• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help Quick

Guest Kyle

so i found a breeder is retired, but he has two goldens that are from the same litter. Well they had an oops, and had 10 puppies. the parents are from really good background, and the breeder had always kept bloodlines very far apart.He has info on the mother, grandma, and great grandma of the parents, and everything shows that the bloodline is solid and has never had any kind of same bloodline breeding. This is the first time its even been close in the bloodline. the last male he has is prime! and its going for cheap. What should I do? is this one time crossing an issue? I heard sometimes breeders will breed a sibling to standardize the bloodline. There are no signs of health issues across the bloodline at all. What do you think?

i would say get the dogs a oops on the first time won't hurt go get one i bet you won't find a golden with bloodlines that you know about for cheap take advantage

If there are no health problems from the start I would say that the pups should stay healthy. If they are in the price range you are looking for and have good bloodlines I'd say go for it.

I would say that the dog is going to be OK but It is inbreeding and the dogs should not be sold with papers or and definately be spayd or nutered. He should be letting them go for darn near free no mater the background and with no breeding rights.Mistakes happen and the dog may be perfectly healthy and hunt and all but this would definately be the ethical thing to do.As a responsible breeder.

The actual act of inbreeding is for the most part a safe route when breeding dogs. There chomosones are much different than ours and you do not run the same risks as humans. It was/is (more so years ago) an effective tool to strengthen or solidify a line that a breeder was working on. Back then many father to daughter breedings happend.

It in effect magnafies all that makes up a dog. The good, the bad and the ugly.

So in essence, if your dog had a fantastic coat, it would further enhance the coat, if it had a whippy - curled tail, it would become more whippy curled, an inherited disorder would also be passed down automatically. You knew what traits you are dealing with, so the outcome is a lot easier to predict than with an outcross. So you saw a lot of breeders who had what they considered a very good specimen and tried to move it to one level closer to perfection. Now progressive generations of inbreeding will cause problems, solely from the magnification of traits being manipulated to an extreme, then an outcross would be needed. Once they achieved their ideals in a line, they would then begin successive line breeding, which many experts consider a slow death for any line.

Wild canines (ie: wolves, 'yotes etc.) always have and always will have a certain amount of inbreeding within their pack and it either further strengthens or further weakens the core.

All in all it should be fine. Look at the parents, their looks, style, personality and deffects and you should have a good idea of what your pup will turn into.

Good Luck!

Ken

I decided not to. I couldnt help feeling uneasy about not having any certified medical papers. thought the dogs are probably good,and they are really cheap, in the long run, I dont want to have to spend a fortune should something happen, and then find out it was directly related to the inbreeding. Thanks everyone

I don't think there will be an issue with any health things it is just simply an ethical deal that should not be looked twards breeding prospects. Yes you will here several opinions sending you in different ways and that is fine do not base your decision on my opinion, check with a vet, google the topic of inbreeding and read up on it and make an educated decision. The dogs do deserve at the least a good home like you probably can give and may be a great hunting dog for you.

I don't think there will be an issue with any health things it is just simply an ethical deal that should not be looked twards breeding prospects.

I agree that the breeding itself is not a necessarily reason for concern if the parents have the proper health certifications. If they do not have the proper health certifications I would not feel safe saying that I would not think there could not be health issues.

If the parents did not have the proper health certs IMO you made a good choice. IMO, while all dogs deserve a good home, breeders need to be responsible and have the proper health certs for any breedings.

I agree with hemi. There is some great pages on google k-9 inbreeding, scroll some of the farther down ones and you will definately find varried opinions, Yes some breeders have and may still use inbreeding as a tool the responsible one knows how to control where and when or if that offspring is to be used in a future breeding, not selling the pups to the rest of the world to let pandoras box open. Because it is proven that this continued action will and has caused genetic defects, shortened lifespans, high litter mortality rates and several other issues that can come up if a novise breeder takes an inbred dog and does not know what they are doing. I bet this guy probably would not do this normaly. I personaly would not EVER try to let it happen, In todays world there is plenty of good options out there for stud choices and proper line or out cross breeding. Some will say there is three types of breeding, Line, out cross, and inbreeding. And a good breeder uses all three. Thats there opinion, but I bet if they do a inbreeding they don't let the offspring go as breedable dogs.They most likely keep a pup or two or the whole litter to moniter and use the one or two that gives them what they wanted and home the rest with spay or nuter agreements. It is a touchy subjuct but it just one of many. So good luck with what ever you decide.Ken