• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

anyone know if the commercial fishermen are commin back?

ive heard rumers that they were comming back but seems like they only got a week or two to pull again.. heres some pics from the last time!! 100_1640.jpg100_1636.jpg100_1634.jpg

Wow, that is interesting. Out of curiosity i would like to know more information. What lake was that on where are they from and what do they use the carp for, fish sticks?

it was on my home lake, schoolgrove they only pulled 50 acres and the lake is a good 350..they pulled out a ton of black and white crappies, 8lb walleye, few good perch, few good catfish, bullheads, big mouth buffalo, suckers, and regualar carp.. they threw all the game fish back... im not sure what they are used for but they sell them to people out east, i guess they are a delicasy or somthing.. they are from mankato not sure about the name but it had bass in it..

Don't order fish sticks out east grin

I have heard that also that the sell them to a place out east.

My local lakes get netted quite a lot. It's pretty cool to go down and watch. All the game fish get tossed back right away. Buffalo, carp, and bullheads are what they're after.

The guys who do the netting in my area sell to the fish markets in Chicago.

I believe they are used for dog and cat food. Although now that you mention that they are sent east, I wonder if some of the carp are made into gefilte fish, a Jewish delicacy.

Take a look at this;

http://people.whitman.edu/~hashimiy/carp.htm

This is how it starts.

Quote:
The carp is, as Izaak Walton reminds us, the queen of fish--and worth thinking about.

Take a look at this;

http://people.whitman.edu/~hashimiy/carp.htm

This is how it starts.

ya eating carp doesn't sound apealing to me. Fun to catch. Carp can really put up a fight.

People "really" eat them? Don't know about anyone else but I'm not going to find out if they taste good or not. sick

Smoked carp is really good, especially from cold water in spring or fall. I think in alot of Asian cultures carp is a major staple for eating fish.

Thanks for the pictures Broken_line!

Im from the currie area and I know the one who do it in that area ship some to NY. Like riverrat said alot of the Asian cultures eat that stuff up..ish

Ic, I fished school grove once this winter. Thats pretty interesting, how do they drag the nets under the ice?

riverrat56, I agree with you! Smoked Carp is every bit as good as Smoked Salmon. A good experienced smoker is the key, I had an uncle that could smoke carp so good that you could lose a whole weekend living on just his smoked carp and a beer or two. You probably don't remember Schnobricks Meat Market, but they'd sell smoked carp fresh from the smoker on Saturday morning, and if you weren't there early, you went without! It sold out quick, sometimes by NOON!! Phred52

ac777 did you get anything?? i might have talked to you. what color house did you have?? mine were the crappy white ones in the middle of no where.. they used thoese winch things and weaved the rope under the ice with a long 1x4 then hooked up the net..

ac777 did you get anything?? i might have talked to you. what color house did you have?? mine were the crappy white ones in the middle of no where.. they used thoese winch things and weaved the rope under the ice with a long 1x4 then hooked up the net..

IC, I didn't talk to anyone on that lake. It was around the end of Feb that I was out there. We didn't catch anything, just had a bite or 2 would like to fish it again sometime. Have you been fishing there all winter?

yep since november..i got a ton of small walleyes untill the end of januray then i got 2 15" eyes, 15 keeper crappies and bout 10 small crappies and perch. this srping is gonna be a hoot when the walleyes and crappies spawn along with awsome bowfishing!

Good Info Broken-Line! fished School Grove once this year got zero, caught a nice 16inch eye out ther a coulple years ago though!

I am totally for lakes getting seined down in these parts! Wish they would do more of it, Mcdonalds should sign a contract! They play that darn commercial every hour on tv about their fish fillet sandwich!

I was watching the Food Channel one night and they were at a place in NE that served carp. Carp and catfish were their main sellers and specialty! Everyone down there talked about how good the carp was. I guess if cooked right it might not be to bad, just don't know if I could bring myself to eating it!

Boilerguy. Do they still net oaks lake by talcot ? have you fished oaks at all this winter?

Yes and yes.

I don't know what kind of haul came out of oaks as far as carp and bullalo goes.

I fished Oaks 3 times this winter. Small perch, but a lot of them. It somewhat made me think of Timber lake. If the lake can survive a couple of winters it could be a real dandy.