• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Yo,

The road out from McKinley park had to be rerouted Monday because of the slush problem.

We had very windy conditions over the weekend and the road filled up with snow. I'm just glad I took my shack of last Saturday. It was 30 below up here over night, so that may have helped some. We are however expecting highs in the 30's through the weekend and that won't help matters much.

"Ace" smile

Ace guide service.

frown Yes, I know!!

Very very hard drifts in all of the roads!

Hope to be able to get my houses plowed out today or tomorrow!

Cliff

How much ice is under that slush and snow? Am I foolish for thinking I am coming up for some late season ice fishing?

Lots of ice! 26" to 30" in most areas yet and making more every night! 29 below here last night!

Cliff

still some double ice tho, be carefull in the truck.. even though there is shallow enough snow in spots to drive

I fished close to the south-east shoreline of Spider Island on Sunday (to stay out of the strong winds with my portable) and had only 16 inches of ice there. Considering the heavy snow that Vermilion has received this winter, I would be cautious by protected shorelines driving a truck.

16 inches is plenty for a truck and really probably not much below average for early feb in a normal winter... i always remember driving out on 12 inches about jan 1-2.. but as always you can never really be sure where there is good ice and bad unless you start checking it

How we looking on ice for this weekend? I'm hoping to head out on saturday but am starting to get discouraged, all the lakes I drove past this morning appear to have a solid 1-2" of water on top frown.

or 5-6 inches of whitecaps between whats left of the bigger snowbanks, when you get water swirling around in circles it can really tear the ice apart, especialy under a fishouse with open holes under it. It was terrible getting off the lake last night around 9 pm. It looked nothing like it did at 4 pm when i arrived. It will all freeze up soon but ppl need to get their permys off until then just to be safe i think.

Should be able to drive trucks to most places now.....still some double ice out there though, so expect to break through.

Not saying it is a good idea to drive out, just saying that the snow has receeded enough making truck travel possible in most places.

Hey guys. I have a snowmobile trip planned this weekend on Vermillion. I was just wondering how the lake is for riding. sounds alittle wet... Would any of you know how the trails are?

The lake is sloppy, but still has snow. Hopefully things firm up a bit with this warm weather passing. Not sure on the trails, they were in really good shape before this rain and warmth. Hopefully conditions are good for your trip!

The Taconite trail goes right past my house and it looks pretty bad right now. Lots of water and slush on the trail and a lot of snow has melted in the last couple of days.

"Ace"

Ace guide service.

Don't be discouraged at least not yet, the weather report shows it cooling down and there is prediction tonight of 1-2 inches of snow this evening. Thursday through Sunday it should cool quite a bit, hopefully enough to freeze that top layer of water on the lakes. I am no meterologist but I'd love to be one, you have a 50% chance of being right almost everytime and you never really get fired for being wrong!

I was on the lake this morning and decided to pull my fishhouses for the season. I drove thru 4" to 6" of water on top of the ice getting to them in the morning! By this afternoon when I pulled my last house off I was driving thru 8" to 1 ft. of water! frown

There was very little snow left on much of Big Bay except for the plowed snow banks. It will be very good going now if this mess ever refreezes!

Cliff

There was very little snow left on much of Big Bay except for the plowed snow banks. It will be very good going now if this mess ever refreezes!

Cliff

I hope that it doesn't refreeze. Hoping for an early Spring with early ice out. I have had it with Winter!!

10-4, on the, had it with winter. I have had one dang problem after another. Bring on the long sunny days. I just want this white stuff to melt very slowly and not all in one day!!!

i for one hope for some nice glare ice so i can skate up onto trout lake.. lots of trout/crappie fishing left.. doesn't anyone fish in march??

March can be a great month for fishing... not every year but its worth a try. We'll see you up there.

Any new reports on travel conditions? Specifically the road out of Stuntz Bay. I'm trying to get to the north side of Ely Island Saturday. I went up on New Years day and couldn't get to my place, too much slush. I went up mid-January and was able to get there by snowmobile, snow was still too deep for the truck. I'd like to drive cross-ice this weekend, but will haul the sled if necessary. Maybe too wet for either? Any help is appreciated. I have a five hour drive to get to the lake, and don't want do it if I can't make the last mile and have to turn around and go home.

There was around 3" to 4" of water on the Stuntz Bay Road on Wed.

Very little snow left that day on the ice except for plowed road banks. We got 2" to 3" of snow last night.

Truck travel there is possible now I would think. Probably wet though!

Cliff

This cold - er weather helping the ice at all? was looking at coming up on Saturday. Just curious if i would be able to drive out or not

were all wondering the same thing.. its been snowing a little bit but I'm guessing things should be ok in many spots for the weekend... there is already enough ice to not break through on a sled in the places I've been.. I will try and post later on in the week..