• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"fatty tumor"

island guy

My 9 year old lab has developed some fatty tumors on the top side of her rear haunch. One on each side of the spine. I've had her completely checked out. Good health otherwise and the tumors are completely benign. Seemed to have happened very fast the past couple months. It seems to cause her some discomfort. Especially after exercise or when rising after sleeping.

I give her a aspirin every morning before taking her out on her walk. seems to help.

Anyone have experience with this? I've never had it with any other dog. The vet said it isn't uncommon and their really isn't any treatment.

One of my shorthairs has the same thing. He probably has 8-10 all over his body. We had him checked out and the vet said they don't remove them unless they are causing discomfort for the dog because the cavity where the lump is, has a tendency to fill up with fluid if they are removed and I guess that creates other problems. My shorthair is 14 yrs old now and still kicking, so I guess they haven't affected his health too much. He started developing them when he was about 5 or so. I am no expert on these things by any means, but this has been my experience. Hope it helps.

Well, I can't really talk to Lipomas(fatty tumors) in dogs but I can in humans. They are common, are benign(non cancerous) and usually cause no problems. See them often and very few have caused any problems in my patients. In fact, most of us probably have them.

We has a springer that had a fatty tumor and had it removed that caused a lot of problem because the space filled with fluid and eventually the wound would not heal and he had to be put down. If it does not have to be removed don't do it.

My 11 year old Britt has many. Benign. Vet can remove them if dog is under for another procedure such as teeth cleaning, but I would not use this as the primary reason.

Well, I can't really talk to Lipomas(fatty tumors) in dogs but I can in humans. They are common, are benign(non cancerous) and usually cause no problems. See them often and very few have caused any problems in my patients. In fact, most of us probably have them.
must be what i have around my mid section. crygrinwink seriously though my 12 year old lab has them also, vet says samething, no need to remove them.

Funny, I just had one removed from the chest of my dog. She has a good 8-10 more, but this one was different. It was actually on the outside of the skin and we didn't notice till she got here hair cut last week. I picked her up from the vet 10 min. ago and she is good to go. The bill was a little bit pricey, but to know it was benign is worth every penny. I do not plan to have any of the others removed as they do not seem to bother her and our vet is not concerned.