• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New O/U this year?

DRH1175

I am lookin at the berettas an brownings. What should I look at? Want a nice light quick handling pheasant gun in 12ga

I was going to buy a new Beretta since the one I shot last fall fit me better than a Browning Cynergy but just ended up getting a used Browning Citori that was made in the 70's for half the price of a new Browning or Beretta. I hate to say it, but these tough economic times are causing some people to sell their guns for pretty good prices for people who are willing to buy used.

Make sure you get a good feel for each gun before buying one. Since the locking mechanisms are very different, they each give a unique feel and mount when handling. The Browning's receiver is much thicker than the Beretta and most people will have a specific preference. Both designs are great but make sure you know which one fits you better. Good luck!

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but for me, guns with English/straight stocks shoulder much faster. I don't own any with straight stock, but have shot a few that felt great. I shoot a Franchi O/U and my wife has a Citori 20 and love them both. That 20 is a sweet, light little gun.

Yes, make sure you buy a gun that fits you. The Citori 12 gauge I got felt very natural when I pulled it up with my eyes closed and even felt different than the Cynergy I tried last fall. I was going with a Beretta until I tried this one out. Best thing to do would be to visit a gun shop and pick a few different guns up.

I hate to say it, but these tough economic times are causing some people to sell their guns for pretty good prices for people who are willing to buy used.

this is a true statement.....i went and was looking to buy one tried a few and ended up goin with a "used" mossberg silver reserve for $200 under book value and i couldn't be happier took it outta the box hit the clays course and shot 40 out of 50 so don't rule out the smaller doubles price isn't everything IMO

I prefer Berettas strictly of fit and feel. Basically all of the Beretta 68X series have the same internals. What's different is the type of engraving etc. The lightest 12 gauge Beretta makes is the 687 Ultralight. Mine is just a shade under 6 pounds. They really buck with a heavy pheasant load, but they are definitely pleasant to carry all day. One thing to keep in mind is that they only have a 2 3/4" chamber. If you are looking for a 3" chamber and a more all around (slightly heavier) gun, I'd say the White Onyx or Silver Pigeon S is a good choice. They are basically the same gun, but the Silver Pigeon S has a little more engraving.

Where is the best place to find a quaility used one. The used ones I have found at Gander etc... Are as much as a new one.

I would check at local pawn shops and also watch the classified ads in the paper. Maybe Reeds in Walker also. I have found in the Northern part of the state anyway, that the smaller gun shops tend to run cheaper on gun prices than the big ones like Gander, etc. I got a Benelli Nova at one place for nearly $70 less than Gander was selling it for.

I have both a Browning, Belgium made and a Traditions. Both shoot well but they are heavy to carry all day.

Personally for me, I like a lighter gun.

The Super black eagle is a great lite weight shot gun. If you have the money I think in my opinion its the best gun out there.

I agree on the Super Black Eagle as I already own one. Just been wanting an O/U to add to my arsenal and for Phesant and clay shooting.

Yes, the SB Eagles are awesome guns and would be an excellent pick for a semi-auto. A few of my friends have them and it weighs a fraction compared to my Nova.

I shoot a Franchi Alcione and really like it. Made by Beretta now. It beats me up a little when I shoot trap, but don't feel a thing when I shoot at a bird. Lightweight too.

What is the difference between the Franchi, Beretta, and Brownings? Are they all simular quaility? I looked at a few guns at Joes not too long ago and they talked the Franchi down sayting they were a decent gun but nothing like the Berettas and Brownings.

I have shot my stoger m-2000 now for three seasons and love it, same action as the SBE, just in a little cheaper case, light enough for me all day, and runs around 400 brand new compared to 1200! Stogers condor O/U got my attention a couple years ago but haven't had the opportunity to handle one or see one in action.

Agreed Hubercita and Koonie.

I had my eye on a White Onyx that was new and at about $1300. The next group of B guns were at about $1700. By the time I recd the proper permission for the Onyx, it was gone. What sold me on the Franchi was the ability to put a 20 ga barrel on the same receiver for about another $400. Of course I can't find a 20 ga barrel anywhere. I think that I paid about $1250 used but in great shape.

Like others have said, it really comes down to what fits and feels right. The Beretta and Franchi fit me, the Browning didn't.

I have a Franchi Griffone I picked up on clearance at GM a few years back, and it has been great. Light weight, shoulders great, and has been reliable. Just feels good. It does kick a little bit, but I think that is the trade off for having a lightweight gun. Haven't regretted that purchase one bit.

If I remember correctly, Franchi is kind of the midlevel gun from the Berretta/Benelli/Franchi/Stoger family.

I have a Remington Premier Field grade that I purchased two years ago. I shoot year around in training plus hunting and love the gun..

Exactly, see what fits. The Berettas are an exelant choice but so are others, I strugleg to have one pull up and fit nice till I tried out the Cortonas which are made from the same people as cesar gurinie.

How do you like the Cortonas? They peaked my interest while watching a hunting show on the Outdoor Channel a few months ago.

Well I like mine, I have the Grande sporting, 30" with the ported barrels. Light and swings nice and not allot of shock either.

The barrel select and safeties differ from gun to gun. I have a Weatherby made by SKB that has a top tang safety but a trigger mounted push pin barell select. I have a Ruger red label with a top tange safety and barel select and because both are on the same lever the safty must be pushed at an awkward angle-not straight up. When switching from gun to gun it takes some thought to push at an angle.

Also, the guns differ in second trigger cock. Some guns are inertia driven and others are mechanical. Each has it's advantages. I have had light loads fail to cock my Weatheryby on very cold days costing me birds. Handloaders or cheap load shooters who fire an ocassional dud like the mechanical second shot too. Tournament trap guys like the mechanical too for obvious reasons, most mass produced guns made today come with an inertia system because it is cheaper.

I like a greener box lock because because of it's low profile making it easy to palm. They also shoot in with wear. Other type of locking mechanisms get notoriously loose after wear. I like a gun to break under it's own weight but not drop open-otherwise it takes deliberate thought not to shoot your empties all over the place when breaking it with one hand as the other runs a collar or whistle.

Other actions have way more room for ornate engraving if that's your thing.

Remember when swithing from a pump , always keep your barrel in a safe position following a single shot. Just a light tap on the butt as you bring your gun down can cause the second shot to fire inadvertantly if you finger is still on the trigger- which it inevitably is. Hans

I picked up a Citori Lightning Feather in 16ga last fall and it was a treat to carry last year. I put on a lot of miles walking and it was nice to have the lighter gun not wearing you down all day long.