• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
duckhuntr21

Tulibees????

duckhuntr21

Has anyone heard of or tried any tulibee fishing in the area lately?

Pooh

we wait till houses come off usually. only a couple more weeks

TonkaBass

how do you fish them?

Gissert

Once you find a lake that has a tullibee bite going, you usually fish them with a flash type spoon like a pimple with the hook removed. Where the hook used to be, have a 2-3 foot section of line with a bluegill size lure dropped below with a waxie or some spikes.

They will often suspend over deep water, or on the deep side of a sharp drop into deep water.

A good flasher is the most important part, as they can be almost anywhere in the water column.

fishandshroom

People are starting to fish them on Star not sure how they are doing.

duckhuntr21

i didn't check star this weekend but pickerel, molly stark, and clitheral didn't have hardly any tracks out where i have usually fished them. are they fishing on star right off of 35 kind of by that bridge?

GRAND DAD

I haven't been to Star this year, But normaly they fish'em right off Beaver Dam RD but that doesn't mean they don't by the Bridge.

Pooh

before i go and do this... can i tie more than one fly to me dropper line under my flasher? the regs say:

"Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one

hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered

three hooks and is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies may

be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass."

ive hear of guys doing it but is it legal for tulibee??

TonkaBass

Maybe I'll head up to East battle here one of these weekends, but I have never tried for them out there, just caught them by fluke. I do remember however some pretty substantial summer kills in the past years. Apparently there must be plenty that survive.

Pooh

ive heard that tulibees on one of the Battle are wormy i dont remember if its east or west, i THINK it was west but not for sure on that. ive wanted to get out there to see for myself if they are or not.

can anyone else vouch for this?

duckhuntr21

For the last few years, they have been wormy on the south end of clitheral. we fished on east battle two years ago and they were ok then

TonkaBass

have you guys ever tried a plain hook? I have heard some guys using a plain hook and dipping it in some sort of chemical that tulibees are supposed to like, i just cant remember what it's called.

fishlakeman

TonkaBass,

I've tried some pretty miniture presentations for tulibees, never the plain hook, but I've always found the agressive presentation with either a forage minnow or buckshot rattlespoon resulting in the best success by far. I have used these baits plain, and their blood red hook was more than enough for them to strike. Let just say the hook was no longer red by the end of the day.

I had a spot on Otter Tail a couple years back where we were catching constant jumbo perch and walleyes off the bottom, and about every 5 minutes a tullibee 10-15 ft off the bottom would show up. The buckshots were killer for all species. One of the funnest days of fishing I can remember. Ended up releasing about 30 tullies, kept 20, 11in perch, and 6 15-17 inch walleyes. Released probably 30 11-13 inch walleyes. The time was late Feb, the last wknd of walleyes if I can remember correctly.

TonkaBass

Awesome one of these days I should give it a try. Buckshots are awesome for everything!

bigbluepirahna

They should be biting on tenter lake in dent. that is usually the first lake to get going and they will bite late into the morning, where most all the other lakes start to shut down about an hour or so after the sun comes up. They run on the small side, but provide plenty of action. Otherwise try loon lake in vergas. That's usually an early go.

Best of luck!

fishuhalik

I've done really well on them on Big Sandy, using tiny hair jigs. The fish in that lake were feeding on mayfly larvae, so we cut 'em open, took the larvae out and used them for bait. The larvae outperformed anything else 5-1.

fishuhalik

BTW, in my opinion tullies are the funnest fish to catch through the ice, period. They fight like a salmon, average around 2-3 1/2 lbs, and ya catch 'em on light tackle. Can't be beat.

Pooh

i agree i fished em one year farly early and did well. we were fishing 65 FOW and were only about 3 feet off the bottom. we let the spoon fall all the way down and give your reel 3 cranks. usually buy the time u had three cranks you were reeling it up with a fish on. had to pack up and go home cause we ran out of bait. the fish weren that big 1-2 pounds but man were they fun on light rods.

alwaysonthemove

Has anyone ever tried fishing tullibees on ottertail. The lake is full of them. Assuming the problem would be there is so much deep water. Just Curious!

pan man

heard the tullies where wormy in otter. but i guess that no matter what lake they are in they have worm probblems

tacklebox7FF

yeah. it's hard to find ones without worms in them... some days you catch a bunch with no worms and other days you catch a few with worms

chris63

When you say wormy,do you mean black spots on the outside skin or small whitish colored worms inside the skin and sometimes in the meat itself?c63

DEADhead

the whitish/yellow colored worms in the flesh. I pass on the tapeworm, don't want to take any chances.

chris63

Even if the fish has broad tapeworm as long as there cooked properly and or frozen first (0 degrees for 48 hours)you will kill the parasite.c63

Pooh

i would rather not be eating worms