• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishersofmen

Biggest Northern In Metro

fishersofmen

What is the biggest northern you guys have caught in the metro area?? I caught a 39 incher last week and am wondering if that is unusual for around here..........I typically don't fish for northern as with this one I was fishing for crappies with 3 pound test.

Sonicrunch

For a northern, thats pretty dang good.

Pics, stat!!

nik

39 inches is really good anywhere. The metro actually has pretty good pike fishing. I have landed several fish over the 36 inch mark in the North metro area. If you target them specifically, you will be surprised on how many big pike the metro has to offer.

jwhjr

That's a nice metro pike. 29" is the best I've gotten.

fishuhalik

It is kind of amazing, but there are a few lakes that are in the metro that still have some decent pike, even with all the pressure they get.

EJ77

Im not sure bout length, but the biggest one ive caught in the metro area is bout 12lbs. We do very well on opener every yr.

nik

Last weekend me and a bunch of buddies went out and set up a dozen tip ups. In two hours we got 15 pike. The biggest was 38 inches and 17 pounds. Shinners seem to be producing better than the sucker minnows. It barely fit through the 8 inch hole. All are still swimming, so go out and catch them if you can!!

Slimmerslammer

where are you guys catching these pike?

nik

I have been catching all my Pike in the Maple Grove/Plymouth area. Look for break lines near deeper water. I have been fishing in 10-13 FOW with the minnows sitting only about 1 foot below the ice. Big Shinner minnows seem to be the key. The only problem is finding the Shinners.

Andrew Erickson

ive gotten a 38" at harriet of all lakes.

JBMasterAngler

Biggest is 12 pounds, I caught it in the backwaters of the croix so I don't know if that technically counts as the metro area?

My dad used to catch 15+ pounders out of big marine and peltier (and the croix) numerous times back in the 60's and 70's...but back then those weren't metro lakes.

It's weird though, of all my big pike (7 pounds and up) I'd say 90% come out of rivers.

EBass

I'd say close to 39" on some metro lakes. Biggest by far was on the Croix. The thing was so old it barely fought. It was like pulling a log in that kinda rolled a lil. I felt bad and kept it in the water and popped the hook out and away it went. That was stupid - I should've got a pic first. That was my biggest pike ever. I couldn't grab it behind the head, it was that thick. Oh well, just a fish story now.

MuskieJunkie

36 for me, 39 is a monster for MN, especially in the metro.

EBass

sorry double post

TravP

I've seen numerous pike while muskie fishing in Rush that will go over 40

Twins 57 Fan

I caught a fat 37 on Beebe in early january. My guess was 15 pounds.

jeffstu82

The northern in my avatar was taken on Minnetonka last January. It measured in at 41.5", unfortuneately we didnt have a scale. This particular picture doesnt do it too much justice. Had massive gerth. If you look around and target then specifically you will find some lakes will enormous pike. Minnewashta and Minnetonka are my favs. I pulled this one of of the whole with 3lb test on a small shiner in 8ft of water on edge of weed line. Took roughly 45 minutes to land. I forgot my northern rod that afternoon so I had to comprimise. We have lost several in the last 2 years that would dwarf this one. I believe its about finding the right spots at the right time.

Ice-King

41" caught and released last year on Waconia

JBMasterAngler

A guy I work with is a die hard muskie angler, and he says he catches 3 to 6 10 pound+ pike a year on metro lakes...usually in the fall.

MnMike58

I caught a 39.5 inch northern 18 years ago.

sandbagger

33.5 inches for me. Caught it in a city pond roughly two acres and five feet deep. It's connected to a nearby stream.

Maximum12

I love finding good-sized pike in the metro. I've caught a lot of 30" & larger northern in open water & on the ice over the year.

And I agree, a 39" pike is a great fish anywhere, & it's a monster in the metro.

deadeye

38 was the biggest one I have gotten in the Metro. Anything over 36 is pretty big for the metro as far as im concerned. I have hooked some in the big miss that made the 38 look small, but just got broken line to show for it. Looked like the monsters from up in Canada, a good fish story to tell I guess.

nik

I think what makes Pike fishing so much fun is the stories that go along with it. You can pull hammer handles all day and when you finally hook into that big one and something goes wrong, you can always tell the story of the big one that got away. This will keep you coming back for more. Fishing for big fish and stories at the same time. What could be better?

BoxMN

Mine was 38" in a quite small and very used lake, released. That same lake we also have caught 21" walleye and many small tigers in the same location. The pike was about 10 years ago though, so it was either eaten by now, or it is REALLY BIG smile