• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April Ice Outlook

Is it looking possible for april ice fishing this year? Would I be crazy to consider driving up from st. paul just for the day?

I'm usually out for that 1 weekend and maybe the second,but you have to know where to get on it where the sun and 4 wheelers have not killed the access.

A ladder helps to get on too.

If I do it, it'll be april 1st...so that's 2 or 3 days less for stuff to melt.

How does it work...southest part of lake get's less sun exposure and northwest melts first or vice versa?

I just want to be able to say I ice fished in april, but if I have to I suppose monday, march 30th would be ok. My fiance will be in st. cloud all that week getting things ready for our wedding on the 4th, so it's a hush hush mission. Oppurtunity wise that is the absolute worst time of year to go fishing. frown

I'll probably shoot you an e-mail when the time get's closer. Until then I'm gonna keep an eye on your reports.

Like CK says...depending on the spring, you can even drive a vehicle out....a couple of years back, the city lakes were ice free and we still drove on the ice up at BSL.

about 11 weeks to go....... 11 weeks of good ice fishing remain. Ice out last year on Sandy was...

[font:Arial Black]Name: Big Sandy

Average ice out: April 20

Earliest ice out: March 31, 2000

Latest ice out: May 4, 1996

• 1 month later...

Temps on the 10 day forecast looks pretty good...doesn't look like there's gonna be much melting going on. Maybe if mille lacs doesn't look good I'll make the trek to BSL on the 27th smile