• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro area fly fishing?

Carl Bjorgen

I'm wanting to get into some fly fishing this year. These TV shows on the outdoor channel this winter are getting to me.

I live about 10 minutes north of DT Minneapolis and was wondering how far I would need to go to find any kind of fly fishing action.

I know I can always cast a fly from my boat, but am more interested in wading into a stream or the river and going that route. I'd like to stay as close to home as possible for the sake of convenience but any comments are welcome.

Species of fish is less important than the proximity to my home base.

Any helpful suggestions would really be appreciated!

I live in the city of MPLS and flyfish any body of water that I would also spin or bait fish, including the Mississippi river.

We have a ton of species that can be caught on the fly!

Try the Rum River near St Francis. In the summer it is usually wadeable(don't try to wade if its flowing high--like up to the trees), and had plenty of smallies, pike and walleyes. I've caught all three on flies on one trip.

Just moved down to the cities as well. I fished a ton of water last year within a 20 min drive of the house. Caught everything from gills to northern. I was always mainly a river guy, but casting for bass, northerns and musky was a blast! Can't wait to do it again this year.

I used to spend tremendous amounts of time and energy driving to trout waters. Although I still love trout fishing, I now have a lifetimes worth of water right in my back door (I live in Mpls near harriet and calhoun). many many species to be had on the fly. Lots of variety in waters from tiny clear streams to the lakes and the 'ssippi. we are very fortunate to have so much water.

Don't overlook the opportunity to sight fish for carp, also. Carp are considered a trash fish, but they are a blast with a fly rod. There are a few good spots in the north metro.

I am a mississippi river addict on the fly but i hit the northern part of the croix alot (around pine city where the snake pours in) and a few others to boot. i live on the miss downtown and if you want some fly action fish below the stonearch bridge on the north side of the river. there is a wonderful shallow gravel bar (very wadable) there with access to some deeper water on both sides of it theres enough room to get some very long casts and really see what you can do. is a gem place to fish too lots of carp to sight fish on the shallow bar and edges (look for mud boils) and some pig smallies all over in the deeper water channles and pockets and other stuff ill let you discover on your own. you can (only when you learn currents because they can be trickey and very dangerous) float tube a small section just from under the bridge to about 50 yards past the brigde (downstream) ive found a large mud wall there that has pulled some walleye and big smallmouth. i better stop or i could go on forever, i just love that river. now some of you may ask why i give away so much, well you cant get to it with a boat with out alot of headache and most people wont go in the river not to mention its in a gourge more or less so there is foot work and finaly its really a better fly spot than a spin cast spot so i dont see it being over run, unless by flyfishermen which i would love to see more of us.

So any ways good luck to you all back to tying

Carl, I do alot of fly fishing in the Metro. You got every thing from the Mississippi to many small lakes in the area. I do alot of fishing from my float tube and it is a complete blast with the fly rod. If you ever need someone to go with I would be happy to show you some of my honey holes. Also, if you ever want to go tubin' I have a extra one.