:00 a.m. then it was like someone hit the mute button,not a one gobble after that and seen nothing. Went out last night from 4-8 p.m to a spot where there has been 10 toms/jakes/hens feeding EVERY night and I mean EVERY night since last Saturday and of course the night I go,not one showed up! Won't be getting out tonight so I'm planning on doing the run-n-gun all day tomorrow, beings we dont have any baseball on Wednesdays. So wish me luck at worst I should be able to get those jakes back in!

Hey Donbo looks like your next. Have you been out scouting? Looks like your May is going to be fairly busy.

Haven't done much scouting but we've got permission on 4 great farms that get very little pressure. One good friend and I have been hunting the same spots for years. Been a long time since we didn't fill out.

This first week is always the big one for me. We take the camper down and spend the full 5 days in the woods. The next week will be probably just the weekend. (Really busy at work right now) Think I'm gonna leave the camper and bring my wife that weekend.

My MN season will be mostly just before work. I do have permission on two new pieces of property that total 250 acres here in the metro zone that I'm pretty excited about.

Yes, my May will be busy. Gotta love it huh? Just hope there's room for some fishing in there somewhere. smile

Scott, How'd your hunt go???

Went out this morning and had 4 toms gobbling right outta the roost. 2 were to the west across the ravine and 2 were to the east across another ravine. Sat til 9 and got soaked to the bone so I decided to go home and get a dry set of camo. Went back at 9:30 and snuck up to where I thought the 2 to the west were and sure enough they were gobbling right across the ravine where I was sitting earlier,so I didnt call and snuck back to the truck and went up to where I originally was hoping I could sneek within a 100yds or so and get one to come in. Well I got back to the first spot and it was dead quite. By this time I'm pretty PO'd and tired! So I just sat by the tree waiting to hear something,about an hour later the 2 to the east gobbled on the hillside where they were in the morning so I clucked a few times and it sounded like they were getting closer because I couldnt see them but it sounded like it. Well there was a hen with them and I seen her come down the hill and go out of sight which I thought was good because she would maybe come straight up the hill right by me and the toms would follow. Nope didnt see anything of her after that and the 2 toms wouldnt leave the opposite hillside. Then it started raining again and its like someone hit the mute button,no gobbles for the rest of the time I was in the woods. Then 12:30 came and I had an appointment at 1:30 so I got outta there. Went back after baseball practice at about 5 and nothing was gobbling. Sorry guys,just wasnt my year I guess,best of luck to the rest,I'll be watching to see the results!!

Yeah, the weather was kinda rough on ya. Wait till next year. I'm sure they tell you in baseball, that since it's a team sport, when you have a bad day there's someone right there to pick you up. That'd be me. grin Not to worry, we're still gonna win this thing. smile

Donbo you must be getting excited now with a couple of days until your season starts. The weather doesn't look to bad for you, maybe a little rain. Im sure It will be nice and dry in your double bull blind. Good luck to ya, hopefully you stick one.

DonBo, looks like the weather for your hunt will be just what a turkey hunter would order gringrin. Some rain and then sun shine. Good luck, I hope you seal the deal on that big one. grin

Thanks guys, due to some issues here at work I will miss tomorrow morning, frown but will be there in the afternoon. I will stay till Sunday evening, or till the tag is full. wink

I'm gonna tote my bow for a few days. After that there's no mercy! My partner is going to be there by himself in the morning. It's killin me that I won't be there with him, but lickily he's not much of a hunter so I don't think he'll do much to thin the herd. grin

Well, I'm back. Depressed. Was a very tough hunt. The only real opportunity I had was when my partner Dave shot his on day 2. Four toms came into the decoys but stayed way behind them. I had my bow. Told Dave to shoot because it was too far for me. He dumped his and the other three stayed and kicked the snot out of him. If I would have been toteing the 870 we'd have been done right there. Saw way too many hens and had more pressure than I've ever seen.

Luckily I have two more tags and like they say, It aint over till the the fat lady sings.

Oh well! Looks like you will get another shot on Wednesday. You can admit it, that your saving your tag for a monster. So we can win this contest. Good Luck Wednesday. I get to have some fun myself on Friday or saturday. I have two patterned pretty good, hopefullly they don't get disturbed or move on.

Good luck Delzz. I'll probably only get out maybe one morning this week, then the weekend. It's my MN tag that has monster written all over it and that is still a week away yet.

Today was my last shot at a WS bird, 9 days of frustration.

I'm a very patient man and love nothing more than setting the decoys in a field and waiting in my pop-up blind. However, I am also a realist and the patience thing was just not cutting it, so this morning I went old school. I grabbed my vest, my gun and a couple calls and went after 'em.

I headed up a large heavily wooded draw that usually holds good numbers of birds. I sat down and waited for a tom to give away his location. There were actually several in the area. The closest seemed to be on the other side of the ridge I was on so I headed up and over. I set up about 100 yards from what sounded like 3 toms together. There was also one just north of me and another behind me somewhere. Well just like my luck, when they hit the ground they headed the other way. I wasn't going to call any more than necessary this morning but I did then. They seemed to be getting closer, but not much. After some time one gobbled-right in front of me! Maybe only 20-25 yds, just over the edge of a steep drop. So the gun came up and I waited, and waited. Nothing. Then I heard him drumming off to my right. (of coarse I'm right handed and he's on the wrong side of me) I finally saw his bright white head only 25-30 yards away. For what seemed like 10 minutes but was probably much less I watched him strut and gobble behind a pretty thick patch of brush. Finally he got behind a stump and I made my move to turn on him and got away with it. Moments later his head appeared in the middle of a basketball size opening and that was that. Success on day 9!!!

Not the biggest bird by a long shot, but one I am very proud of and a hunt I will remember for a long time.

18 lbs, 6 oz. 10" beard, 3/4" spurs. I'll have photos and my registration form up tomorrow.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Cograts Don!

You earned that one.

APA is bowhunting now, how's it going???

Anyone heard from eyehead? With a bird like that, I'd be chompin' to get him registered.