• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Directions to Bayport St Croix Ice Access

SteveD

One of the common questions asked on the forum is how to access the St Croix at Bayport. I took a few photos of the access point to help with the written directions. Here goes:

On the south end of Bayport on Highway 95 you will see the entrance to 5th Avenue South on the east side of the road. There is a Bayport sign on a limestone rock and a large sign for Clyde's. Here is the photo:

Clydes2.jpg

Turn east onto 5th Avenue South but don't enter the marina but instead stay to the left and travel down 5th Avenue South to the T intersection with 3rd Street South. Here is the photo:

3rdStreetSouth.jpg

You will need to take a right turn on 3rd Street South and cross over the railroad tracks. Note the Dead End sign with the smaller "Road Open to River" sign under it. Here is the photo:

RailroadTracks.jpg

This road will take you to the St Croix River. Be Careful - it is a narrow, well rutted road that gets worse as the weather warms. This is the only road on the MN side of the river that gives drive on access to the river and it gets a lot of traffic. Go slow - watch for traffic and try to give as much room as possible to vehicles towing trailers and fish houses. Be advised - there is No Parking anywhere on the side of this road. If you want to pull off go all the way to the river and then drive out on the ice and pull off. Don't stop on the road and try to park. Here are some photos of the road to the river:

RiverRoad1.jpg

RiverRoad2.jpg

MNRiverEntranceRoad.jpg

Once you get on the ice you will see a road heading directly across the river. That is the ice road to Ferry Landing in Hudson which is the St Croix access point from Hudson, Wisconsin. Here is the photo:

IceRoadtoFerryLanding.jpg

You will see another ice road turning to the left and heading north. This is the ice road to ShantyTown and up river to the High Lines across from the Excel Energy Allen S. King Plant. Here is the Photo of ShantyTown:

ShantyTown.jpg

If you plan on heading north of ShantyTown up to the High Lines you want to stay on the Wisconsin side of the river. Be advised that there is open water directly across from the Excel Energy Plant from their warm water discharge. Stay to the Wisconsin shore on the ice road and you are OK. If you do not pay attention and just start driving north you could find yourself driving right into open water. Be Careful. My advice is to scout during the day and familarize yourself with the area before trying to drive north to the High Lines at night or in the fog during warm weather days.

One other thing for those not familiar with Andersen Bay. This year Andersen Windows has a warm water discharge into the north end of the bay. That has created open water and thin ice in the north end of the bay. I used to fish up in there and so did other people. This year there is thin ice and it is dangerous up in the bay. The ice is precarious from about the Andersen Boat Launch access point all the way up into the north end. Andersen's also has a bubbler going under their boat dock and this is also keeping the ice thin. Be careful if you go up into the north 1/3 of the bay.

Expect a lot of vehicle traffic on the St Croix. Read some of the fishing reports especially those by Turk. My experience is on a very busy day it pays to get away from the crowds. It gets crazy out there with cars, trucks, ATVs, snowmobiles, and even the occasional airplane. Good luck - Be safe.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Great post SteveD, that should keep the people new to the river on the right roads and out of trouble.

• 9 months later...

Bump it back to the top of the page. Hard to believe the 2009/2010 ice season is already here. Let the ice fishing begin - Be careful on the early season ice everybody.

Maybe one of the St Croix Administrators could sticky this post to the top of the St Croix forum.

I printed these directions off last winter and went on the river for the first time, I really liked it thanks for posting.

Does anybody know how to access bayport/shantytown from the WI side?

Hwy 35 north side of North Hudson, turn towards the river at the big gas station (the only one). Take a right at the "T", takes you right down there.

• 3 weeks later...

On the MN side, the only off-ice parking is north a few blocks at the Bayport Beach.

On the WI side there is a park with some parking on top of the hill just up from the landing.

• 11 months later...

Hey Thanks, I was just about to post a question on how to access the river. Thanks for your work, I greatly appreciate it.Your pitcures will help a lot. I want to try white bass ice fishing because I do a lot in the summer. I think it will be exciting on ice.

Just be aware that this access is ONLY for driving on. There is no parking off the ice here. Untill we can drive on, the park a few blocks north is the only access available from the MN side.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Steve, I wished I would have seen this post before I tried it on my own. I drove around for over a half an hour looking. I could even see where the road ended at the river an cars driving out to the ice but I could not get there. Finally I had to stop at the liquor store and ask. It took the lady a while to remember, but when she told me I could not beleive that I should have turned onto a road I thought was a driveway. I had no idea it was going to be hidden so well.

Headed out today. I am not liking the reports but I figured that I will give it the old college try.

There's also a sign in the park, but it's in the small parking next to the overflow parking. That's how I figured it out, years ago.

• 2 years later...

Was down at the entrance road by the RR tracks this weekend and it was blocked off. "NO TRESPASSING" sign in the middle of the road. Anyone know if this will go away once there's safe ice, or has Bayport finally shut us out?

Was down at the entrance road by the RR tracks this weekend and it was blocked off. "NO TRESPASSING" sign in the middle of the road. Anyone know if this will go away once there's safe ice, or has Bayport finally shut us out?

Uh-oh.

There's a lot of people that use that road, so hopefully it opens up in a while. It should.

I suppose a call to Bayport City Hall is in order...

• 6 years later...