• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Safe easy to get to spots to fish the Red in the F/M area

In town for a few weeks for work and times when I get off early enough me and a couple of guys would enjoy fishing the Red for some Walleye. We have all the gear we need just no snow cat or four wheeler so walk in spots that we can pull the portable would be great. Thanks for any pointers.

Okay thought some people would have some advice by now, but I guess not. Tonight two of fished from Troll wood park off of Elm st & 35th ave. n. Access was an easy walk from the road. We fished an inside bend close by in 7 FOW. Missed one that apeared to be a nice walleye bite around 5pm. around 6:30 pm we cought a couple Golden eye. Wondering if this spot would pay to fish again? I think tomorrow we will drive around and try to find another spot. It looks like maybe Oak grove park (not sure on the name, oak something) off of 40th ave S in Moorhead a guy can gane river access. Guess ill let you all know how that goes tomorrow. Unless we get pointed in another direction with a few good tips smile

Sorry for the delay in responding- been out with a sick kid all day. Very quickly (and without giving gps coordinates to any of my favorite spots), I'd suggest this- think of where fish will be in the spring. Then, work backwards for no more than a mile or two. This alone will eliminate a lot of water. Next, look for 4-8 FOW that's near deep water, has little current, and has wood nearby. If you find a spot like this, you stand a good chance to find fish.

Most importantly, be dang careful. Lots of bad ice this year. Bring rope, ice picks, and check ice depth frequently. Don't go alone and use your head. Good luck!

Hey thanks Scoot. After fishing last night I found a map of the red that shows me access points, dam's etc. It looks really helpful. Thanks for the tips.

Do you happen to know if the fargo N. dam is fishable?

Back home if i find a spot with Burbot or tuilibee hanging out i ussally can catch walleye's. here on the red are the goldeneye kind of the same way. basically if you catch goldeneye in a spot could you expect to be catching walleye?

Thanks again for the response! smile

Ultra, the ice at near the N Dam and to the N of that usually fluctuates between non-existant and marginal-at-best. I'd avoid anything downstream (North) of the North Dam for a ways. Then to the N of Trollwood is bad every year too. Be careful.

Some report doing well with goldeyes around. I've done best in spots where I haven't been catching too many goldeyes. I usually mark a lot of bait around in the spots I've done best, but not caught too many goldeyes. Occasionally I've caught a mix of both.

thanks for the help again. Tonight we got off work early and decided to fish off of 52nd Ave. S. in fargo. We drilled a lot of holes and ended up fishing straight across from the acces. we had 20 fow about 30 ft from shore. (had one line out there and missed two on it, both b4 dark) the next holes where in 15.5 fow about 20 ft from shore. (missed a couple and caught 2-3 goldeney's) moved towards shore another 10ft and sat in 11ft. caught & missed about 10 goldeneye. we had our house about 4ft closer towards shore and sat in 6.5 fow. with trees both up and down stream from us. the current up there and in the 11ft hole was almost non existant. There was 3 of us out there from about 3:30 to 7pm and no walleye. thought we maybe lucked into finding a good spot that was easy to fish smile thinking of heading down stream from there to the next bend, it looks promising. All in all it was awesome weather we fished outside the house most of the time & the goldeye offered up some excitement.

If you fish it on the weekends you have to be careful that you don't get run over by snowmobiles. A lot of them will follow the inside bend and be moving pretty good. I haven't ice fished the river on weekends for that reason. Maybe someone has some ideas to help avoid being bun over. Maybe some cones?

Ultralight, that bend downstream does have promise. However, be particularly there- there's a good bit of current there and there's a sewer drain in that bend that has bad ice near it most years.

huntnfish, I've taped/sewn reflective stickers/patches on most of my river gear for the reason you mentioned. Ed told me one time that a buddy of his had his Vexilar absolutely demolished by a snowmobile- apparently it flew a long ways and in many pieces! After that story, I found reflective material to sew on my rod bag and flasher case and I put reflective stickers on my 5 gallon bucket that I carry stuff with/sit on. It's easy and will hopefully take care of some of the concerns you mentioned (although not all of them because sleds going 80+ mph don't tend to slow down in time...)

ultralights- I've fished the red river periodically from north of fargo down to oxbow cc. Most of it has been summer fishing for cats and walleyes and some ice fishing for wallyeye with mixed results. Judging by the posts, the ice conditions don't seem too favorable for the adventurous ice fisherman. I'd like to hit up the rr for some 'eyes pretty soon here with the weather warming up. My past experiences have lead me to believe the fishing picks up with warmer weather. How have the ice condtions been? Any bait tips? Thanks.

The Ice has been really good where it’s good. Last night there was about 14-15 inches of ice. I haven’t caught a walleye on the red yet, but red and greens have been working on the “eyes” the golden ones at least. I will be out there next week again, going home for the weekend to avoid the crazy snow cats. If your up next week at all ill be on the river in a blue/grey fish trap x2 thermal portable.