• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

80 Acres in Ottertail county. Land has been in the family since 1984 and 21 bucks and 1 doe have been harvested here in 19 seasons of the land being hunted with many bucks and does being passed on. I hunt the land myself and some years have let someone hunt it after I tagged a buck. There was a 7 year stretch where no one hunted it. November 9th, Sunday I took a 3 1/2 year old 14pt. buck at 8:01 AM. I have 1 perm. stand and 1 ladder stand for a change of scenery. This land could hold 4 quality stand sights. There is also possible waterfowl to hunt and grouse as well. There is a major herd of deer wintering there at this time. Shooting lanes are cut to date for both stands. This is major big buck country, ask any landowners in this large 2 mile by 3 mile section and they will confirm this is every year trophy buck territory. Many do not want me to sell because of QDM and they worry more hunters other than just me will get the chance now. I have many other parcels of land to hunt. My dad willed this land to me and then I bought it for dirt cheap from him as he lost his job. Go walk this property and look for sheds or check the property lines, count tree rubs and check the stands. From the road it is difficult to see the popple and birch/ash/balsam fir highground where all of these bucks were taken. I will take you on a tour of it if you wish any weekend. The land is the 80 acres south of New York Mills on the St. Lawrence church road, it is about 2 miles south and a hair west of NYM on the north side of the highway, the land lies in the middle of the swamp and the approach is about 200 yards east of the creek which runs through this property as well. Check it out ! I'll be a sad puppy to see it go, took my 1st ever deer in 1983 off of it and muzzleloading can be great in there. Also, 2 weeks of T-Cam and I had a dozen different bucks coming to 1 ground scrape, pictures available from me or my realtor, thanks.

I don't know you muskybuck, but I know this exact area and it is big buck country indeed. I would love to be able to have an 80 in this area. This is in a great area, not far from Ottertail and many other prime areas!

good luck on selling it: I don't know what you are asking but it will be a great piece of property for someone!

Is this really what some other land is going for per acre up there??? It was a nice dream for about 3.5 minutes while looking it up though frown

Most land around here is going for 2000-2500 an acre for decent land: The price on this chunck seems very reasonable for 80 acres of hunting land in this area.

DLoutdoors, I appreciate the vote of confidence and this is no joke. I will cry when it sells, most of my deer hunting memories took place there like that 1st deer and biggest buck which dressed out at 241 pounds, got 2nd in a big buck contest with that guy. Realize at 140,000 listing, that certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't take less. But, to me this land is well worth it. I have taken 16 bucks and 1 doe in 19 years of trying and have seen bucks every year I have hunted it, just a few of those years not a shooter in my book. And most years I had just the 2 day season to hunt it. There are zero deer from April to August on it, then once about bow season starts then they start coming and stay through the spring thaw. I was floored to put my T-cam out on October 19th, just bought it, barely knew how to use it. Found 1 groundscrape, put the camera on it, and had 12 different bucks in a 2 week stretch on it with 4 being shootable and of course 1 absolute giant, I hunted opening day elsewhere why I don't know, but Sunday took the 2nd best buck on the camera. I'm guessing about 50 deer or so are wintering there and many more in the immediate area as I type, usually can find a shed or 2. Years ago where the creek has 3 wide spots in it, go to Gorescompany.com to view the overhead of it, otherwise e-mail an agent and they have the overhead, my best t-cam photos and a bunch of pictures of the bucks I took there, I did not give him any false info or pictures of bucks I've taken on my other parcels,taken 21 bucks now and 16 of them were on this property,my dad has taken 2 dandies, my dad's best friend 2 nice ones, and a kid that needed a spot one year and he dropped a nice 8.The Creek used to be full of greenheads and woodies, if you could dredge the creek a little wider at the beginning someone could have an extremely secluded duck spot not knowing how many birds are using it recently, but I have heard geese roosting there often and man from my stand those honkers sure sound close, everything just echo's in that swamp. There are some ruffed grouse too. I just have always left it alone for rifle hunting, to keep the deer in there as comfortable as possible. It is the type of area where that big buck can show up at noon and it wouldn't surprise me. I've seen bucks at all hours out there and have taken them during midday hours. I rarely get to Musket hunt because I generally have a buck down each year before then, I let my cousin hunt it one day this musket season and he saw a buck at close range and claimed the trails had a lot of track on them and there were a lot of rubs in the area. The e-mail I check most often is [email protected]. But, I can only check it after 3:30 daily. I could forward the T-Cam photo's to you, I don't have my buck photo's on this computer. To me this land is worth a million, it's basically I have unforeseen and unwanted expenses that have come to light. I would be happy to share what I know about going about hunting it, there are some theories and strategies that have really helped sway the odds in my favor come rifle season that an unfamiliar hunter to the land could struggle with. The question really is.... Do you really want land that can produce trophy caliber bucks yearly ? Will you get him I can't say, will you be in a tremendous buck area, no doubt. Just take a drive all the way around this land and the sections and you'll see what potential it can hold. Heck in 2005 the state record non-typical was shot in this swamp and certainly might have toured this property often and I am aware of some other boone and crockett bucks taken in this swamp. The genetics and food sources and rich nutritous soil are all here. If you are going to drive in this blizzardy mess today be careful and take care. MB

