• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Curious on whether the water levels have come up from last year with all the snow. Can someone share info on how the levels are and how the ramps are looking?

Thanks!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deitz Dittrich

• JBMasterAngler

• LwnmwnMan2

• NCLaker

Low, you can't get through the channel between South and North Center. About 1 foot of water in the channel. Lot of dead sunfish at the access on South Center. You could launch there, but I wasn't sure about getting the boat back on the trailer. North access was fine.

Checked out Green,Chisago,North&South Center yesterday. Water levels worse then last spring.

what is going on with these lakes and these water levels. With all the snow we had i thought they would be up at least a little bit.

we really didnt get that much snow... And we got little if no rain last fall.. Every storm seemed to part and go around the NE metro here. To be real honest, the St. Croix is not as high as it normally is either..

All winter you could drive anywhere you wanted on the lakes.. there just wasnt he snow.. we never got blasted with our normal 'March Madness" snow storm.. we need the rain bad!!!

Though a rouge snow drift did sneak up and grab me one day. wink

Thanks again Deeds.

wow i cant believe the water levels are still that low in the chisago area. Ive been up to rush a few times they have both docks out up there and the water level is up about 6 inches from usual. i guess this should make for an interesting year.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been out there yet?

I've got an 18' boat, bunker trailer.

Last year was a bit tough and it looks like the water is lower yet this year.

Figured after this weekend I might have time to get the boat out and get things going this summer, need to know where I can go to make sure everything is working good.

I drove out to the landing this morning on my way to work.. Some guy was able to launch an 18' Pro-V W/150. Had a roller trailer though.. there were a few boats out there, so its dooable. but none had bunk trailers.. so I dont know...

On a side note, saw the DNR elecroshock boat putting in late last evening.. Would be fun to know the numbers they got?

On a side note, saw the DNR elecroshock boat putting in late last evening.. Would be fun to know the numbers they got?

They are slow to publish those numbers, but you can try emailing them and they'll do their best to give you the numbers. Interesting time to electroshock though. Usually that's done to count YotY survival in the fall (as large fish usually can't be sampled by the shocking method).

I drove out to the landing this morning on my way to work.. Some guy was able to launch an 18' Pro-V W/150. Had a roller trailer though.. there were a few boats out there, so its dooable. but none had bunk trailers.. so I dont know...

That's fine, I always power load with the bunk trailer anyways.

That's fine, I always power load with the bunk trailer anyways.

Please do NOT power load your boat at these shallow landings. That is what wrecked the North Center landing. Manually crank your boat onto your bunks (make sure they are wet first, makes it easier).

People "Power loading" to get up on their bunks, creates a big hole and a gravel berm on the other side of it from the blow out from the prop. After a while it will be unusable for people with longer trailers and other will wreck their props if they don't see the berm.

Last year I had to literally walk my boat over the berm to get over it I could put my boat on to the trailer which was sitting in the deep hole between the berm and the landing. I could not motor over it.

This is why you see landing with signs saying "NO POWER LOADING".

I know I know... I just wanted to see how long it took someone to make a comment.

I'm surprised it took this long.... I figured I'd have 15 people on me within an hour.

I knew we had the right guy teaching our kid. wink

I'll even send another one your direction next fall!

I know I know... I just wanted to see how long it took someone to make a comment.

I'm surprised it took this long.... I figured I'd have 15 people on me within an hour.

Okay you got me wink

Bit hard on that one ... sounds like you enjoyed the headshake on that hookset laugh

I found a great product for those of us with bunk trailers and boats that are too heavy to winch onto the trailer. Its called liqid rollers and is basically a spray on bunk lubricant. My Ranger used to "stick" just short of the bow roller forcing me to power it the rest of the way. Sinking the bunks further in order to float it on just isn't possible on alot of ramps these days. I tried the lubricant and it solved all my problems. Now I can either winch it on or else apply just a little throttle to drive it all the way on. Only issue is that you need to stay connected to the winch when backing down the ramp to avoid dumping your boat on the ramp. Found it at Bass Pro for about $10. One application lasts several weeks.

I've got an 18' Tracker, aluminum. It's not a big deal to winch.

One of the reasons I didn't want to go to fiberglass.

How has the fishing for walleyes and crappies been on S. Center Lake? Coming up this weekend and would like to get into a few. Where can the walleyes and crappies be found this time of year?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the water levels are on South Center. I would like to get out there but last year I was not even close to being able to get my boat in because of the low water I also heard that the channel was too shallow for boat traffic from North center. Any info would be great.

Thanks

1850 Sportfish,

take last years levels and go about 2 feet lower. In addition DNR was going to do something with the access to improve things and I don't have any idea if they have done those. The whole area around Chisago is exceptionally low right now.You will definitely not be able to get through the channel either. Maybe Deitz can come in on this as he has a better grasp of whats going on on a day to day basis.

Channel is closed - not boats unless you have a kayak. Also hearing about the shallow ramps ... If you have roller bunks you might be okay.

with all the rain we have had the lake has come up about 3" in my opinion... So., I figure maybe only about another foot to go to get to last year... South Center ramp left side is completely useless. You could not launch a canoe or a belly boat at it even.. The right side, smaller boats, roller trailers are probably good.. but make sure you are trimmed up so that you do not eat your prop on the back of the landing. Its low, be sure you are familiar with where the shallow spots are, pretty easy to take out a lower unit.

well, just to say I did it.. I launched at South Center today.. it wasnt easy. But I got the 20' Bass boat off the trailer. .drove around the lake. Almost makes a guy sad.. where did all the water go? Fishing wasnt so grand either.. Managed 7 bass, with most being around 2.5lbs.. one was pushing 3.. and also caught 8 walleye.. but were pretty small.. maybe 2 were keepers.. but put them back.

well, just to say I did it.. I launched at South Center today.. it wasnt easy. But I got the 20' Bass boat off the trailer. .drove around the lake. Almost makes a guy sad.. where did all the water go? Fishing wasnt so grand either.. Managed 7 bass, with most being around 2.5lbs.. one was pushing 3.. and also caught 8 walleye.. but were pretty small.. maybe 2 were keepers.. but put them back.

The wife and I were looking at N. Center the other day driving by, while mowing, seeing all the weeds and low water.

Is the lake even fishable?

LawnMan - except for some high traffic areas, the south end of North Center is being taken over by Eurasian Milfoil. Pretty depressing - The curly leaf is bad enough but at least it was/is pretty much gone by the July 4th - but not this stuff!

Milfoil is working its way to the north end of the lake.

2-3 years ago I could fish crankbaits off my dock with no problem, now the only decent option from my dock is topwater frogs mad

Even when the water levels return, I am pretty sure the milfoil will be around to stay frown

Sorry to take off topic - but the shallow water levels coincided with the explosion of Milfoil population.

That's what I was talking about. Driving up Cty Rd 9, towards the courthouse, it barely looks like the lake is going to be passable eventually.