• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Houseboat question

Getting into the inital planning stage of a family trip and daydreaming about warmer days. One idea was to go to Voyaguers in the summer with a houseboat. I have been to Kab a few different times, so it will be nice to see alot more of the park.

For those that have tried this before, are there any recommendations you could give? Boats, lakes, points of interest.

Ebel Houseboats is located on the Ash River Trail. You can access both Namakin and Kab. from there. I suggest pulling your own boat for fishing and exploring, it will get expensive in a hurry drivin' a houseboat around!! They will set you up with maps showing campsites, where you can't and can go. There are houseboat only and tent only campsites on the lakes. Same goes for Rainy Lake.

Have fun!!

Voyagaire out of Crane Lake is a busy place in the summer. Lotsa of helpers to load your boat and get you going. Many different sizes of boats to choose from. From Crane you can access Sand Point, Namakan, and Kabetogama. I think you'd have to run over the dam at Kettle Falls to get to Rainy Lake. They will shuttle supplies to you, wherever you are. You can't get lost anymore with GPS technology. I assume the boats are outfitted with GPS. It's all pretty spendy, but it's a [PoorWordUsage] of an adventure. I've been on all the lakes up there and I prefer launching from Crane, but Kab is equally beautiful. In strong Easterly winds I've found that Kab can get pretty rough to travel against the waves. One word of advice, get the insurance. Maybe it's mandatory now. There's a lot of rocks up there that aren't marked. A busted up lower unit can wreck a vacation quickly. Have fun and wave as you pass me by.

Also went with Ebel's, very nice trip. One thing not to miss is the Ellsworth Rock Garden. If you haven't seen this, bring a camera, it's pretty cool. Visit it every time I'm on Kab.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying a houseboat and have a few questions, Are there any marina's or slip sites available in the area?

Can you get a house boat through the falls, if not what size boat can be run through. Any other info would be great, pros and cons. Also if anyone knows someone with a houseboat for sale, I would be interested. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much

We rented one for a week out of Voyagaire (sp) in Crane Lake) and it was pretty fun.

You must beach the boats at nite at registered locations. One bit of advice I can give you is to avoid trying to beach in any wind. While the boats are nice, even a 10mph wind makes landing a 40' craft on the beach tough.

The mice really like running the ropes and getting onboard, especially later in the year or if you run the heat. Make sure you have some traps available (supplied by the vendor) and set them on the flight deck up top at nite.

Madfisher,

Since they put the dam in at Kettle Falls which I think was in the 1930's. You can't get any boat through the falls. Kettle Falls Resort will trailer a boat arunt the falls. Years ago a relative of Betty Lessard took a good sized boat through the falls. Pictures show he had a lot more guts than I do.

The last time saw the picture it was at Betty's "Berger's Trading Post". Since that is closed the picture might be at Scotts Resort in Crane Lake. Darrell Scott is Betty's great nephew.

We booked a houseboat out of Voyagaire at Crane Lake with the family for the third week in July. I have been to Kab a few times so I am looking forward to checking out a new area of the park. If anyone could point out some places to check out in the area and some fishing spots (walleye, smallies and pike)I should hit up, it would be appreciated.

You won't have any trouble finding scenery. Grassy Bay on Sand Point Lake has some good fishing spots and some serious scenery. There's a Houseboat Site about a third of a mile West of the Grassy Bay Cliffs. It's a good first day trip. Send a boat from the main lake to see if it's open. It's a long drive up the bay with a houseboat only to find out the site is in use. I've heard Little Trout Lake, which is adjacent to Grassy Bay has lakers. If you've got an inflatable or a canoe, it's a 1/4 mile portage from Grassy Bay and might be worth a day trip. You will have a blast.

My buddies and I just booked a houseboat trip on Crane out of Voyagiar in mid June, so I could give you a heads up on what we find. Would be nice to know where to fish and what to use before I go though, if anyone has some info they wouldn't mind sharing smile

Be sure to choose a central location to save on fuel. Be sure to visit Ellsworth's Rock Gardens and Kettle Falls Hotel. Ash River is a very popular starting point!

Ebels has 4-Stroke 60hp Suzuki's and the houseboat appliances are not generator dependent thus saving on fuel. Ash River is the central entrance to Voyageur's and is located about where Namakan and Kabetogama meet! Kettle Falls is only 17 miles or 2 1/2 hours away! You fishing and fun are very close.

OffTheHook-Her, Either way both are nice houseboat operations and do the best to serve their guests. Boats are comparable and services seem to be the same with the exception of a few things here and there. The National Park is great no matter where your trip begins!! Sounds like you may collect a check from Ebels how much do they pay!!

OffTheHook-Her, Either way both are nice houseboat operations and do the best to serve their guests. Boats are comparable and services seem to be the same with the exception of a few things here and there. The National Park is great no matter where your trip begins!! Sounds like you may collect a check from Ebels how much do they pay!!

You are right , very good information. I'm sure the wages are comparable to the Crane lake area.

Ive been going out of Voyagaire houseboats on Crane for fourteen years now and they go a fine job. crane, sandpoint, grassy bay, namakan, they're all really nice. The scenery is beautiful and you can find some out of the way places to have peace and solitude. The fishing opportunities are endless and can be quite good. Ive also done rainey lake houseboats a couple times but have never done ebels.

fazerfish - gimmee a shout and i can divulge a few spots (crane, sandpoint, grassy bay, namakan) that have worked in the past. There are plenty of fish to go around.

[email protected]

i should clarify - the only reason i have not done EBELS is because i have never gone into Kab via that location.

Im certain they are a fine establishment.

dont wanna ruffle any feathers.

I don't think you will ruffle any feathers.

My thoughts are all the houseboat operations up there are first class. If not they wouldn't last long. It just becomes a question of which area you want to launch and fish in.