• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
swanbait

How was Leech this weekend?

swanbait

Just checking in to see how everyone did on leech lake this weekend.

motley man

Very slow on Wednesday.

Hendoo97'

Three of us were on Leech Saturday Feb 7th from 9am to 4:30pm. Accessed out from the pine-point area. Went out by ourselves a little ways away from the crowd and did ok. The wind was a PAIN in the A$$! Kept 17 perch between 10-13 inches and 3 bonus walleye's 15-17 inches. Caught a lot of small perch as well, missed some fish too. There were fish on the Vex most of the day, but they were really fussy. Tried every jig and bait combo you could think of, with no real pattern found. Patience was the key. If it got slow in one hole, I would walk over to another and try it for a while. I'm guessing the fishing is going to stay tough until the March warm-up. I'm going out of a different access to a different area next week to do a little scouting. I'll drop a new report after next weekend.

Good Luck to all.

lindy rig

Me and a buddy fished Leech on Friday, Feb 6. We tried some areas around Goose Island and ended up staying put on our 4th location in between Goose and Ottertail Pt. Lots of small perch to sort through, but we kept 9 jumbos. Also had one eater walleye and another big slot fish 25" that we put back.

We had sleds and portables, the vehicle locations are still pretty limited out there. Some patches of slush, but seems to be getting better. We shoveled out an area for the house, but then had to deal with 2 inches of standing water. Good luck.

TCon17

3 of us out Saturday and Sunday off Stoney. plenty of 5-8" perch, but they moved around a lot. Never found any over 9". 9 eyes between us total, 2 keepers, and a 25". Pretty slow. We did find that to get fish to at least stay long enough to get a bite we had to work our baits pretty aggressively. During the day we could see the fish down the hole and that was the only way to get them to hang around for a little while. bigger baits for the perch and smaller for the eyes was the general rule it seemed.

swanbait

Thanks for the info. I do agree that the Perch fishing will heat up with the March warm-up...I figure Perch this time of the year are just a bonus. It sounds like it was slow in general this weekend. I was out a little on Sunday morning and marked fish the whole time and only caught a few small ones. At least I was not totally alone in that regards!

budboy

I am coming to leech sat can you give me a idea for a depth for perch?

chasineyes

Is it raining up there and what effect will that have on the ice?

swanbait

Budboy, fish Perch in 9-12 feet of water, maybe a little deeper if you are in Walker Bay/Cedar Point. In a few weeks as it gets warmer and no snow on the ice they will be in 3-6 feet of water. The key to success this past weekend was to stay mobile, move until you find good fish.

swanbait

It is raining here. Drizzle all day and about 35 degrees. It is raining steadily right now at 6:30 and is still 35 degrees. Forecast is for above freezing temps and rain all night. There is enough ice that it won't hurt it yet. Should put a good dent in the snow though and when it freezes again you should be able to drive right over top of what is left. I will report back when the rain is done to let you know what actually happens

bassislife

Was up on Leech for the first and last time! You want real perch??? go to Mille Lacs!!!

lindy rig

Was up on Leech for the first and last time!

Much appreciated!

bassislife

Thank you! When I catch my 9 jumbos on Mille lacs, I won't need any eater walleyes to add the the meal! Hee Hee!

tweeder

yeah i hope it picks up in march or i might have to just focus on pout!!

Sutty

Ya cause Mille Lacs is going great gangbusters now??

lindy rig

Thank you! When I catch my 9 jumbos on Mille lacs, I won't need any eater walleyes to add the the meal! Hee Hee!

Then you should really just quietly head to Mille Lacs and stop being a jerk. Some people... jeezz

budboy

Mille lacs is going gangbusters if you want 4-5 inchers it will be a couple 3 weeks before you start getting any #s of true jumbos.

bassislife

Flats are hot right now if you know where to go!!

Golly jeezz Wally..... I'm quietly tip towing over there Thursday!

ISU Grad

I fished Leech on Feb 6th-8th. We fished just off of Adventure North Resort on Friday. Perch we caught 5-6 keeper perch and did well on the walleye that night with 6 keepers. Saturday we took sleds out near Big Hardwood point and fished near a pressure ridge and absolutly hammered the jumbo perch. We had 8 guys (4 fishing seriously and 4 drinking seriously) we managed to catch around 90 keepers with at least that many thrown back. We also managed to catch a 23.5" walleye and a northern. The next day was slower. We hit Big Hardwood again, went through sucker bay and Bowmans Point. We ended up back at Big Hardwood again in the evening and at around 4:30 the jumbos showed up again. I managed to catch my limit both days. This is my 4th year of going to Leech and we have always managed to catch very nice jumbos.

budboy

How deep at hardwood

Get-em-good

There are plenty of nice jumbos in Leech and for numbers, I have always done better there than on Mille Lacs. Of course it used to be easy to fill a pail with ML jumbos, but that time has long sinced past.

Also, ML has the bigger ones 12-14 inchers are possible here. But there are plenty in Leech that are 11-12 and sometimes to 13. Plus the eye fishing has been alot better the last few years.

Love both lakes, Milly and Leech. But right now, Leech seems to have the better bite.

ISU Grad

We were fishing 17-19 feet off of Big Hardwood. One thing that I forgot to mention is on Sunday when we started hammering the perch again we had 3 guys and around 15 holes drilled. We would fish for 10 min. or untill we hit 2 jumbos and then move. I caught 10 jumbos in 30 min that way. We didn't have to move very far.

budboy

Thanks my first time ever there and any info would help. We rented a sleeper shack from Acorn Hill.

lindy rig

Nice report ISU... we have fished Hardwood during open water season but not in winter.

How big was the pressure ridge?