• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Should I feel bad about this?

AvonAngler

Not sure if I should feel bad about something I did on Saturday. I started fishing early on Saturday morning at 5am on one of my local lakes. From my driveway, I can get to lake accesses, for three different lakes, in less than 1 minute and one more lake is only 5 mins away. So I started fishing early on the lake furthest from my house and picked up some decent crappies early before dawn. Once it got more light out, the crappie bite stopped. I fished a little while longer looking for some sunnies before I decided to leave and move to one of the lakes I can see from the back of my house. I drove out on the lake and got set up (did not even use my portable as the temp was pretty nice). I fished there for a while and decided I would leave soon as I could not get anything other than micro perch to hit anything. As I thought about packing up and leaving, a truck drove out on the lake and pulled up and stopped within 20 feet of me. Two guys got out and came over and asked how fishing was going. Before I could even answer, one of the guys saw the crappies in my bucket that I had caught at earlier at lake #1 and got all excited and pointed them out to his buddy. Boy they got wound up and assumed I got them right there where I was sitting on a bucket. Next thing I know they walk back to their truck and grab their auger and I kid you not...drilled 5 holes not even 15 feet from me!!! What the heck???!!!!!! You'd think they'd never caught a fish in their life and were bound and determined to get some of the crappie bounty they assumed came from the ice directly beneath me. I just shook my head and told them good luck, packed up my stuff and left.

I guess my point here is if someone asked me how things were going and went and did their own thing, I can respect that. When they go crazy and set up on top of me because of what they saw, I could not help just letting them think they had struck gold.

Should I feel bad leaving them there fishing madly for fish that were not there??

You have no reason to feel bad, that actually is pretty funny! I hope that they didn't catch anything!!! People like that deserve to not catch any fish.

NOPE! let them chase them i bet they threw every lure they had at those invisible crappies that were down there

a few years back I was on my way home and stopped at a small chunk of water to put some fresh water in my bucket of fish.Two guys pulled up saw the fish and I told them what I was doing.They did not believe me and thought I was trying to keep the(honey hole) to myself.I actually found joy in watching them fish it for the next 3 nights in a row.They approached me as aholes so I feel like you reap what you sow.

I've done something similar and even offered them a jig I was using to catch the fish. I went to my tackle box and got rid of a few jigs I don't like that don't catch fish for me. They thought it was great that a guy would give up his hot spot and even the hot bait!

I was laughing so hard on the way home I had to pull over twice.

Yes, you should feel bad! But you should only feel bad about asking to feel bad. grin People like that deserve nothing but scorn, contempt, and bad fishing. I typically have large enough reserves of the first two, and it sounds like you lead them perfectly to the third, so they got their comeuppance.

On a related note, I know a few fisherman who enjoy watching the sheep on Mille Lacs gather around marker buoys that are marking nothing but open water. In fact, I know a guy who throws out a few of them in the spring in order to distract the sheep from his own trolling pattern. There's not much funnier than a line of boats slaloming buoys in 20 ft of water while we're catching fish in 8. Now, I do feel bad when I see one of my friend's boats out there, but that's where my reserves of scorn and contempt come in handy! smile

That's funny! Don't feel bad at all. You should've drove back an hour later to see how they were doing laugh

Haaa I did not even need to drive. I could see them out my kitchen window. They were still there at 4 in the afternoon!! They had not moved a bit from where they were when I left..

AvonAngler: I wouldn't feel bad, you sure didn't steer them in the wrong direction, they took it upon themselves to assume you caught the fish there. And then they wanted to sit on your lap and ask for a hug too. I'll bet you were laughing all the way home. Bill

Of course it would suck if you did go back to find that they both limited out on slabs right after you left. crazy

Judging by their actions though, the fact they stayed in the same spot doesn't tell me they were on a hot bite, just too lazy to move and drill.

seen this yesterday and i am still laughing. done good, matter of fact i more than likely would of fulled them more full of sh11. i mean stories.

That is funny I can't stand people like that. When I was at the river I would set out a marker a little ways away from me so they would see it and go fish it! most people only stayed by the marker for 10-15 mins. lol