Going down memory lane I don't want to sell it anymore. I will, but don't want to. I'm not sure what township it is in, it is 2 miles south of New York Mills. Hopefully it sells November 9th so I can have opening weekend out there.:) I've often wondered what bow hunting might be like out there since no one that I'm aware of anyway has ever bow hunted it. Hmmm.

musky buck

sounds like some sweet land would you be interested in leasing it out, im just interested in bow hunting, if it helps you out on payments, then you would still get to hunt there and it would help you out.

MJ Catfish, no turkeys, haven't figured out why but in that area I haven't seen wild turkeys yet, I did notice some a few miles south of there but in that section which is about 2 miles by 2 miles roughly I haven't seen them. At my homestead area I have herds of them, have seen 78 turkeys in my yard pecking the birdseed. There's grouse,ducks,geese and deer. If whoever buys my land if they are a turkey hunter I could offer the person to come hunt my other land that has turkeys galore.

The grouse, ducks, geese, deer is on the land I have for sale. I thought about leasing it out, pending a possible sale of that land.

I do need to clarify 1 thing. The 14 pointer I got this year is my 15th buck I shot on that land, not my 16th, I went and counted the racks, sorry. My dad has taken 2 there since we owned the land and other bucks prior to him buying it in 1984. This is why my dad's friend was able to hunt it every once in awhile. Dad's friend took 2 dandy bucks there and a kid 1 nice buck mainly because I tried opening day at a different spot trying to score on a monster that my neighbor farmer let me try to hunt. The only doehead we took there was in 1983, my 1st year of deer hunting when zone 4 was bucks only Sat.,Sun.,Mon., and the 2nd weekend was 2 days lottery doe permit or buck. This land is rifle land so it's north of the shotgun zone. It is in the 5 deer area and it is south of the October early doe season area so that season is not open here, north of HWY 10 is the early doe. This land is south of HWY 10. Taxes are low, very low which is nice. When you check to see what I paid for it remember my father willed it to me until he lost his job, that's when he said I'll sell it to you for this amount otherwise it has to go on the market. I love the land because you feel like you're a million miles away from civilization and also staying put all day is a great way to score on a big boy. Why don't I plug any does mainly because at least every other doe I see in there has a buck with her, the past 5 years thinking back every doe that comes by has a buck or multiple bucks on her trail. Fawns seem to avoid it because bucks dominate the area. My T-Cam had a dozen bucks, 2 does and 1 fawn in a 2 week period before rifle season. Want those T-cam buck photo's ? E-mail me and I'll send them to you. 1 T-Cam for 2 weeks and about a dozen different bucks, makes me wonder what else might have been sneaking around out there. Time to fly. Going shed hunting in there this weekend if the last snow is gone! smile

1 last key thing about this land is it lies in the middle of the area, section, meaning guess where a lot of deer head once the pressure around the swamp kicks in gear, you got it. Talking boundaries, to the south is cty rd. 14 which is a black top, to the west is the creek/wet area so no one can cut you off that direction, to the north and east that land is owned by the same guy. One thing I like about it is they tend to make drives north and east of this 80 which often times brings more deer past me and they then seem to take up residence on this 80. Another neat thing is deer winter every year in there and it makes shed hunting enjoyable. It is also easy in the winter pending how much snow but to get a 4 wheeler/snowmobile back to the stands for materials/fixing stands cutting wood etc. Been some talk on a later rifle season opening day.....if so, this land would only be better as things freeze up, even more deer from surrounding areas move in. 1 Thing I have noticed to is not many does during rifle season, but during muzzleloader season once the does are bred and the bucks settle down the rut some, the does seem to be in there more during the few musket seasons I have hunted in there which tells me buck only during rifle, then musket season take a doe. The for sale sign for this land is down, buried by a snow plow this winter so if you are trying to find it take county road 14 down the hill and look for the approach on the north side of the road about 100 yards east of the creek that goes under the road. Or google earth and New York Mills follow the highway south out of Mills and take the curve to the west and follow it to cty rd 14, continue west and find the creek on the north side and you actually can see my trail that heads back into the stand(s) area.

