• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Law

Scott Stein

has anybody heard anything about this new law that will require anyone who has not boughten a bow license before this coming year,to have to take a Bowhunter Ed Class in order to get a license? its kind of like the trapping license ordeal,take a whole day class,then a whole field day just in order to buy a license! imo its a pain in the rear,just thankful ive had a license b4 so if it becomes a law i will be exempt

I would like to see that law passed. Most new archers are ready to hunt but could use some help and direction in archery hunting.

The Archery hunters do not need any more bad wraps about poor archery hunters with bad ethics and wounded deer that with a little education could be better afield.

I believe we do owe it to the wildlife to be prepared as possible before we go hunting with a bow.

im mixed, im lucky im going into my 9th year by my gf is thinking about starting and i know if i tell her she has to go to a class she will get mad, or she will make me go with her

my gf is thinking about starting and i know if i tell her she has to go to a class she will get mad, or she will make me go with her

So go with her! I'm sure you could benefit from it- I'm sure we all could benefit from it.

I'm with harvey on this one. I'm generally against more regulation and greater governmental control/involvement, but I have to agree with harvey for the reasons he stated. If they required this for new archers, I'd take it even if it wasn't required for me.

This would be a good law. I have bow hunted for years, and see to many people who do not spend the time shooting there bow before going hunting.

I would agree to this law also for the above mentioned reasons.

I have and still bow hunt, I am still willing to take a class if there would be one closer to me.

Glad its a rumer! Most everything in this state is TOO controled and it all has a fee payible to the state!To participate.

Whatever I've done in Mn required some kind of a license/permit then follow up classes to keep it and everything has a charge.

No taxes but a fee for everything!

I hunted for the first time last year with a bow and to be honest I think it's not that bad of an idea. I actually would have sat in on one if I had to. Maybe would have learned something. I know when I did hunter safety the instructor gave us soo many tips it was well worth it to do it in person.

I am a Bowhunter Ed Instructor and I have not heard of this. I think it should be mandatory, it already is in several states. I agree with Harvey and Scoot and...all the rest.

Archery hunting is different enough from other forms of hunting that there should be some form of specific education geared towards the sport.

All kinds of bowhunter related stuff. From scents to scouting to stand placement, yardage estimation, equipment, treestand safety, blood trailing, shot placement, ethics, tresspass laws, etc.

I agree that there are too many laws already and we as hunter's are responsible for teaching new comers to hunt and fish. Part of the experience for the sportsman is to show others what we all enjoy about the outdoors. Please, we all have a duty to teach others how to shoot,fish, and be safe in whatever we do.

Yes, Black Bay, that is the Hunter Ed class offered by the DNR. It only pays the instructor for the time he spends offering his time for this class. No profit here at all for the state.

I don't believe its my job to make sure all hunters have ethics and are ready to archery hunt but I will help out any newcomer to the sport if they are interested in learning. It really is the duty of the new archer to make sure they are in tune with the sport they are interested in.

Archery hunting for deer is growing and we need to make sure that the new archers have done what is needed to be a safe and qualified archers. Way to many poor archers with either no ethics or poor knowledge are giving the sport of archery hunting a bad wrap.

Yes, there will always be a bad hit and a lost deer even with expierenced archers but I would hope that all would take the time

needed to make sure they are as knowledgable as they can be before they hit the field to go hunting.

The Hunter Ed classes offer so much in regards to any sport. As mentioned above, one can learn every aspect of archery hunting and for sure make them a better archers.

It all comes down to one very important factor and that is we all as archers owe it to the animal to be well prepared to have a safe and successful hunt.

I surely don't mean to upset anyone but we really do need to help promote the sport of archery hunting and as I stated we owe it to the animal and all the other archers that go afield.

I'm by no means a supporter of more taxes or fees but the Hunter Ed classes are not that expensive and one will learn so much from it.

I have seen over the years so many that can shoot pretty good at 20 yards but they have no idea what they are trying to do when they take that questionable shot or shot at to long of a distance.

I realize that within time from expierence and hunting afield we will be a better archer but we should at a minimum start out with at least the best skills we can acquire.

I myself took this Hunter Ed class a few years back and was also asked if I would help teach one of these classes. If I had more time I would have also done that. After archery hunting for more than 20 years, I still learned things that others do to make my expierence outdoors better.

In regards to the cost of the class, with all the money we spend as archers, whats another $10 bucks to learn a few things or better yet, maybe help out a new comers to the sport?

