• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

There was a small wheelhouse on Collinwood on Friday.

I fished 3 lakes on Saturday; 2 lakes had 5-6 inches and the other lake had 3-4 inches.

workin'

Early Ice Eyes have began !!! for several days now the bite has been HOT !! Ice thickness verys from 5"s to one hit with the chisel BECAREFULL especially after the snow coming as you wont be able to see the freeze lines ! what seems to be working is that 15' to 21' range jigging Swedish pimples tipped with a minnow head and tip ups tied with moon glows , a few limits and several 4 and 5 fish trips nothing huge yet just nice 15" to 18" fish TASTIE MUCH

Hello GIANT1, could you recommend a safe spot for our portable on buffalo tonight? And what are Swedish pimples?

lookin4biglunkrs,

Swedish pimples are a pretty basic jiggin spoon that will work for whatever type of fish you're trying to catch. I'd definitely recommend going out and picking up a few, they're worth every penny. I was out on Buffalo over the weekend and you should be good to go wherever you please with the ice. I tried in front of the Kings House and got a few small crappies and a northern. For that lake though, I'd recommend stay just off the edge of the big groups of people, you'll catch more fish that way

I finally got my 4x8 permanent house out. 2 people can pull it, but it would be easy with boot spikes. I moved around and found the most action on a rod was some small perch in 12'. For whatever reason, the bait was setting off the tip ups all day. Once in a while a fish would pull line and drop the bait. I hooked one eventually, but it swam straight at me and spat the hook. A few hours later a flag went up, and I pulled in an empty hook. This was about 5 hours into the day, and the viking game was about the end, so I put quickstrike rigs on all the tip ups. Up until now, all action had been on one tip up in 10'. The tip up I had in 4' went off. I was so sick of finessing fish, I sprinted to the flag. It was spinning like crazy, and I just grabbed the T of the tip up and pulled. I finally got the 4 pound pike that had been bugging me all day. One fish made a bad day fun.

Hello All-Remember as you head OFF the lakes this winter to pick up your trash. I would estimate I picked up at least 3-4 cases worth of "empty's" last winter. If you had room to haul it out you have room to haul it back. The lakes are there for all of us to enjoy, lets keep them clean and healthy.

curious with high island, what all species are in there? the dnr website don't say anything or depth around the lake

curious with high island, what all species are in there? the dnr website don't say anything or depth around the lake

Like, someone else said. Some small walleyes and bullheads mostly, I've never caught a crappie out there, but I guess they are there also. Lake is extremely shallow. Maybe 8 ft at the deepest spot. Most of the lake is probably 5ft or less.

High Island is a very shallow. They have stocked walleye last couple of years. It has a nice public access and gets 9 feet at the deepest. Still there is lots of bullhead and carp. Some crappie, Pike and walleye population exist. The walleye are small. pike are at a low level of abundance

does anyone know where the deep hole is? i tried finding it but all i could find was 5ft at max?

I think it is in the southeast part of the lake, about as far away as you can get from the access. I haven't fished that deeper hole myself, but that's where I understand it is.

Caught 5 small northern on Sylvia tonight. All less than 20" threw them back for another day. About 10" of ice

Without a doubt I had my best day fishing in my life so far today on a local lake. I got out about 9 am, and imedately got a flag. It wasn't long before we pulled a pike just under 10 pounds through the ice. From then until about 2 pm it was a flag every 30 minutes or so. All but one pike was over 24", the smallest was abou 20". We released all pike. At 2 pm they picked up. We would get 2 flags at once. About 4 pm, I attempted to pull the plug from the lake. I swear I was snagged on a log until it moved. It gave a headshake that pulled my arm a feet at a time. I fought it for what seemed like forever, it was just a battle of inches at a time. Finally it was nearing the hole. It gave one last headshake and cut my 50 pound fluorocarbon leader like nothing. I never saw the fish. We pulled in a few more, and I got a second chance. It pulled out about 75 yards of line and stopped. After a few minutes, I decided to just set the hook. It was a dead standstill again. I pulled as hard as I dared. It was honestly stronger than I was. It soon gave up and got to the hole. I saw the swivel, and the fish tore off again. I got it back and The head was wider than my 8" hole. I tried to just get the nose up, but it wouldn't turn. I asked for the gaff, but it shook its head, and knocked the hook against the ice. After that we couldn't go 5 minutes without a flag. About half an hour after dark, they just stopped. We moved a little deeper, and got lots of small crappie to eat. We ended the day with between 30 and 40 pike, and about 20 crappie. I don't think I'll have a day like it for a long time. For pike we were on a saddle between two lake basins. For crappie we were at the drop off of the lake basin. Crappie loved really small minnows, and wax worms. Pike ate everything, but the best by far was a sucker at least 8" long with the tail cut off. We had 2 flags with hooligan (sea smelt) but both were dropped soon. It was the same thing other times I've tried it. Don't bother buying the AIS safe dead bait, you will waste your money. Even the hungriest pike will not eat them. You need real lake smelt.

I was thinking of trying sardines, on a tip-up. hooks would come out of bait easy, there would be lots of sent for the fish to find it. Plus you can eat them yourself if you get hungry. grin

I went back today and did ok in the morning, but it was nothing like friday. I got a really fat pike 36" and 15 pounds, but I gut hooked it. I'm changing brands of circle hooks, I gut hooked one yesterday too with the team catfish double action. We must have got 15 today, and it absolutely stopped when the cold front/wind moved in near dark. It was 3 dozen large suckers for me, a few mediums I had left from a few weeks ago, and some other friends that joined us brought some. I can't remember any other time I've had to go get more bait before.

Put the permanent out on Pulaski last night. Lost one fish on a rattle reel, lots of lookers. 12 inches of ice on one end of the house and only 9 inches on the opposite end. That lake never freezes well

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports