• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northern Around St. Cloud

Is this the one with the steep access that cant drive down if there is lots of snow? I fished out there last year no one else on the lake only a few perms out there as well, no luck though

I guess you could call it a little steep but never thought of it as an issue. If there was any concern it should be gone now with the warm weather taking the snow off the access.

Carnelianlake, did you go to Centennial? I noticed you have Circle Pines as your location. I graduated '04. My parents house is right across from Kate Haven.

Hey. Just seeing if anybody can give me some help on getting a pike on Goodner's. I've seen a lot of people getting them out there and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips that could up my odds on getting one. Specifically if suckers work best and what depth to put the bait at. I've found a lot of panfish so I've been fishing mostly for them. But earlier today somebody had there tip up set up about 20 yards from me and they got a little northern, then about a half hour later I had a pike come across my camera. He came back about 4 times, so I decided to put a sucker on and try for him. He came back once more but didn't take the bait. So I know where to find them, just hoping somebody could help so I have a better shot at getting one of them to bite. Also, if I put a sucker on my main fishing line is it best to just use a plain hook and let the sucker do the work?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sounds like you have never been fishing before????? Nords bite on ANYTHING! I've caught them on leeches, crappie min's, fatheads, Shiners, suckers, spinners, DD, raps, ect, ect, ect. Since you can offer 2 lines during the winter I suggest 2 diff. setups. Find out what they like and use it. Find a weedline and fish it!

Good Luck!

Not as helpful of a comment as I had hoped for but thanks anyways. And I have only been fishing for northerns once and that was in the summer, just started ice fishing this winter so sorry I'm not a pro. I'm just looking to see if anything has been working better for people recently.

Goodners look to the deep weed line and set up as close as you can. Suckers shiners and bigger chubs work well for tip ups. I like to set up 1-2 feet from bottom. For the bigger northerns I like bigger lakes like birch or koronis. On theese lakes I fish rock humps and points. Catfreak some good northern fishing can be had right now on that lake you were fishing earlyer in the year just head west a few hundred yards from where you were fishing out by the island.

Thanks riverfishingmiss. How's Horseshoe been treating you lately?

And when you say out by the island, are you talking about that southeast area of Krons Bay, out across from the 22 access?

Hey catfreak, try using a plain hook and a sucker for the northerns. A lot of times if the northerns come in and dont hit, it can from an inactive minnow. I always try to make sure my minnows are moving quite a bit. The way you hook them can make a huge difference. Also try a large buckshot or pimple with the head of a fathead or small sucker, usually they can't resist. Good luck!

The one by krones. There is a good weedline out to 10-12ft. I have been doing better for the cats this week on one of the other lakes on the chain. Horseshoe has cooled off quite a bit in the last few weeks. Plenty of fish down there but they are not very agresive right now.

Yeah. That's why I started fishing Goodners. I initially went out there to try for some pike, but I found a good school of pannies. So I've just been fishing for them out there cuz they've been biting fairly good. Still a little slow, especially today, but it's better than getting skunked every day.

What time of day have you been hitting the pan fish on goodners? Fish the lake a lot in the summer but never in the winter yet. Any help would be great! Thanks

I usually go out there about 4 and leave around 6:30. They don't seem to be too willing to bite before 4, but any time after seems to work pretty well.