What great about the Archery forum here on Fishing Minnesota is a newcomer can learn many things about the sport by asking questions and learning from the other archers here on Fishing Minnesota.

I have mixed feelings on this. Yes its good to teach hunter ethics, proper shot placement, range estimation, etc. but we don't want to make it too difficult to recruit future bow hunters. If a kid or anybody for that matter decides in June that hes wants to buy a bow and hunt that fall but then finds out he needs to take a class before he can buy an license, and most classes are held in the winter, you're making it into an 18 month ordeal just for them to archery hunt. That will discourage new hunters.

Plus I wasn't that impressed with the class I went to (in order to be able to hunt out of state). It lasted from 8 AM to 6:30 PM on a Sat, it got to be an ordeal. Do they really need to go over the history of archery and big game identification?? I think most people can identify an elk from a moose, especially at archery distances. Shorten up the class, cover the main points, and call it a day.

I wouldn't be opposed to the course being mandatory. I took it 7-8 years ago and it was pretty painless. I'm signing my fiance up for it this spring, not because she needs it to hunt here in MN, but because it's a great class for all experience levels, especially newcomers. Besides, it'll give the flexibility to participate in metro and out-of-state hunts. Not a bad deal for devoting one day to.

Why pick on bow hunters -

How about a mandatory class for fisherman on the proper way to release a fish?

How about a refresher course ever 5 years for firearms?

If you own a boat you must take a class on how to identify and remove invasive species.

Next thing I will have to take a class on how to pick up [PoorWordUsage] from my dog.

Two things. First, Harvey, the instructors DO NOT get any of the money. It is all volunteer. Some of it may go to the venue hosting the class.

Next, Blackjack. Every instructor will cover different material. I'm sorry your class was not everything you were hoping for but these classes are geared towards newer hunters. The thing that really makes the classes loose some of the fun is experienced archers who think they know it all (I'm not saying this is you) and are not happy about "having" to take the class in order to do their special hunt.

Still, like Harvey said most everyone who takes a class should walk out at the end of the day having learned something new.

I had to take the bowhunter ed coarse to go hunting out west. I personaly feel everyone who bowhunts should take it. Everyone who buys a rifle tag born after 12/31/79 has to have firearms safty to get a tag, why not the same for bohunter ed.

I think the way it is now is pathetic. If you are born after the above date, you can still buy a archery tag and hunt, but you missed out on many of the other things, saftey wise, learned in the firearms coarse.

I would like to see it passed. If you have not taken it, you should. You never know when you will get a chance to go to a mountain state and hunt.

I have never taken the class, but I dont think it is a bad idea. I personally think the best teacher when it comes to the outdoors is going to be your dad or a father-like figure that takes the time to take you afield and really show you what its like. But for those who cant experience that taking classes from experienced people would be a good option.

I'm kind of torn on the issue. On one hand the idea of more education is a good thing, but the mandatory nature and the imposing of ANOTHER regulation is hard to swallow.

Also, just because people have to take the class, doesn't mean they are dialed in and get a lot out of it. It is better than nothing, but just because they take the class doesn't mean they won't make a bad shot or show some poor hunting ethics.

Just like anything else it is going to be what you make of it.

This is a great post. It opened up my mind to the fact we could all use some new knowledge regarding a sport we enjoy. Plus I think I might take the class if its available near me. This way i can use the criculum(sp) to teach my two younger bow hunters coming up in the ranks. We can all use a little extra education and take in anothers perspective.

On this note I think there should be a manditor class and testing for boat drivers and even licenses just like driving a car. A boat is just as dangeours as a car but thats another subject and posting.

mr

I think I am going to have to disagree with this law. I belive that the best way to become a great bowhunter is by learning everything out in the field on your own. This was only my second year bowhunting and I have learned so much about deer and there habbitat, the importance of scouting, and being scent free. the first year hunting i spent about 60 hours in the stand and didn't even see a deer. Last season I took time before the season to scout my surrounding area and foung a good spot to hunt. The first time hunting it I saw my first deer. But it also saw me and I got busted. Later that night I shot my first deer. Threwout the season I picked up a few tricks of the trade by spending time in the stand, watching deer bust me, and learning from these mistakes that I have made. This to me is a much better learning experence than any class could give me.

So would you pass on your once in a lifetime moose tag just because their is a manditory class involved if you dont go your tag is no good and there goes your lifetime hunt. My dad had surgery for prostate cancer 3 days before our class if he didnt go he could not hunt with me he sat in pain through the class so he could hunt. Guess what the old guy also shot our moose