I'm sure Pheasants Forever would be interested in the property. But then it would be open to the public....

Sorry, but no pheasants here, I can hear them cackling on crisp calm mornings in the distance, it would make a very nice WPA. It has a narrow creek with 2 or 3 wide spots in it where the ducks stay and the past few seasons in October/Early November often times geese roost there overnight because it is so close to the New York Mills Lagoon(sewage oxidation ponds) which is sort of a refuge for ducks and geese, about 1/2 to a mile away within the same swamp.

Final thought, I'm a skeptical guy, when things sound to good to be true they usually are. That is why I want a prospective buyer to come and walk the land and see the wintering herd and see the dozens of tree rubs and some of the large tree rubs that are hard to believe a deer made them. Once back to my stands, you would believe that this is good buck country. It's nice to have land I have done nothing to and it still year after year has quality bucks on it. In this area you will find no land for sale because no one wants to give up the great deer hunting they have. Most in the area are busy paying off what they have. Lucky for me I have other land and a neighbor who lets me hunt his 320 acre farm by myself, which is closer to where I live and it's easier to scout when you live next door and his farm has a few mature bucks to hunt every year as well. That is why I took 7 years off, because I bagged a buck on the neighbors farm those years and tried this years opening day there with no luck and not much big buck sign, so back to Mills Sunday morning planning to sit all day until that 14Pt. came along and happily ended my deer season for me. I'll be in there this weekend so if you want a look find my truck on the approach or go walk it any time, this is your permission, no problem. I'm getting my T-Cam and looking for sheds, hope we don't get any new snow. M.B

PF is a HABITAT ORGANIZATION. If it is good habitat it does not matter if it has pheasants or not.

I think, MN Deerhunters Assn. buys land for WMA's also.

Look at PF's website and you'll find Erin Sandquist is the regional rep for your area. Direct: (320) 236 7755

Cell: (763) 242 1273 It's worth a call...

We shall see, I'll look into that, thanks for the update, I could envision about 50 guys sitting in my main stand on a future opening day.

Got the T-Cam Feb.22nd-March7th- 275 deer photo's. Roughly 8 bucks with racks. A few nice bucks, no wonder I can't find a shed in there, but it appears they have started. Finished cutting the shooting lanes for next fall. Want the pics ? Waiting on my buddy in NYM to forward them my way, we downloaded on his computer.

Tried to match the bucks on the cam now to the ones in Oct/Nov. I found none that matched so in a 4 week period, got roughly 23 different bucks on camera, that kinda astounded me. Drove around that section on Saturday night and counted roughly 125 deer out in the fields.

Musky Buck I would be more than happy to post any pics have. You can send them to cakrullatyahoodotcom I'll get them up asap.

Thanks, there are 5 or 6 email pages full, would appreciate if you would pull the buck photos and post them, much appreciated. Wish I would've left the T-Cam out there, thanks again.

I tried again Perch, thanks a million, I sent my fall buck pics from about the same Tcam location as last weeks, that's a lot of different bucks traveling through that 80 acres. I'd guess easily 20 different ones in 2 week period in fall and now 2 week period in feb/march. quick ? Am I getting billed to the high heavens, do they do automatic deduction from your C.C. every 5 days. I couldn't open some of my paypal stuff because our server is all messed up. If i want to stop the advertisement, is there another way ? Any help would be appreciated. This snow is burying the antlers, although look at my t-cam pics and most haven't shed yet. Thanks again Perch, MB

Im not 100% sure how the billing for the add works you would have to use the contact us button and ask admin to get a definite answer on that. I'll go check my email right now and i'll try to get your pics posted either this afternoon or tonight.

There were alot of pics to go through which really shows the density of the deer population in the area and there were so many pics with several mature does and yearling bucks that show the true potential of the property and represents the strength of the deer herd in the area.