• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boy, you'll get a million different tanswers on this one.

For me, hands down a NILS for a gas auger. If your considering a electric auger for a permanent hose, check out the Ice Gator. It is another awesome auger new the last two years. Check out this Nils post to maybe find a few answers.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ers_so_great_Lo

http://www.icegator.com/

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/nils-master.html

I bought a Eskimo Mako 43cc 8" and I love it! Its fast starts first pull no matter what, and its quiet.

Nils is the best. A Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express is nice too for darn near half the price of a Nils.

the best auger is the one that cuts a hole in the ice doesn't really matter as long as they do the job right?

Nils for me, costs more but I feel money well invested. 2nd choice would be a Strikemaster Strike Lite, who knows where the next 2 stroke motors will be coming from and what kind of reliability will be with them. Now that Tecumseh has stopped making 2 strokes parts will become harder and harder to find for the old reliable Jiffys and Strikemasters.

BTW cost difference between the Strike Lite and Nils was about $20. IMO all steel construction, lightning fast, quiet and light weight is well wirth the extra.

I am a strikemaster owner (2) and think they make a fine product. I also just aquired a new Ice Gator 24v Electric Auger. I spend quite a few week nights in the perm shack chasing walleye in SW Mn and having no fumes is beyond fantastic. Although I have no issues with my Strikemasters, I have been plagued by the curse of using a Nils gas auger and now must own one. It will be my next purchase. No questions asked. No extension needed. Pure raw cutting power and a motor that winds so smooth it is unbelievable. I can't put my name on the owners list yet, but will soon. Do some research of your own, ask around on the board for people to be in the same area you plan on fishing and see if you can sample the different makes and models. There are tons of great people on here that will allow you to sample the cutting ability of the different brands. I have done this plenty of times and that is how I came to my conclusion of what I wanted. Good Luck and Happy Fishing!

i guess i have heard of handles breaking in the (strikemasters)? and lots of carb problems with the jiffy? thinkit is the same carb is it not. niles looks ok but i also wonder on the auger size. not very often you need 10 but it does come along. (37 in northern just under 20 lbs) hl i have read a bunch but manufacters want to sell.

If you want to try the best, most of sat. and all day sunday I will be on tetonka if you want to come and cut holes you can use my nils. we may have to cut many holes at first, but you gotta do what have to. Let me know.

ryan, next time your in fairmont, look me up, i have a nils and a strike -lite, you are welcome to try them out. hope to sell the strike lite soon, i prefer the nils for hole hopping, but the 4 stroke strikemaster is a sweet rig also...no smoke!!

jiffy hands down, took it out of the box,connected the auger,put gas in it and it runs like a champ,cuts like a hot knife threw butter

I am a faithful Jiffy owner but only till I can afford a Nils!

I have no complaints at all about my Jiffy, it starts quick and sure beats a hand auger, but the Nils augers are in a class of their own as far as cutting ease and speed go.

Nils. Fantastic powerhead. Can run 50:1 mix. Less smoke in fishhouse. Handle set up so you can drill tight to the wall corner holes. Light and fast. Well worth the money.

On the oil mix note, I would recommend to everyone to switch over from what ever you run now to Amsoil Saber. I have ran almost 2 gallons of gas with Amsoil and it is a huge differnce from standard oils. Much easier starting and no binding up on the bottom of the hole!

Get it here!

Which ever one cuts the ice is the best. I guess for me a nils, strikemaster or jiffy are all good. If the one you own, or want works good thats gonna be the best one that works for you. There is small differances that make each one "differant" but they all perform the same task, in basically the same way. SO i believe that there isnt one "right" auger or one "better" auger out there.

Strike Lite 4 stroke laser hands down. Just got one and well cant beat it. Does not stink up house, cuts great, no mixing of oil , gas. Starts easy. worth the money.

anyone know the easiest place to get amsoil

i found some at napa a month ago. not sure if there is one or it is in stock in your area though.

thanks to all for advise. rocki i will look you up when in town! hawkeye not sure if i will get there before late afternoon sunday. Phone # or what your driving? thanks to all!!! Rocki e-mail me [email protected]

i have a eskimo stingray i like it i had to get the carb done but other then that it cuts fast and is pretty quiet, "its always iffy with a jiffy" smile i dont like the way jiffys spray ice and water up so high and all over dont wear jeans with a jiffy you will bne wet from the knees down for sure in my own opinion

You sound like a buddy of mine. A Nils auger is by far a better auger than the others out there for speed, noise, exhaust(I believe you can mix 100:1), weight, and everything else. I guess if none of that matters then save the money and get a hand auger... that has the same result as well.

I am under the assumption you have never used a Nils?? You would not make that comment if you have!! It is just the facts. Effortless drilling of holes is a beautiful thing.

Nice comments, but I think Nils has enough Pro-Staff and people here pushing their products for them already. Some people have differing opinions. Nils are nice and may be the best auger, but so is a Strikemaster and like already said, they cost quite a bit less. To me, the high end Nils is not a few hundred dollars better than a Lazer, they are VERY close to equal IMO.

one thing that you need to keep in mind is that an auger WILL brake and i don't know where you would get parts fast for a nils.... i know they are made over seas .....i know i strikmaster is made in big lake mn .....and i have a service center 100 yards away from where i work so .....just one thing to keep in mind