• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

State Record ?

Musky Buck

I don't like to bring up scoring bucks but I keep getting an email from a friend and they found a typical buck dead during rifle season and it scored 205. What is our typical record by archery,rifle,musket ? I would post the pic., but the person holding it I wouldn't want to throw that all over the net. I don't think he'd appreciate it and without his permission I wouldn't do it. Just curious.

John Breen Buck 202" Minnesota typical state record. See if you can get permission to post the pics, I'm sure a lot of us would love to see them.

BreenWall.jpg

ask his permission to post it, if he says fine, email it to me and I will post it here.............

Ok, might take some doing, I could e-mail it to you, just don't post until I get an Ok which might be tough to do, maybe not. I know the guy holding it, actually played baseball with him for years, but lost touch since retirement. They found it dead and couldn't tell if it had been poached or an arrow or what caused the death, I would say it is every bit what the Breen buck was. What is crazy is if it truly scored 205, 4 miles from where it was found came the 2005 state record by musket, non-typical however, and I can't get a bite on selling my land in that area, is there a source on here for selling land, I would think there is. Need your e-mail address.

Musky Buck, get the okay and send it to my email. Just click on my name and you will find the email.....only if you get permission.....

Sorry Dave, should try to get permission first my bad, I just wanted to know what the typical record is because I thought it was more than 205. My uncle told me it was scored at 205 but was it really. It has a huge rack. I actually figured most people have seen it already. BigLake has seen it, so it's out there, I just owe the guy holding it some privacy. Would love to post it, but maybe someone on here knows him better than myself and could post it with his permission, I would have no problem e-mailing it to individuals, just don't want to be the reason he is getting maybe even calls or bothered by people. So 202 is the record, thanks, now I know that this deer had a shot possibly. There is a running rumor around that an archery hunter wounded it and never found it, but who knows.

B Amish is correct.

I think I posted it in fact. Got it from someone to post up.

I'll believe the story when its in print somewhere with some solid info behind it.

Seems to be another case like the other hundred record bucks sent around the internet that never surface again.

where on the site? get an offical B&C measurement to measure it and see what it scores. 205" is a big deer!

the story is true. i don't know if the score is 100% accurate, but the buck is real and was found dead last fall.

i was at a party with some friends a few months ago and got to see it. i'd say close to 200" or better. the guy showing it off said it was 202 or something like that. thing had like 28" beams, HUGE! however, the person showing it wasn't the guy holding it in the prior picture, but i'm sure it was the same woodpile!

Hate to be naysayer, and without some point of reference I could be off a little, but as an official scorer for 20 years, no way that nets over 200". Big buck though and I'd love to see an official score.

I dont think it grosses 205.

If it was truly a state record potential, I'd sure think we would have seen something about it in some publication by now.

Or the guy is Mitch Rampola's cousin, and isnt going to ever officially score it or display it. laugh

That's what I mean, lots of people throwing numbers around, it is quite a specimen. Knowing the guy holding it, I don't doubt the unfortunate truth about the deer. I guess I questioned my uncle on this 205 thing and that's why I wanted to find out what the state record was so if I saw official verification I'd know where that buck stood just for my own curiosity. Wish the guy holding it would've had the chance to harvest it.

i believe the deer in the picture was found in manitoba.

i'm 99% sure i know of the deer your talking about. i'm a official measurer for minneasota and last may at a meeting another measurer from bemidji, had a picture and scoresheet of a found deer he had measured. the guy who found it dosen't want it to be known where it was found.

last weekend i was measuring at sportsmans warehouse in fargo, and the measurer from bemidji was also there and showed me another picture of the guy with the head mounted, no pictures have been published anywhere according to the measurer. the pictures are the measurers who has to take pictures to enter it into b&c. the person who found it still hasn't entered it into boone and crockett.

i believe it grossed 204+ and netted in the 190's typical. lets hope he decides to enter it so minnesota can get recognition it deserves for being able to grow big bucks.

there was also a nice bow kill from wilkin county from '08 that should be around #10 for minnesota p&y grossing 185" and netting 181"

i called the measurer of the deer i'm talking about, and i was mistaken, the guy recently enter it into boone. it was found in hubbard county, the finder had been trying to harvest this deer the previous 2 years and said the found head was smaller than when he'd seen it alive. it officially grossed 203-5/8 and netted 180-2/8 typ. with an inside spread of 24-2/8 and mainbeams of 28"

Manitoba ? How about 3 miles north of Deer Creek MN inbetween Bluffton,New York Mills and Deer Creek(Leaf River Bottom). I wouldn't enter it either like they must be choosing to do. He don't need no slap on the back and a sheet of paper just the same as the guy who muzzleloaded the state record in 2005 4 miles away from where this buck was found, he isn't promoting that buck at all and that's just the way small town people are with strong values, they don't want any limelight, it's a deer to them, something they've grown up with hunting and scouting. That Leaf River bottom is an area that I believe produces the most consistent trophy bucks every year. Those fortunate enough to know of it, know what I'm talking about. You could fill an outdoor news with trophy bucks coming out of that area. But, all of that ground is private and most don't share to much with other hunting parties about what they have taken. My uncle regularly talks to the guy holding the horns so I'll throw Manitoba at him and see what he has to say.

Thanx, so the guy who found it found it in Hubbard county ? Interesting that these guys would be in Hubbard county since all of their land that I'm aware of is in Ottertail county. Craziness eh ?

sorry musky i thought the deer your talking about was officially scored. not to many found 200"+ the one i'm talking about was in hubbard county and officially scored. so the pictures posted are the deer? thought i saw that pic. posted in the canada section on these forums.