• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

SHANTY

What is the best time of year to catch a big greenback? Where is the best place? red river? My buddies came up in the fall to red b/c they heard it was the best chance to land a big greenback. they had some bad weather and the water was dirty... they didn't get a thing. i have also been doing some research and it looks like red is the place to go? Please help me find the big one smirk where and when? I should of planned a ice fishing trip this year.

thanks

Scoot

Call Stu at Cats on the Red. He's near Lockport and he's on primo waters for sure! Stu'll take great care of you and you'll have a great time. March is a great time to be there, so there's still time to set something up.

LeeMB

As Scoot said, the end of Fed. to the end of March is the best time to be on the ice. I would fish Lake Winnipeg instead of the Red. You should have an excellent chance at a big one!

Ed Carlson

Right now would be good too.

Scoot

Now? No way! You'd never catch anything up there right now!!! wink

In fact, only crazy people would head up there this time of year... grin

Good luck up there, Ed. I hope you stick a biggun'!

SHANTY

Thanks guys! i have a four wheeler but not a snowmobile. will i need to bring either? how far of a walk or pull is it to "the spot" on the ice? Will there be any pernaments on the ice yet?

When does the ice start to get shady?

Ed Carlson

Not likely to be any permanents out on the lake, a 4 wheeler would be wise or the sled even better. The ice travel time may be 5 to 10 miles depending on what side you can access from.

It would be a long pull by hand, from anywhere, onto the lake to prime locations.

On the river access is not as long or difficult. Pull on is doable on many locations, ATV very doable.

LeeMB

From the guys I've talked to lately. I would stick to the the Lake. We are doing well most days. If you move a round you can usually scratch a minimum of 8-10 fish if you fish all day. If they are biting decent you can do 25.

There will be days coming up where 100 is not out the question.

There has been good numbers of big fish as well. It is odd for me to go out and NOT catch at least 1 MA. Average size of the fish are 20"-25". Some days you can get into pockets of dink fish though.

SHANTY

i would like to be there when your catching 100+ fish;) when does fishing really start to pick up? does the river pick up to... or is it just the main lake?

Been Rippin Lip

Hey Shanty, I fished it in nov. when it was really muddy and fast current, spent a week there but no go, I know from buddies it's a great fishery, but it wasnt my time. I've been told that in march or end of Feb it's great, but not in the river, only in the main lake? Not sure if this is true, if anybody knows please help Shanty out, by the way Stu, will set you up the best way possible.

SHANTY

Thanks beenrippin! hope u get them this year!