• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe Mauer a lot of little problems

Dahitman44

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• jwmiller33

• Coach1310

• harvey lee

MLB rankings 2008

runs 28th

hits 30th

hr 191st

rbi 57th

obp 49th

slugging 200th

end of argument

So that gives him and the Twins the right to not take the begginning of the season seriously. I wish I had a job and get paid millions to play in the off season then when it comes time to work claim workers comp, so to speak.

Sure they can do whatever they want but jees they could at least try to make a better effort showing they are not taking the public, who pays there gluninist salery, for a ride.

I dont agree with this either. If he needs surgery or what ever it should have been done by now. It kind of reminds me of the whole Gaborik thing where he knew he had a problem but waited and ended up playing six games on the season.

I dont agree with someone saying that he overated tho

MLB rankings 2008

runs 28th

hits 30th

hr 191st

rbi 57th

obp 49th

slugging 200th

end of argument

mauer was 6th in obp in MLB

end of credibility

MLB rankings 2008

runs 28th

hits 30th

hr 191st

rbi 57th

obp 49th

slugging 200th

end of argument

I didnt know you could compare some his stats to guys who only had 1 ab all season. Those guys shattered the old records for obp and avg with 1000. Wow, im surprised i didnt see that on espn that somebody hit 1000 for the season.

Next time you try to post stats get them right, instead making it look better for you argument.

Ill fix one for, who knows about the rest

MLb ranking OBP-6th

Wow we boys and girls, some of you need to take a chill pill. I guess to make everyone happy, all nine starters must hit over 300 and hit 30+ dingers and have over 100 rbi's per year. Would that please everyone, and if so GOOD LUCK to ya.

He is 1 of the top catchers in the league. Who else would you like back there besides Joe.

G.C

I agree. he has had durability issues but even so, catcher is one of the hardest positions to play game in and game out, they deserve some rest. he's a hometown guy and GOOD off-field minded one at that. He is the best all-around catcher in the league. I'll take on base percentage over 30 home runs in a year.

Walleyeslayr your full of it.

they deserve some rest. he's a hometown guy and GOOD off-field minded one at that. He is the best all-around catcher in the league.

I will agree that he is the best all around catcher in the league, no doubt. However, what gets me is the fans that say the same dribble coming out as here, "oh hes a home town guy, gosh, we love him so much".... yuck. What the he double hockey sticks does that have to do with anything? Are you getting any of his exorbinate salary? I know I'm not. Whether he could have done anything earlier I dont know but I'm going to take the position that he probably could and will not suck **** to make excuses for him mad Get in the lineup and perform.

I agree with ya The Donk, being a home town boy is not a big deal, and certainly has nothing to do with it.

Not to many hometown boys play with their hometown team I guess.

Like said b-4 it is a tough position and it will wear on you after a while. I don't think there is going to be an issue this year. He will be ready to rock and roll when the season starts.

G.C.

I have alot of respect for all catchers, crouching and kneeling like that for several hours a day, then be expected to spring up in a split second. If I kneel for 1 minute I have a hard time getting up, and I am really not that old. As for Joe, there isnt another catcher out there that I would want on my team. He has a great attitude, loves the game, and the pitcures feel comfortable to throw a curve/slider with a guy on third 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth, up by 1 run. What more do you want from a catcher?

how much a year does he make compared to A-rod, or Manny, or any of the other d a m n yankees. Not near what they do. The "exoberant" salary is yeah, way higher than what we make but not near the average for a player of his calibur. Yeah i can see the wah wah of hometown boy but i'd much rather have that than a steriod popping terrel owens attitude punk playing instead.

MLB rankings 2008

runs 28th

hits 30th

hr 191st

rbi 57th

obp 49th

slugging 200th

end of argument

MN Twin catcher 1st

99% of all MLB teams catcher 1st

Is he dating your ex or mom? What is your hatered toward him. If winning a batting title and one of the best defensive players makes him overrated then yes he is overrated.

I'm getting my popcorn and soda right now. I want to watch this. You're messing with Minnesotas golden boy. I've got no opinion. Just gonna watch. smile

LOL Koonie then this is for you- I'll admit, I have no idea what's wrong with Mauer behind on my news I guess, so if this is a fluke thing or what, but he does seem a little brittle and don't want to call him soft, cause I couldn't do what he does, but any injury to him it seems to take double the time for him to heal from then the average player.

Mauer stopped drills today. Discomfort still from the surgery. He's getting an MRI

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Mauer does seem to have nagging injuries and be a slow healer so people get frustrated and want him in the lineup. I think it has been shown that he is 2nd to none offensively in today's game at his position.

