• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Milking

Does anyone know when fisheries starts milking on WFC? Or who to call? I'd like to show some family members and also prove to myself there are walleyes even though I can't catch them! smile

Thanks,

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• CrappieAttitude

• pegleg

• laker1

Don't know about brainerd but up by winnie it as soon as the ice is off under the bridge on 46 between cutfoot and little cutfoot, they are probably out their right now drilling holes in the ice and setting their piers for the nets.

They start around the tenth of the month most years. Call the Brainard dnr or Heaths resort they will know for sure.

Last year the first day was the 18th of April and it was a sight to be seen. Never seen so many pigs and pike to boot. I hope I can make it again this year but I may have some conflicts. There is not as much ice as last year so it may be closer to Easter weekend.

They get the trap set as soon as the ice goes, best time to go would be after the water warms a little and the fish get moving..

Thanks all! I will call the DNR on Monday if I remember and post what they say. We went last year, but it was the last day and there wasn't much there. But it was more eyes then I saw all year! smile

They trap the walleyes as they move up the pine river to spawn, then they hold them until they are perfectly ripe to take eggs and milt. And yes, it is quite a sight to see, never anywhere will you see more 10 and 12 pound walleyes, thick and fat and sooo healthy, if you can make the trip there, go for it.

Although the walleyes are the main attraction, if you don't hit the right weekends, it's still pretty cool to see some real nice sized pike and countless suckers. Still worth the trip over there.

Maybe Crappieattitude will chime in but he took a ton of pictures last year and posted them on FM. Maybe somebody can find it in archive. Way cool to see and will definetly get you thinking about open water.

mr

i also have a bunch of pics from last year...definatly a must see!! last year we saw 3 therns that were over 20 lbs with the biggest I bet was running around 25lbs just a slob!!! more walleyes then you can imagine and wow some of them were at least 12lbs then they get milked and must weigh 8lbs...lol

i also have a bunch of pics from last year...definatly a must see!! last year we saw 3 therns that were over 20 lbs with the biggest I bet was running around 25lbs just a slob!!! more walleyes then you can imagine and wow some of them were at least 12lbs then they get milked and must weigh 8lbs...lol

Actually the big fish are the females so it would be eggs and not sperm. smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I think there maybe an old post for this from last year if anyone knows where to look for it? It may have dates that people where giving reports then?

One of my Buddies works for the DNR and is there every day that they will be up there. I want to say the last time I talked to him they were aiming for the first part of April. I'll check to see when he predicts it will be in full swing. In the meantime, I will try and see If I can find those pictures from last year. I remember someone else had to post them for me cause I am not that computer savvy.

CA

the 19th of April last year was the first day of stripping the walleyes...they had the nets out a couple of days earlier but there were just suckers and therns in the nets the first few days.....if I remember correct the northerns and the suckers run first and then the walleye will run shortly after the suckers and the northern

snow melt will slow and delay run. a few years ago they had a female that would come back each year. they took length and girth and felt she would be well over the state record. believe it or not they have had people sneak in at night in the past and try to grab some fish. I believe now they have someone sleep there overnight, hope there armed. delta bay is pretty much open and thats when the run most years starts.

that would be a site to see. anyone know of somewhere closer to the cities that we can go watch? always been kinda interested in that.

I went in 2007. Here is the thread from that year with my pictures. There not the greatest, but they have some sorting shots.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1011882/1

I just recieved an e-mail from my buddy with the DNR. He said the recent snow set them back a little. They were going to start yesterday. Now they are looking at setting up the trap on the 6th or 8th, and wouldn't expect much for fish until at least the 15th."

I called today (finally remembered) and they said the same. The do milk on the weekends as well. Their number to call and check the status is 828-2550. How does one load pics? I can load mine from last year as well.

it sounds like they are going to start trapping tonight.....I will stop in there this weekend to see if they catch anything but they said they won't probably have to much untill closer to the middle of next week......

Is the best time of day to go watch in the afternoon or morning? I am thinking of going either this afternoon or tomorrow morning with my 86 year old father and nephew. We are all very interested to see this process.

mornings for sure. The piggy's move at night and are trapped in the big nets for the DNR to milk first thing in the morning but make sure you get there EARLY.

mr

pegleg- you probably won't c anything till wednesday (15th) or so before the walleyes start running up the river....right now you will probably c a net full of suckers and northerns. the best time is in the morning. I think last year it was around 9am that the DNR guys would come down and start the process of sorting and if they are ready they will start the milking proccess. It is quite the sight to see!!

there will not be much of a walleye run this weekend. Too cold. Also don't go up on a weekend if you can help it. Gets to be very crowded with a lot of people showing up.

Thanks Ozzie for the update but unfortunately I left here before I got your message. We went Saturday morning at 9 and saw a net full of suckers and 2 northerns. It was interesting anyway to see how they trap the fish in the Pine River and now I know where this place is located. Might go back the weekend of the 24th so hopefully it isn't too late to see the walleyes move through.