• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Blainebob

Crooked 2/8

Blainebob

Got out today on crooked from 2-7:30. What a zoo! Lots of snowmobiles and fishermen(and women). Did a good job of staying away from the crowd, had to hop around a bit to find some biters. Did the best in 16 fow with fish suspended around 10ft.Bunch of gills and 8 crappies, nothing over 9".Seemed like the fish were timid at times,perhaps due to the sleds flying 5 ft from your door? There were only a scant few people that stayed past dusk for the crappie bite. Auger blades getting dull,took a while to drill. I wonder if anyone still has them available. Just a beautiful day to be on the ice!

Burnham

i was out there for a couple hours yesterday also(1-330ish). i fished from 10-20 feet of water, and was graphing fish in 10 feet but didnt have any takers. Blainebob, i was the one in the green honda civic moving around the south end of the lake if ya saw me. just out of curiosity were you on the north or south end?

Blainebob

I was on the west side-straight across the lake from the old beach.There were a few people in the spot where I normally fish, but they left a little after 4,so I moved and was able to get set up just before the crappies started biting. No 12inchers like a few weeks ago,but some nevertheless. I figure they are now moving towards the deep hole on the east side,south of the pier. Thats the area I have caught them in early spring after spawning, plan to try there next weekend.

Blainebob

Anyone been out? Wondering what the ice is like after the rain the other day. Hitting it tommorrow to try for some of the 12inchers like a few weeks ago

mww24

blainebob. I went there today. walked to the lake by the park. the runoff drain had opened the ice up. Other than that the ice looked o.k a lot of perms out and i saw 1 truck. I didn't venture out on the ice though. I had a 5 year old with me, and anytime i see open water. no go for me and him

Blainebob

Was out today from 2-6:30. I also walk out from the park, walked around the open water drain by the dock. Started in 22fow south of the dock, moved in shallower to 10ft. A few gills,a few perch. Lots of small bass swimming around down there. Walked to my normal spot straight out from the old beach,16fow, caught a bunch of 7inch gills, one 9 inch gill on a chubby darter, and 6 crappies from 5:45-6:15. Everyone packed up and left at 5:30,right before the crappies started. Whats up with that? More for me I guess.

archeral566

what have you been using to catch gills? will small crappie minnows work?

archeral566

are you guys talking about crooked lake by andover?

Blainebob

Yes,that crooked lake. I stopped buying minnows a while ago,have only been using colored larvae. Even the crappies have been hitting the larvae,they have been biting very light this year. Been using Genz worms,ratso,frostee jigging spoons. You can try minnows,but I gave up on them.

archeral566

i got some berkley powerbait which looks likes waxies, do you think those would work?

Blainebob

Dont know,dont use waxies. Give it a shot. I just have been going very small with my bait/presentation.Been working well for me. Quite a difference between euros and waxies IMO.

Blainebob

Was out yesterday, 2/22 from 4-8:30. Just pounded the crappies! 35-40 fish,most between 9-12 inches,with just a few smaller ones. A dozen or so gills,one perch. My best day out in a while. The bite started at 5pm and just kept going! Caught a couple on a #3 chubby.Had something decent on, rod was halfway down the hole while I was tying a jig on my other rod,totally missed it. I did release ALL fish,as I have all winter,hopefully to help the population. Still probaably a couple weeks left.

Moses2531

Do you mean to tell me that you caught multiple 12 inch Crappies out of Crooked Lake?

anglingedge

moses whats up its joe. I guess i gotta start fishin crooked again.

Blainebob

Do you mean to tell me that you caught multiple 12 inch Crappies out of Crooked Lake?

only a couple 12s- the majority of them were 10s. Thats what my stanley tape measure said. Threw em all back

thedanimalkmk

Are you sure that thing ain't metric Mr. Bob? I have fished Crooked for fifteen years and can count on one hand how many 10 inch crappies I have caught. On the other hand if you are catching them nice work.

Dan

Blainebob

Dont know what to say. The best crappie bite Ive ever had out there. Did real good last spring,but not that quality of fish in that time period. Been fishing a different part of the lake,not the place I've been fishing in all winter. Closer to where I've seen them spawn. Hitting it up again this weekend.

thedanimalkmk

Good luck to ya and I'm glad to hear that someone is catching some fish of size out there.

Dan

bassphish2005

no doubt......Blaine better try and keep that spot a secret,or it will get pounded!!! Metro lake and all.I have a honey hole on a simular north metro lake,and would die before giving up that spot/lake.It took years to find it,and many hours of scouting to put it all together.No I am not a jerk,but it is that important to me and my fishing partner.

Blainebob

Yeah, I've got to learn to keep my mouth shut,otherwise those fish I have been catching wont be there for long.

Moses2531

Hey Joe, yeah it sounds like you better get to Crooked... And Blainebob I wasnt trying to sound mocking by any means! I'm with the danimal, been fishing it for years and have got a handful of Crappies that I've even thought were edible, so honestly good for you! Its great when you find a metro spot like that, but yeah your going to for sure not want much news of that to get out, did you see the crowds pile in there after the "walleye rumors" got out!? Haha, there were more people pulling lindy-rigs out there than Mille Lacs for awhile there! But I'm somewhat partial to Crooked and your gem of a Crappie spot, because I sat a distance away from those "walleye anglers" and took full advantage of the wonders of walleye stocking! smilesmile

Riverratpete

Too much Mercury in there anyways.. : )