He is also a lot more durable than what people give him credit for. He played catcher in 139 games last year. 4th most in the majors. No one played more than 149 at that position. He played in 146 games total. Only 73 players played in more games than he did in all of baseball. Some of those even played that very rugged position of DH. Not bad for the most demanding position in the game.

He is the first catcher to ever win a AL batting title and the first catcher in either league since 1942.

For those of you complaining about his salary, I believe he is making somewhere around $6.5 million. A obscene amount of money for sure when compared to us regular stiffs but only 151st highest last year. I would say considering the market, he is a bargain.

Out of curiosity, who is it some of you would rather see behind the plate for the Twins?

Joe Maur end of discussion

Jeez youd think there is some whitesox fans on here.

Go Twinks

He's the Kevin Garnet of baseball. Who cares? A bunch of nearly meaningless SINGLES! Nine homers and 60 RBI's average over 5 years. He's the most OVERRATED player in the bigs.

Are you related to PierBridge? Thats just plain Nuts my friend.... grin

hole4b10bc.png

He's the Kevin Garnet of baseball. Who cares? A bunch of nearly meaningless SINGLES! Nine homers and 60 RBI's average over 5 years. He's the most OVERRATED player in the bigs.

Are you related to PierBridge?..... Thats just plain nuts my friend!... grin

hole532b13.png

Meaningless singles? Seriously man,have you ever played baseball? Just one single can be the difference between a lost and won ball game. How many times did he score after one of his "meaningless singles"? And overrated? Please,A-Rod,Jeter,Manny-they are the overrated ones! Always begging for more money and they are all over the sport news shows!!!!! You go out there and try to catch for a whole season and do better than Joe and tell me what it's like. I started catching when I was 10 and had to quit when I was 16 because my knees hurt to bad and the cartilidge(sp) was starting to wear away. He's got one of the hardest positions to play and IMO he does AWESOME at his job. So lets all just leave the man alone.

Quoting Deano now: "everybody hates somebody sometime...."

All I know is that years ago the team on the NSide of Chi-town had a batting champ....Bill Madlock...and I never forgave them for letting him go. Shoulda built around him, unless he's asking for Manny-money, instead of letting him go. But it is a different moneygame these days and players are more mobile with free agency.

A new argument? Good pitching stops good hitting.

I think we do have the best catcher in the majors, but I also think it is time we need to start shopping around for another one. Redmonds batting an excellent .095 this preseason, and won't be able to handle everyday duties behind the plate. We need someone that can go 125-140 games this season in case Joe can't. One that comes to my mind is John Buck from the Royals. He is somewhat young, rarely hurt, has occasional pop when he hits and is no longer the Royals #1 catcher. Could get a decent deal if we traded for him.

Zamboni,

Preseason statistics mean nothing, unless you are battling for a roster spot. Sure it would be nice to hit .300 but the stats get erased in 27 days. Red dog has an .091 batting average in a total of 11 at bats. Does that mean the Twins should release him? Absolutely not!!! Look at Red dog's batting average last year and over his career. He hit .287 in 38 games last year and he did a fine job of filling in for Mauer. In 2007 he hit .294 in 84 games. There aren't too many back up catchers that I would rather have than Red Dog.

If I remember right, we made it to the playoffs with Henry Blanco as are starting catcher back in 2004 when Mauer went down. I think he barely hit over .200 in over a 100 games, but he was a top notch defensive catcher.

Hey Walleyeslayer,

What are you on? I gotta try some of that! Really, Mauer is over rated? Have you ever watched a game of baseball?

Never said get rid of Redmond, but he will be the very first person to tell you, anything over 50 games at his age is probably not gonna happen. If Joe misses a ton of time, we are going to need to get a guy that is able to squat 100+ games. Redmonds one of the best back up catchers out there, ton of experience, especially handling a young squad, but not an everyday catcher

We have Wilson Ramos a very promising young Catcher. We're quite deep at the catcher position from the looks of it!

there ya go koonie, that will provide some reading material for ya I suppose...

smile

Most over rated player in the last 5 to 10 years- Derek Jeter!

Mauer is one of the few hometown players I like staying home. He's a stud and is getting better (That's right! Better!) each year. The power numbers will come up over the course of his career. I'm not to worried about that. The injuries concern me but it's a brutal position especially for a tall player like him. Just hope the little injuries don't add up and break him down.

Hate the sideburns though. If you're gonna go that route go for the porkchops baby!

I'll take him behind the plate anyday, my point was if the guy gets a cold he needs to weeks to recover from it.